MBA coverup exposed

newsoftheworldus

I think it is time for people to know that the $1500.00 check given to Aaron Simonis was repaid to the school several years ago. It is sad to all who know this family to see how this situation continues to go on and on bringing pain to all those involved including the McGugins. It is time for all of us to move on.

It is a HUGE shame that two more families from Lebanon are going to be suffering now tnat the City Paper and the Tennessean have published their names totally unnecessarily.

So clear this up. Am I missing something here? Why would Mr. Simonis call the TSSAA if MBA paid his son's tuition? Because he was pissed at McGugin gave unfulfilled promises?

In reply to smokestack:

Mr Simonis never called the TSSAA. After the headmaster called and called the Simonis family to come in for a meeting, they revealed to the headmaster their concerns about the coach's treatment of the football boys and in the meeting revealed to him about the check. The headmaster then contacted TSSAA and self reported.

In reply to smokestack:

Mr Simonis never called the TSSAA. After the headmaster called and called the Simonis family to come in for a meeting, they revealed to the headmaster their concerns about the coach's treatment of the football boys and in the meeting revealed to him about the check. The headmaster then contacted TSSAA and self reported.

How is this kid still playing basketball at MBA?

Having just read Jimmy Webb's letter to the alumni, it is apparent that the School and the alumni plan to take the low road by placing all the blame on caring parents and board members who simply wanted to help. ... Would like hear more.

I think if you look at the posts of MBA alums who've been here awhile, you'll see that most of us have been very critcal of the adminstration's mishandling of this issue. I'm a little too honked off to go into much coherent detail here, but suffice it to say that you're badly off-base if you think the alumni have joined the sdministration and board lockstep on this one.

One humorous note...the TSSAA letter indicates that one aspect of the school's defense is that the people in billing and recieving weren't aware of the pertinent rules. Further on, as part of the school's penance, we'll be conducting compliance seminars for other schools. Is it just me, or should we maybe be looking for somebody a little more up to speed?

I think if you look at the posts of MBA alums who've been here awhile, you'll see that most of us have been very critcal of the adminstration's mishandling of this issue. I'm a little too honked off to go into much coherent detail here, but suffice it to say that you're badly off-base if you think the alumni have joined the sdministration and board lockstep on this one.

One humorous note...the TSSAA letter indicates that one aspect of the school's defense is that the people in billing and recieving weren't aware of the pertinent rules. Further on, as part of the school's penance, we'll be conducting compliance seminars for other schools. Is it just me, or should we maybe be looking for somebody a little more up to speed?

KWood:

According to an article in this morning's Tennessean, MBA will conduct three seminars to educat private school officials about measures MBA has taken to ensure future compliance with recruiting and tuition and financial aid rules. So, apparently, during the course of this investigation, the Big Red has taken steps to get up to speed. The article mentions that the terms of the probation include that any further infractions will result in an additional fine of $25,000, a one year playoff ban for the entire athletic program and a second year for the offending sport. So I would guess MBA has/will make changes that ensure they don't trigger those penalties.

The Tennessean article, a two-pager, that contains the first seen quotes from the parents of one of the players involved, was the top,front page news story of the day, blaring full page headline "MBA won't appeal penalties"----the first article anyone looking at the paper in news boxes, stores, at home, etc. will see. I could see that being the lead story on the sports page. But the lead story for the entire paper? From the department that newspaper people refer to as the "toy department". Really? I found that to be a bit much--------but maybe that is the "current trend" and lack of keeping athletics in "proper perspective" that MBA mentioned in its written response. This this is not the first time this story has been on the front page of the daily fish wrap. Is it just me, or does it seem like the folks at the Tennessean are making this the top news story on the front page because of who is involved, not because of the story warrants it. Does the Tennessean have something against you guys?

Article is here:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120114/SPORTS07/301140036/MBA-won-t-appeal-sports-sanctions?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Edited by BuckLateral

That is good news if true about Gioia. Scott O'Neal the AD is an upstart guy. He loves the school and attended there. His problem is that he is absolutely powerless. How many times did you ever see a quote from him about ANY of this ? Never. I am told that he has stood up to Gioia on numerous occasions and informed him that he would not be the fall guy. Well, he may very well be.

This is the way Gioia works. He wants his hand in every single thing that happens in every single department. He micromanages to an extent that everyone at that place cowers and is intimidated. This is not just something that just started happening. Ask faculty members who have left during Gioia's tenure. I guarantee the majority would all say the same thing.

The guy needs to go. MBA will not be able to heal until that happens.

That is good news if true about Gioia. Scott O'Neal the AD is an upstart guy. He loves the school and attended there. His problem is that he is absolutely powerless. How many times did you ever see a quote from him about ANY of this ? Never. I am told that he has stood up to Gioia on numerous occasions and informed him that he would not be the fall guy. Well, he may very well be.

This is the way Gioia works. He wants his hand in every single thing that happens in every single department. He micromanages to an extent that everyone at that place cowers and is intimidated. This is not just something that just started happening. Ask faculty members who have left during Gioia's tenure. I guarantee the majority would all say the same thing.

The guy needs to go. MBA will not be able to heal until that happens.

I've heard the same about O'Neal. Very good post.

There have always been concerns about Goia's management style. At Darlington, he was called Napoleon because he obviously is a frustrated, little man. At MBA, as mentioned, most of the departing faculty say they no longer wanted to work in the toxic enviroment that exists at MBA. If one disagrees with Goia, you will pay in some way as he is threatened when challenged and resorts to excessive passive-aggressive behavior. Students report the same thing. David Pack, Ingle and others would not consider coaching there as long as Goia is there. Here, Goia and McGugin share similar traits. Both are known to exhibit bully behavior and both do not like to have their shortcomings exposed. And there is no way that Paranoia Goia did not know what was happening in that Financial Aid, Finance and Admissions Offices.

I did not imply that MBA alumni are a part of this mess and are not angry. What I am saying is that I have not had one conversation with an alum who has not immediately said (using Jimmy Webb's words) that MBA's actions to pay were "morally appropriate and laudable," but did cross the line. I think this is a copout. Again, Dan is on tape promising things to a recruit's mother that MBA could not do, but he says whatever it takes to get a recruit to come. This was not a charity case here. In other words, the MBA community will convince itself that though their actions broke some rules, they were being compassionate.And no-the checks and money were not from MBA, but from board members?!! As Jimmy Webb says, none of this has to do with the MBA administartion! Spin it Jimmy..Spin it MBA. THat's an important disticntion because if MBA realizes that what has happened here is something that maybe Ricky would do, that's unbearable. Sadly, MBA has polluted high school sports .Two board members told me that there were over 20 instances of money to entering 7th graders., but that they would go unreported because 7th grade is not under TSSAA jurisdiction. This is very deep and systematic.

This is news in NAshville and in the newspaper because NAshville remains "small." Secondly, MBA puts "gentleman, scholar, athlete " on every conceivable surface. It prints all of its accomplishments on the back of fan paddles that are passed out at football games. It can't seem to help itself. Some of us grown men never outgrow it. MBA has also degraded and pointed its finger at every other school with a smugness that I never remember. Now I know why MBA feels the need to convince everyone that they are simply better today, because they are actually trying to convince themselves. Gentleman do not cheat and lie about it. I'm embarrassed and the community is gloating over their demise.