Solution to the Oak Ridge/AC problem

futbolfan

I would lke to offer a suggestion that will fix the issue that occured at the b-ball game. Oak Ridge has multiple signs posted that directs fans where to sit. The incident Tuesday night could have easily been prevented if the home fans had been sitting in the correct area. Having been at the game (in very close proximity) I can tell you that no racial slurs were used. The ladies from AC did make the comment that "he needs to be ejected." This appeared to be enough to upset the mother and provoked her to turn around in the visitor section and respond. This would not have occured if they were sitting on the home side. This problem has the potential to occur again if the problem isn't rectified, Mr. Mullins. As for the player and his punishment, in the past players have received a year suspension from the TSSAA for going into the stands at a basketball game. (Shelbyville High School)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesnt matter if they brought anyone with them or not. The home school is in charge of security and provides the game administers for each contest. Im sure someone was there from the visiting school but again its not there job to control the fans. Also from what I hear from pretty reliable sources at the game, The refs lost control of the game early!! Its the referee associations job to put their best officials in these type of "rivalry" games and they didnt, Period! Next, the OR coach was trying his best to rub it in on AC. He was up by 27 pts with four minutes left and called a timeout to set up a play to get a kid a dunk! As a result the kid got fouled and tore every ligiment in his ankle and is out 3-5 weeks. And this is a good kid that can and probably will play college ball somewhere and hes out becuase his coach left his starters in a blowout and very tense situation. The OR coach was also Teed up in this game. Thers no excuse for going in the stands period! and I hope the TSSAA stays consistant and suspends him for a year and places OR on some sort of probation.

The AD from AC was there but I doubt there was anything he could do. And I don't believe you really have to sit in any assigned seat at a public basketball game. I have season tickets and don't always sit in them. Maybe not too smart to just sit anywhere but .....

This was a terrible thing to happen but talking about won't make it go away. Let the powers handle it and move on.

Edited by bounder

It was my understanding that AC had their Principal, two Assistant Principals, and their AD at the game. The AD was the one trying to keep things from erupting. As it was said earlier, it is the home teams job of handling security and the crowd. I would agree that the visiting team should have a representative to help with their fans. (As AC did) This is an unfortunate situation that WILL result in a lengthy suspension that will effect OR the remainder of the year. You must keep your emotions in check. Oak Ridge was unable to do this. As a result, they will be losing more than just the student-athlete in question.

It was my understanding that AC had their Principal, two Assistant Principals, and their AD at the game. The AD was the one trying to keep things from erupting. As it was said earlier, it is the home teams job of handling security and the crowd. I would agree that the visiting team should have a representative to help with their fans. (As AC did) This is an unfortunate situation that WILL result in a lengthy suspension that will effect OR the remainder of the year. You must keep your emotions in check. Oak Ridge was unable to do this. As a result, they will be losing more than just the student-athlete in question.

I wasn't present for this ugliness, but know many who were, one right there. The Woman from Oak Ridge shouldn't have been sitting over there. She lost her cool, and the kid did too. There were two other players that are suspened for trying to stop him from getting to the stands and that's unfortunate.

Rian has always been respectful and I hate to see him blow his cool like this but I hate it worse to watch other teamates sitting because they tried to stop him. He should feel worse about that than any punishment he gets. Coach Greene got T'ed for asking how they came up with their decisions one too many times when they wouldn't answer his question. Hardly ugly behavior, but this type talk and over statement of facts will occur for the rest of the year.

The fact that Oak Ridge will pay a heavier price than just this athlete was evident last night at Clinton. The refs in that game treated Oak Ridge like crap, started T'ing players up for nothing (only wildcats) and they actually created a tense situation that wasn't there because Clintons coach did exactely what many would do.... told his players to get very physical because they were gonna get away with it. I think if anyone who has posted here would just take the time to watch an Oak Ridge game ( I suggest the Clinton game from last night), you will see what the facts are, they are not dirty, they play hard and clean. ONE kid screwed up and his mother should be ashamed and probably not show her face at another basketball game, but the whole programs fine and coach Greene is doing a fine job as well.

