Couple of questions about D2 football?

Custer

Howdy,

Couple of questions about D2 football. All are encourages to chime in.

Where do football programs receive their funding? How much is raIsed by boosters, funded by the school, or raised by the students?

What percentage of financial aid is given to athletes/ musicians/ students? Is there any source to find out what students are receiving the scholarships?

Are there any new schools entering D2 AA in the near future? (like JP2)

Any new regulationa for next year?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy,

Where do football programs receive their funding? How much is raIsed by boosters, funded by the school, or raised by the students?

What percentage of financial aid is given to athletes/ musicians/ students? Is there any source to find out what students are receiving the scholarships?

www.tssaa.org and the schools website can give you most of the info. you want.

Howdy,

JP2 is already in D2 AA

Howdy,

Of the individuals on financial aid at a certain school, 100% of those individuals are students. Per your question, is a kid on aid who plays football and also is a National Merit Finalist labeled as an "athlete" or "student" for classification purposes? Or both?

The fact of the matter is that some kids on aid play sports. Some of those are great athletes and not-as-great in the classroom. Some of those are great in the classroom and not-as-great in athletics. And then there are the kids who don't play sports - kids who debate, sing in the chorus, etc. And in some cases, there are the kids who plays sports and do those non-athletic extracurriculars as well.

What's sad is many people on these boards who have issues with financial aid, and I'd say 99+% of those frequent the DI boards far more than the DII boards, only have an issue about financial aid as it relates to athletics, as if superiority in athletics is some sort of measure of manliness or self-worth. How many times have we read the rhetorical question to the effect, "Would my kid get financial aid at a school if he played in the band?" There are many kids at private schools across the state who are on aid who just play in the band, debate, etc., but the average anti-DII person doesn't give a mierda about that fact. Even worse, that same average anti-DII person doesn't care if the non-athletic, National Merit Finalist valedictorian on aid at a private school is keeping the public school for which he/she is zoned from having another shining example on the academic ledger of said public school. Of the million+ posts on this site, if there are 10 in which someone is complaining that his/her public school lost out on a National Merit Finalist because a private school offered/gave aid to the kid, I'd be shocked. I think this is one reason why DII boards have dwindled in posts, as many of us are put off by the athletics-rule-everything mentality that has been witnessed quite often. High school athletics exist because schools exist, not the other way around.

Guidestar.org proivdes tax returns for many private schools, although the church-based schools generally are not as held to the same level of public accountability. You can see general financial information there but not student-specific info, although I do recall seeing a couple of returns 10 or so years ago that had individual grants listed. As it relates to athletics, that information should not be available to anyone but the school and the TSSAA.

In early 2000's when I had the opportunity to serve on a private DIIAA school board, I was able to review some financial aid statistics. 2001 total students 715, partial financial aid (no 100% aid given) 148. Examples... Football team 78 with aid 29. Drama/play students 60 with aid 15. Girls volleyball 17 with aid 6. To receive aid the parents or guardians of the student have to submit a application and tax returns to a clearinghouse not associated with the school. The clearinghouse determines how much aid will be awarded. No teacher, coach or administrator has any say on who gets the aid and how much.

There is not sports booster club at this school. Sports are supported by the general fund of the school. Concessions/ticket money are put into that fund. The financial support donated by parents goes to this general fund.

Each coach for their respective sport will request funds thru AD. Each request is processed and then accepted (fully or partially) or denied.

I don't think the percentages have changed much over the years.

Hey Custer.....Why do you ask?

Edited by shakinthefat

In early 2000's when I had the opportunity to serve on a private DIIAA school board, I was able to review some financial aid statistics. 2001 total students 715, partial financial aid (no 100% aid given) 148. Examples... Football team 78 with aid 29. Drama/play students 60 with aid 15. Girls volleyball 17 with aid 6. To receive aid the parents or guardians of the student have to submit a application and tax returns to a clearinghouse not associated with the school. The clearinghouse determines how much aid will be awarded. No teacher, coach or administrator has any say on who gets the aid and how much.

There is not sports booster club at this school. Sports are supported by the general fund of the school. Concessions/ticket money are put into that fund. The financial support donated by parents goes to this general fund.

Each coach for their respective sport will request funds thru AD. Each request is processed and then accepted (fully or partially) or denied.

I don't think the percentages have changed much over the years.

Hey Custer.....Why do you ask?

Well I'm prImarily interested to compare public and private funding and aid for students. So your guys answers are great.

Sorry for the type-o's. I'm using a device that has some overbearing autocorrect features

Well I'm prImarily interested to compare public and private funding and aid for students. So your guys answers are great.

Sorry for the type-o's. I'm using a device that has some overbearing autocorrect features

Well I can say for a fact, since I am a full pay parent, that I pay for my children and public school kids to go to school. The fact of the matter is that all public school kids are on full financial aid, paid for by tax payers such as myself. Outside of lunch ( not barring reduced lunch) these kids don't have to pay anything. So if a parent wants to pay, full price or not, for their kid to have this education then who cares how much they pay. The truth is that they are still paying a lot more than public school parents.

I think this is one reason why DII boards have dwindled in posts, as many of us are put off by the athletics-rule-everything mentality that has been witnessed quite often. High school athletics exist because schools exist, not the other way around.

This is the part that you will never get through to anyone, particularly some of our dim-witted visitors from East TN...I.e., those who post things like, "well, why don't ya'll just quit 'recruiting' and we could all play together like we used to?" I have tried to explain, against my better judgement, that athletics simply aren't that important to us that one day we'd create a caste system in which only wealthy kids who can pay full tuition are allowed to play sports. If that's the trade-off, then we'll just do the best we can with what the TSSAA dictates to us. It's more important that we get a student body full of the right kids from the right families, regardless of how much money they have, than it is to fill the halls with the wealthiest people out there. The sports teams are a reflection of the student body...that's it. Some are paying the full boat; others are not. Same as any math, science, art, or language class you could randomly sample.

I've also argued a million times that if we did, for some reason, abandon financial aid then you'd hear charges about elitism, "good ol' boy networks", etc., that financial aid mitigates...but again, no one wants to hear that stuff.

As usual, RRR and BR-BB have made excellent points, and have more than adequately described D2 and its issues. Both have also alluded to a certain sub-species of poster (heavy emphasis on "sub") that pops up on any D2 thread. In much the same way that cockroaches are impervious to radiation, these creatures are totally impervious to logic, or even fact. Sadly, like the cockroach, one of their few actual talents is the ability to reproduce. The not-so-blessed event follows approximately nine months after one hears their rather distinctive mating call ("Hey sis...you awake?"). The resemblance to the insect breaks down at this point, as these characters cannot measure up to the cockroach in terms of intellect, cleanliness, and general utility in the overall scheme of the cosmos. Further, when frightened, cockroaches scatter. This pestiferous vermin tends to circle the wagons and attack, usually with an assortment of ad hominems and opinions stated as fact.

I suspect at this point, they may feel provoked, and I anticipate an infestation in the not too distant future.

Oh, and EHSfan04...nice post. you'll probably get flamed too.

Edited by KWoodroof

Not football related, but an interesting article in Sports Illustrated about DII-AA Athletics and the relationship between academics and sports. It focuses on the Cross Country team at McCallie a couple of years ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1169181/index.htm

Edited by oldwiseone