Clarksville Head Coaching search

cubs1

I saw on TSSAA website that West Creek posted that they were looking for a head coach. I thought that they have been trying to hire for a couple of months now. Did they "reopen" the position? The date says 2/21/2012. What is going on over there? :?:

Id say they want a certain type of person to interview for the job who will bend over and kiss their tails. The principals all hire the position, and three of them up there have no interest in sports, just in getting a central office job. It is a huge joke. I've heard at least 20 teachers in the school want out, it is a horrible place to work says the word on the street. Sports are not important, coaches are not important... it is not the place to go if you want a career.

I wish more West Creek people would get on here and tell what they think. The team they had this year would have easily have gone 7-3 under Shane Goodwin and his staff. They had the best wide reciever in the state and one of the best running backs in the city returning. It could have been a very good situation but the administration screwed it all up.

Don't go to West Creek, you'll be one year and done, it is not worth it. Principals need to go, not the coaches.

Id say they want a certain type of person to interview for the job who will bend over and kiss their tails. The principals all hire the position, and three of them up there have no interest in sports, just in getting a central office job. It is a huge joke.

It could have been a very good situation but the administration screwed it all up.

Don't go to West Creek, you'll be one year and done, it is not worth it. Principals need to go, not the coaches.

You said it! Johnson wants an "uncle Tom" over there who'll do nothing except follow THE WAY that Johnson wants things to be done. He may as well just name himself the head coach or hire another idiot like the last guy because no coach that is a worthwhile choice is ever going to want to work as a head coach in that setting. I heard that a pretty good coach from a surrounding county's school sent in his application and didn't even get a sniff. Clarksville better change things or their schools will continue to get pounded by Henry County, Dickson County, and Springfield year in and year out. This job has been "opened" 3 times and is still not even close to being filled.

• 2 weeks later...

You said it! Johnson wants an "uncle Tom" over there who'll do nothing except follow THE WAY that Johnson wants things to be done. He may as well just name himself the head coach or hire another idiot like the last guy because no coach that is a worthwhile choice is ever going to want to work as a head coach in that setting. I heard that a pretty good coach from a surrounding county's school sent in his application and didn't even get a sniff. Clarksville better change things or their schools will continue to get pounded by Henry County, Dickson County, and Springfield year in and year out. This job has been "opened" 3 times and is still not even close to being filled.

With that being said, has anyone come to the forefront for the West Creek job? I think we have finally found our coach here at the intersection of 13 & 48 North, but apparently has not been finalized.

You said it! Johnson wants an "uncle Tom" over there who'll do nothing except follow THE WAY that Johnson wants things to be done. He may as well just name himself the head coach or hire another idiot like the last guy because no coach that is a worthwhile choice is ever going to want to work as a head coach in that setting.

What are you saying? The A.D. wants to call the plays? You're being very vague. Explain :popcorneater:

Caught wind that the adm at West Creek brought a coach in this past Sunday for an interview. Does anyone know anything?

It was the second official interview and the job was offered but it was turned down mostly because when all was said and done the hour + drive one way, the pressure of teaching 6 EOC math classes and being the HC of a young program was more than he wanted to handle with a young family he would never see. He is a DC from a school outside Nashville, he was suprised that it moved as fast as he did once he applied. He felt very different about the administration than the picture painted about them here on coacht. Good Luck on their search at West Creek.

It was the second official interview and the job was offered but it was turned down mostly because when all was said and done the hour + drive one way, the pressure of teaching 6 EOC math classes and being the HC of a young program was more than he wanted to handle with a young family he would never see. He is a DC from a school outside Nashville, he was suprised that it moved as fast as he did once he applied. He felt very different about the administration than the picture painted about them here on coacht. Good Luck on their search at West Creek.

I'm not gonna lie. I love CoachT and I read it often, especially this post and I have received phone calls from potential coaches and there is a lot of inaccurate information. Obviously, this will be a biased filled response because emotions are involved. I'll refrain from giving you any negative opinions on the administration. I'll give you facts(good, bad, indifferent) and positive opinions.

Matt Slight (former AD and current WCHS AP) is a wonderful person. Dr. Diggs is a good lady who was put into a tough situation when she walked in the building. Most hire/fire decisons that happened in 2011-2012 were made before she walked in the building. The other two administrators have openly expressed their interest in being Principals and both hold the qualifications to do such in the near future. The principal and AD who hired the programs first Head Coach did not hold those positions when he was non-renewed. The non-renewal had nothing to do with football. It had everything to do with what Bucksfan mentioned about teaching load as I repeatedly said it is impossible to meet the expectations in Special Education paperwork, classroom teaching expectations, build a young football program that builds men of character, can compete with Henry County, and be a the Christian husband and father I'm called to be.