Wiggle, Your wrong! A team usually takes on the personality of their coach, Usually! And this one does. Green questions and cries about every call and every non- call. In turn his players are always jawing to the refs and fans in the stands. ALWAYS! Green does a good job at winning and thats it. Doesnt matter that he cries the whole game and his kids get tee'd up every night, as long as they win. Also, Oak Ridge has brought this on themselves about the refs. They will never let the game get out of hand as they did against AC. They lost control of that game and this is what happens. Oh. and Hall always being respectful? Cmon Man. He is always pushing and jawing the other players. And you said Green got tee'd for asking how they came up with their decisions? Thats what I mean, he questions everything! I mean once or twice is ok, but every call? Cmon Man. Refs dont have to explain any of their calls to him or any coach, some do as a courtesy, but dont have to. He needs to coach the game and control his kids and let the refs call the games. And before you reply, yes I have seen the film of the AC game and Had friends there. Cmon Man!

Wiggle, Your wrong! A team usually takes on the personality of their coach, Usually! And this one does. Green questions and cries about every call and every non- call. In turn his players are always jawing to the refs and fans in the stands. ALWAYS! Green does a good job at winning and thats it. Doesnt matter that he cries the whole game and his kids get tee'd up every night, as long as they win. Also, Oak Ridge has brought this on themselves about the refs. They will never let the game get out of hand as they did against AC. They lost control of that game and this is what happens. Oh. and Hall always being respectful? Cmon Man. He is always pushing and jawing the other players. And you said Green got tee'd for asking how they came up with their decisions? Thats what I mean, he questions everything! I mean once or twice is ok, but every call? Cmon Man. Refs dont have to explain any of their calls to him or any coach, some do as a courtesy, but dont have to. He needs to coach the game and control his kids and let the refs call the games. And before you reply, yes I have seen the film of the AC game and Had friends there. Cmon Man!

I have been at darn near every OR basketball game for the last two years so do not try to tell me about Greene or OR basketball. I won't say it if I'm not pretty sure about it. Rian IS a respectful kid, I have spoken to him, you? NO, but your either arrogant or just stupid enough to talk about a high school kid like that. You sir, have less class than him. Since you watched the AC game, how many T's before the fight????? How many after the fight???? The fact is, the refs had control of this game, ONE AC player threw ONE ORplayer on the court, ONE very ugly scene, and that brings out the haters.

The fact is, your talking out of your butt pal. It's bad to be ignorant, but worse to open your mouth and prove it

There has been so much said with one side saying it was the others fault and vice versa. I was sitting at courtside and saw what happened up close. Daniel and Rian came down with a rebound together and Daniel was behind him with his arms around Rian.(he did have ahold of the ball also) They both took a couple steps back and lost their balance and both fell to the floor. Rian actually fell on top of Daniel when they landed and Daniel rolled him off of him when they got to the floor. There was NO SLAM. He actually cushioned his fall. Since Daniel did not let Rian go, it did look VERY bad. Rian jumped up and went after Daniel. Oak Ridge players did grab Rian immediately and take him to the bench. A couple of AC players did jump up on the bench when it started. Coach Wallace screamed at them to "sit down".

The referees were standing right in front of me about ten feet away, after the incident talking over what to do. I was trying to hear or read lips or whatever I could to find out what was going to happen. Suddenly people from the AC side were screaming for security. I do not know what was said up there so I cannot comment on that part. I do know the two women involved (one since we were in high school) and would be floored if the "N" word was used!! Rian did run into the stands and his arms were flying everywhere ( he was trying to throw people off of him. I can't say he was throwing punches, but he he did run into the stands like a madman.

Rian had been involved in some "gamesmanship" with the AC players, especially with Torres. Rian would laugh in his face if he missed a shot or had a turnover. I know this goes on in most games, it turns out Rian lost his cool first. Maybe Daniel should have turned loose of Rian before they fell, I know he was not trying to hurt Rian. I have known Daniel for some years and that is just not him. I do not know Rian as well, but I know several coaches that have coached him in AAU and I really believe this is out of character for him to lose his cool like this.

I have known Aaron since he was a freshman in high school. I have refereed some of his games in high school when he played for his father. I have to say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. His dad was tough on officials also. I heard everything Aaron said to the officials after Rian was ejected. He complained about the ejection every time the play was on his end of the floor. Finally Blake had had enough and "stuck him" so he would sit down and hush. I know the assigner for the officials was there and saw everything that happened.

This was an ugly situation that was bad for both sides. I think it is time to let it die now.