TSWA Volleyball All State Recognition

PHargis

I think that the best way to evaluate the quality of a program is to look at how many players go onto college on a scholarship. Our club has begun making that a point of focus. Last year Karn's great senior class went onto college. Unfortunately, other than Anderson County, we don't have many Knoxville schools push college.

Does anyone know how many former players are currently playing in college?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most ot this is personal opinion by some in the area in which they play. You may be right. The selection is not made until the State Tournament is over. Yes it means something. Yes some great players were recognized. A great player on a mediocre team?????? IMO Sorry recognition on this thread , yes, any more likely not. Sophs, Freshman, got another year. Selections make others think. IMO, selections can always be better.

PH, the problem has to do with great team, vs great player. Ravenwood has a GREAT TEAM. Top to bottom, They have no weaknesses. Karns had that the last 2 years. Sometimes people mistake great teams for great players.

Next year Knoxville will have 5 elite players that are Division 1 ready, 4 seniors and 1 junior. 1 at Karns, 1 at CAK 1 at HV and 2 at Anderson County. CAK will do well in small school with a great player. Karns probably won't make it out of district because they have to play AC and HV. Does that diminsh the Karns player?

Karns and AC offer better instruction than CAK does that diminsh the CAK player?

I don't think so. All 5 of those girls will deserve all-state.

PH, the problem has to do with great team, vs great player. Ravenwood has a GREAT TEAM. Top to bottom, They have no weaknesses. Karns had that the last 2 years. Sometimes people mistake great teams for great players.

Next year Knoxville will have 5 elite players that are Division 1 ready, 4 seniors and 1 junior. 1 at Karns, 1 at CAK 1 at HV and 2 at Anderson County. CAK will do well in small school with a great player. Karns probably won't make it out of district because they have to play AC and HV. Does that diminsh the Karns player?

Karns and AC offer better instruction than CAK does that diminsh the CAK player?

I could be wrong but now I see where the thinkiing came from in the selection that came from Morristown last year that no one seemed to know anything about. Ravenwood had some great individuals. But not top to bottom. If it were so, Ravenwood would have had 7 players on the team. You are making points for Knoxville Players as you should. You missed all of the DI players playing on ETSU. IMO, players that can take their schools to the State deserve recognition. Its a lot early for any recognition. A lot of people are going to have to see a lot of players play this summer and pre season for next year. Instruction???? Not really sure about that. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

K2 17's have FOUR all-state players, Kingsport 17's have ZERO all-state players. In K2's Elite Invitational last weekend, K2 17's went 1-4 finishing 11 out of 12 teams with only win over #12 team while KVC went 4-2 finishing 3 out of 12 with both loses coming to tourney champ NKYVC. Four different schools represented on KVC squad and no more than 3 of them had ever played club on the same team.

Don't understand how a team with 4 GREAT PLAYERS could perform so poorly relative to a team with NO great players. Perhaps K2's setter was in the hospital.

• 3 weeks later...

K2 17's have FOUR all-state players, Kingsport 17's have ZERO all-state players. In K2's Elite Invitational last weekend, K2 17's went 1-4 finishing 11 out of 12 teams with only win over #12 team while KVC went 4-2 finishing 3 out of 12 with both loses coming to tourney champ NKYVC. Four different schools represented on KVC squad and no more than 3 of them had ever played club on the same team.

Don't understand how a team with 4 GREAT PLAYERS could perform so poorly relative to a team with NO great players. Perhaps K2's setter was in the hospital.

This tells you how much High School Volleyball in knoxville really means. Unfortunatley it's not about High School Volleyball to get to the next level. It is all about club volleyball. Someone that plays high school volleyball in Knoxville should not be judged the same as someone playing in middle TN. High School volleyball in Knoxville is very poor. That's why only one team made it out. These girls are playing noone day in and day out. These girls that have been recognized at the state level may never see the court for their club..

Please stop thinking High School Volleyball is where it's at. Just ask the college coaches. They don't want to see a player in Tn play high school volleyball. They want to see them play club ball. ASK THEM!!!

Edited by bigbluevolley

This is a very reasonable debate which I would not even post in except Middle was mentioned and that being so you might just allow me some lines on your vewry good comments. The comment would be along how you might arrive at importance and what makes a good team. IMO and strictly along that line, teams win and players can play like winners but not necessarily win. Coaches develop winning teams in high school but not necessarily winning players. Great players are developed in Club but great Club players are not necessarily put on the same High School team and be able to be world beaters, just the opposite most of the time. The difference is good high school coaches are more concerned about chemistry, strategy, rivalries and Club generally does not play anyone more than once for any of that to make a difference. High School is playing for the school and peers and a banner that can be flown at the end of the gym with a successful season . If the TEAM is lucky, a picture of the TEAM might be placed at an approiate place that can be observed as players come back to the school or siblings or anyone else. All those things so make a difference but maybe have nothing to do with someone playing at another level. The team did it 14 players contributed.

So it depends what you are working for, the school and being part of a team or ones self that really is not as much interest to the team. If a high school coach is lucky enough to have a combination of both during a season a lot of things can happen but it will not happen as K2 has mentioned becasue it take a couple of D1 players along with some very good well rounded, technically sound, unselfish players; Chemistry, chemistry. That is what makes it work. IMO, that is what a university coach is looking for, not just a great player. That great player wont play all around but the role chemistry players have a place at university level. there are instances it might happen in some positions.

College coaches see players whereever they can, a lot on film. A lot were at State. A lot of fans may be like me, know who the great coaches are, what their well drilled players, and make that influence a decision on some great players. Thought that might

Downgrading Knoxville players, IMO is a cop out. After seeing, whatever the reason, all of the coaching turnover going on inbetween seasons, it didn't take long to realize some schools had eliminated some of their chances. East Tennessee, Farragut and South sent the best teams with the best coaches to play in a State Tournament. They competed hard and were supported. Soddy Daisey tried to compete everyone they played off the court. Ravenwood had better tallent and made few mistakes. To their credit Indy and Siegel had less talent and the matches were out coached matches by two outstanding coaches and performances. Houston and Collierville had great players but extinuationg circusmstances caused their defeats, great coaches.

Compare the Schools and Coaches at state with the one you saw and you tell me the difference. I think coaching performance had a lot to do with what happened. To be honest with themselves, I think each will say the same thing. So keep emphasizing Club, don't pay much attention to your coaces and their nbeing interested in developing the chemistry of their teams and the strategy of their teams, and promoting the game. Be interested in indivuality and not TEAM play. Have the players be more interested in the next level than the next match with a great rival and the strategy of winning. You have a lot to do. But some schools are already doing most of it. We saw them at State.

Announcements