Tri-County Seven

coachh17

Cherokee is about three or four players down from when they played Eliz a month ago, and still almost managed to win on Elizs home court. It is good to be able to play bad and win, but its also bad to play bad.

With South Greene very down this year, and Greenville also down, this is a year when Eliz and Unicoi "should" both have sectional games, "if" they continue to improve over the next 6 weeks. This post Christmas tournament should be interesting. If anybody has the complete schedule please post it.

Merry Christmas fellas.

Grainger County may have something to say about this. They made it to Regional semis last year with 0 seniors.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grainger County may have something to say about this. They made it to Regional semis last year with 0 seniors.

You may be right. I have only seen Grainger twice. Last year in the Region when they were smoked by Elizabethton and did not look great and yesterday when they beat an average Sullivan East team. Elizabethton has a complete new team with five new starters, so no direct comparison is possible. I left yesterday at halftime of the East game and Grainger had it well in hand. You did not ask, but I will give you my opinion. Take it for what it is worth. Johnson is the best player Grainger has. She bangs the boards, scores inside, and can shoot from the perimeter. The three guards are pretty good, but they are pretty small and I am unsure how quick they are. The other post looks to be developing her offensive game. Depth seems to be an issue. My instinct tells me that if you neutralize Johnson and stay in front of the others a good team can beat Grainger. Grainger got in the soft bracket. I will be interested to see how they do with Boone. If they reach the final and beat a good team from the upper bracket, I might change my opinion.

You may be right. I have only seen Grainger twice. Last year in the Region when they were smoked by Elizabethton and did not look great and yesterday when they beat an average Sullivan East team. Elizabethton has a complete new team with five new starters, so no direct comparison is possible. I left yesterday at halftime of the East game and Grainger had it well in hand. You did not ask, but I will give you my opinion. Take it for what it is worth. Johnson is the best player Grainger has. She bangs the boards, scores inside, and can shoot from the perimeter. The three guards are pretty good, but they are pretty small and I am unsure how quick they are. The other post looks to be developing her offensive game. Depth seems to be an issue. My instinct tells me that if you neutralize Johnson and stay in front of the others a good team can beat Grainger. Grainger got in the soft bracket. I will be interested to see how they do with Boone. If they reach the final and beat a good team from the upper bracket, I might change my opinion.

Your opinion isn't far off about Grainger. A well-coached team with a good defensive scheme and players who will carry out the schemes can beat them. My only complaint with your post is the being "smoked" by Elizabethon last year. Elizabethon should have and did "smoke" teams last year...they were loaded with talent and it always helps when you have the amount of "coaches" they have to work with players in practices to develop their skills. Grainger lost nobody and Elizabethon lost a lot. I have no idea who would win between them this year. I just made a reply to a comment about Unicoi and Elizabethon being in sub-state this year.

Edited by gcfball

Limestone made the sub-state comment. I see Grainger beat host Boone. They very well may make the final. Unicoi and Elizabethton put up good fights today, but Cloudland and Morristown West came out on top. If Grainger beats the winner of that game, I will certainly consider them to be a postseason factor.

I didn't get to the games yesterday, but I was hoping for a Betsy-Lander rematch today. It's unfortunate for the Lady Clones that Coach Wilson's mother is ill and he had to miss the game or they would have likely advanced over MW. No slight intended to MW or the EHS assistant coaches but there's no substitute for head coaching experience at this level (especially in light of the turmoil the kids are already dealing with because of the recent coaching staff carousel).

I didn't get to the games yesterday, but I was hoping for a Betsy-Lander rematch today. It's unfortunate for the Lady Clones that Coach Wilson's mother is ill and he had to miss the game or they would have likely advanced over MW. No slight intended to MW or the EHS assistant coaches but there's no substitute for head coaching experience at this level (especially in light of the turmoil the kids are already dealing with because of the recent coaching staff carousel).

I do have to say, I was very impressed with Brandon Nave's coaching abilities and the heart the Lady Cyclones gave in this game. They are to be commended.

Mama Highlander.....

I do have to say, I was very impressed with Brandon Nave's coaching abilities and the heart the Lady Cyclones gave in this game. They are to be commended.

Mama Highlander.....

Thanks Mama Highlander. Coach Nave did an admirable job on short notice yesterday. The Lady Cyclones are dealing with many challenges right now. Obviously, they are concerned about the health of Coach Wilson's mother. Fate has had them play for 4 different coaches in two weeks. Things are a bit disjointed for them right now as life has taken precedence over basketball, as it should. They keep playing hard which is a credit to their character. Things will settle down and this team will be fine. Prayer for Coach Wilson's mother and patience with the coaches and players is needed now.

Has Elizabethon ever lost a game because the other team was just better? I read so many excuses, I was just wondering.

Has Elizabethon ever lost a game because the other team was just better? I read so many excuses, I was just wondering.

I do not know the cumulative record since the 2001-2002 season, but I am guessing the Lady Cyclones have averaged around 25 wins and 6 or 7 losses a year in that span. Most of their regular season losses over that time frame have been to teams like Greeneville, Morristown West, South Greene, Unicoi County, and Tennessee High. Except for Greeneville, they have probably beaten those teams more than they lost to them or are nearly even. They have sub-state losses to Austin-East, Oliver Springs, and Stone Memorial twice. They have state tournament losses to state champion Chester County, Martin Westview, and Cannon County. Nearly all of those games were close and went down to the last minute or even the final shot. So to honestly answer your question here are the losses to better teams that I can remember (the list is debatable and I am sure I left out a couple):

Hampton- 2002

South Greene- 2002

Unicoi County- 2003

Austin-East- 2003

Oliver Springs(2 Points)- 2004

Greeneville- 2005

Archbishop Carroll- 2005

Chester County- 2005

Stone Memorial- 2007,2008

Morristown West- 2009

Martin Westview- 2009(Buzzer Beater)

Greeneville- 2010