Unicoi players quit

Hardwood

What I am seeing now is that all the sports require year round particpation. My son was told if he didnt come to summer practice, he could not play football. Same thing goes for my daughter in basketball.Kind of hard to schedule vacation in the 2 week dead period in July.

My bet is there is more to this from both sides. I bet that simple miscomunication between the players and coach has played a hand in it.

There are other times to take vacations outside of the so-called dead period. My boys have played multiple sports and we never had a problem scheduling our family vacations and holidays. Maybe a little creative working-around, but we always managed to make it work. While it is difficult, it's not impossible to accomplish. I'm pretty certain that coaches are clear about their expectations prior to practices and the start of the season. If you don't want to accept the terms, then don't sign up to play. If you do... then don't complain about the system.

Right. My kid played 3 sports and managed to make some vacations. Some he didn't. I stayed home with him one Fall Break during football season while the rest of the family went to Disney World. They came back in time to not miss the game. He stayed so he wouldn't miss the week of practice and lose his starting spot that week. These things are understood when you are participating in a team sport. It is the ultimate in selfishness to go about your merry way and expect your situation to be the same after a week of practice and a couple of games while your teammates are keeping things going on the homefront in your absence.

• Upvote 1