MBA coverup exposed

newsoftheworldus

Interesting take below by another poster on the Nashville City Paper article:

In April, when this issue broke, the fundamental question facing the authorities at MBA was the the general objective of the school's response. Is the goal to limit the damage, or fix something that's broken. Clearly the decision was to limit the damage.

As such, the school confined its admissions to matters that were either already public knowledge, or appeared likely to become public knowledge in the near future. The one person who was indisputably linked to the incident was fired...or not, but somehow was no longer associated with the program. The matter was closed when the TSSAA sent the school a letter indicating satisfaction with these tokens. One would assume such a letter would have the tone of a reprimand, or at least an admonishment of sorts. This one read more like a valentine or a reference.

This particular response rests on the hope that the explanation will be accepted, and there will be no further questions. "Optimism" is not a particularly sound strategy. I'm reminded of a line from the British comedy Blackadder Goes Forth in which the main character's attorney indicates that he plans to "play the mindless optimism card pretty heavily."

And clearly this strategy has failed with gusto, on multiple levels. First, and rather obviously, it hasn't worked because it wasn't true: there were other cases. Second, the TSSAA doesn't seem to buy it. Third, and in my view most importantly, rather than beginning to address the damage to the school's reputation for integrity, it has created an even bigger breach.

The course not chosen would have been more painful in the short run. If I had been the emperor, I would have brought in (at MBA's expense) an outside investigator to conduct a thorough inquiry. There would have been a directive to all staff that failure to cooperate fully with the investigation would result in termination, and any alumni/boosters who chose not to cooperate would no longer be welcome on campus. The results of the investigation would be made available to anyone who wanted to read it, with the names of students redacted. I would also have announced that MBA teams would withdraw from all post-season competition for the next two school years. I would stress that when men of integrity make mistakes, they admit them with genuine contrition and accept the reasonable consequences of their actions.

And then I would have resigned my position as emperor.

Although MBA has handled the investigation 'with class', they have done it submissively and not thorough to the degree of reconciliation from TSSAA.

MBA is just the tip. This is a domino effect.

In the end, there will be one common link.

RICKY BOWER.

Lube up, fellas. There's no denying your way outta this one.

Hey Custer: Sorry to inject just a little fact into your hatefest, but Bowers hasn't been at MBA since about 2003; nine years ago. Thus, your "common link" theory is total hogwash. I got no problem with you hatin', whether driven by jealousy or whatever, but you have no right to publish false information on a public message board. Hope you get over it soon and live a happy life. :flower:

This is not good news for the Big Red! If the article is true then the next question should be what would be a just punishment. My first thought would be the "Death Penalty" but that is not fair to the kids that didn't receive anything and have done nothing wrong. I could see the TSSAA giving MBA two years without any post season play in any sport and four years of no post season play for sports that used student/athletes that were paid. Any coach that was directly involved in paying players should be banned from coaching in the TSSAA for five years. What MBA is being accused of is the same as what SMU and the "Pony Express" was doing in the early 80's with their football program. MBA has shown a total lack of institutional control with how they administer financial aid and a swift and harsh penalty must be handed down by the TSSAA.

I feel sorry for the Big Red faithful as this is probably going to be a bumpy ride.

Edited by cbg

Hey Custer: Sorry to inject just a little fact into your hatefest, but Bowers hasn't been at MBA since about 2003; nine years ago. Thus, your "common link" theory is total hogwash. I got no problem with you hatin', whether driven by jealousy or whatever, but you have no right to publish false information on a public message board. Hope you get over it soon and live a happy life. :flower:

K

This is not good news for the Big Red! If the article is true then the next question should be what would be a just punishment. My first thought would be the "Death Penalty" but that is not fair to the kids that didn't receive anything and have done nothing wrong. I could see the TSSAA giving MBA two years without any post season play in any sport and four years of no post season play for sports that used student/athletes that were paid. Any coach that was directly involved in paying players should be banned from coaching in the TSSAA for five years. What MBA is being accused of is the same as what SMU and the "Pony Express" was doing in the early 80's with their football program. MBA has shown a total lack of institutional control with how they administer financial aid and a swift and harsh penalty must be handed down by the TSSAA.

I feel sorry for the Big Red faithful as this is probably going to be a bumpy ride.

The TSSAA has only issued the death penalty on one occasion (to Nashville Cameron) that I can locate, and that stemmed from crowd actions in a state tournament game in '68. It was litigated, and the court's decision seems to hold that such "group punishments" are not strictly forbidden, but only appropriate in especially egregious cases. I don't know if the TSSAA has the ability to ban individual coaches (and I'm genuinely ignorant on the issue...no idea at all). I doubt the TSSAA would want to fight a protracted legal battle with a school that has MBA's financial resources.

I'm not especially worried about the bumpy ride from the TSSAA. I'm much more concerned about the school's response to this issue. I've seen nothing so far that makes me optimistic.

The TSSAA has only issued the death penalty on one occasion (to Nashville Cameron) that I can locate, and that stemmed from crowd actions in a state tournament game in '68. It was litigated, and the court's decision seems to hold that such "group punishments" are not strictly forbidden, but only appropriate in especially egregious cases. I don't know if the TSSAA has the ability to ban individual coaches (and I'm genuinely ignorant on the issue...no idea at all). I doubt the TSSAA would want to fight a protracted legal battle with a school that has MBA's financial resources.

I'm not especially worried about the bumpy ride from the TSSAA. I'm much more concerned about the school's response to this issue. I've seen nothing so far that makes me optimistic.

Seems like there is a lack of management at MBA. Looks like they should do what they should have done in the first place. Clean House.

I have kept my opinion to myself after being outspoken back in April, but now I have to share some of my thoughts. I agree, KW, I have no optimism for the school's anticipated response. They have been caught, red handed, and it is instituitional, not just a few isolated events. Gioia absolutely must go. When some of the details of this come out, people will be stunned how egregious this all really is. Gioia will try to spin it, but there will be no way to defend the book keeping.

Wins will be vacated, and not just in football, post season will be gone for a season or two, and there maybe be a few other sanctions. MBA needs to bow their heads, keep their mouths clamped shut, other than to say "yes sir, TSSAA, and we sincrely apologize for this serious breach of trust that has brought such shame on our proud and beloved MBA."