I had two daughters in the systems Elementary schools and I can tell you I was very impressed with the outcome in those two short years. CMCSS is unapologetic in it's priorities. They train their teachers well and have very high classroom teaching expectations of everyone including coaches. I found it very difficult to hire a staff of good coaches who could also meet the rigorous requirements expected in the classroom. That led, especially in the first year, to more work for me in terms of football. I want to mention that I was VERY blessed with a great coaching staff during my time there.

The second year the staff was filled out in mid July. The school year began with an interim Principal. Personally it felt like what people described an IRS audit to be like. Weekly lesson plans were required for even study halls and you were expected to be on your feet teaching in that class. Every period of every day for the first month an administrator walked in the class. After the non renewal they came in once(other than official evaluations) for the rest of the year.

I'll not speak on the issues surrounding the TSSAA violations because 18 months worth of daily prayer has helped me to forgive and move on. Explaining it only brings bitterness. I'll just say, those players deserved better than what happened and so did our staff. Parent issues were minimal and had nothing to do with the daparture. As for the West Creek kids....my eyes water when I think about what great kids are there. I wanted to be there forever because they are amazing individuals. In fifteen years of coaching I have never been with a group of kids that matched me personally in such a way. Their families were supportive. They were supportive, respectful, hard working, and absolutely opposite of what I was told they would be. I pray that some day I can coach a group of kids like that again. It's not just the football players. It's every sub group or team in the school. The faculty is amazing and very supportive. Every sport is coached by people who care about kids and the JROTC program is first class run by first class people which leads to a positive school environment. I can not explain the hurt that is felt when I think about leaving there. Good, bad, or indifferent CMCSS priorities were different from my priorities. As a parent I couldn't be more pleased with the system in terms of academics. In terms of football, I will directly quote the administration at Central office and WCHS, "You're not in Alabama anymore."

I'm not gonna lie. I love CoachT and I read it often, especially this post and I have received phone calls from potential coaches and there is a lot of inaccurate information. Obviously, this will be a biased filled response because emotions are involved. I'll refrain from giving you any negative opinions on the administration. I'll give you facts(good, bad, indifferent) and positive opinions.

Matt Slight (former AD and current WCHS AP) is a wonderful person. Dr. Diggs is a good lady who was put into a tough situation when she walked in the building. Most hire/fire decisons that happened in 2011-2012 were made before she walked in the building. The other two administrators have openly expressed their interest in being Principals and both hold the qualifications to do such in the near future. The principal and AD who hired the programs first Head Coach did not hold those positions when he was non-renewed. The non-renewal had nothing to do with football. It had everything to do with what Bucksfan mentioned about teaching load as I repeatedly said it is impossible to meet the expectations in Special Education paperwork, classroom teaching expectations, build a young football program that builds men of character, can compete with Henry County, and be a the Christian husband and father I'm called to be.

I had two daughters in the systems Elementary schools and I can tell you I was very impressed with the outcome in those two short years. CMCSS is unapologetic in it's priorities. They train their teachers well and have very high classroom teaching expectations of everyone including coaches. I found it very difficult to hire a staff of good coaches who could also meet the rigorous requirements expected in the classroom. That led, especially in the first year, to more work for me in terms of football. I want to mention that I was VERY blessed with a great coaching staff during my time there.

The second year the staff was filled out in mid July. The school year began with an interim Principal. Personally it felt like what people described an IRS audit to be like. Weekly lesson plans were required for even study halls and you were expected to be on your feet teaching in that class. Every period of every day for the first month an administrator walked in the class. After the non renewal they came in once(other than official evaluations) for the rest of the year.

I'll not speak on the issues surrounding the TSSAA violations because 18 months worth of daily prayer has helped me to forgive and move on. Explaining it only brings bitterness. I'll just say, those players deserved better than what happened and so did our staff. Parent issues were minimal and had nothing to do with the daparture. As for the West Creek kids....my eyes water when I think about what great kids are there. I wanted to be there forever because they are amazing individuals. In fifteen years of coaching I have never been with a group of kids that matched me personally in such a way. Their families were supportive. They were supportive, respectful, hard working, and absolutely opposite of what I was told they would be. I pray that some day I can coach a group of kids like that again. It's not just the football players. It's every sub group or team in the school. The faculty is amazing and very supportive. Every sport is coached by people who care about kids and the JROTC program is first class run by first class people which leads to a positive school environment. I can not explain the hurt that is felt when I think about leaving there. Good, bad, or indifferent CMCSS priorities were different from my priorities. As a parent I couldn't be more pleased with the system in terms of academics. In terms of football, I will directly quote the administration at Central office and WCHS, "You're not in Alabama anymore."

Good response coach and good luck. You sound like a class act. It's hard to walk away under any circumstances. I wish you all the best.

Couldn't have said it better, and a lot of what I said went back to personal experience. Suffice it to say buddy, you are the man and they lost a heck of a good one.