Unicoi players quit

Hardwood

Again I don' t know all the details, but it doesn't sound like school was missed. This happened over Christmas break. Secondly you are assuming the kids wanted to go. Maybe they were forced to. I see both sides of the argument, but don't think it is as clear as some of you point out. It seems the situation is already decided, so I am moving on. As I mentioned earlier, I know the kids will cherish their time spent with grandparents over some meaningless high basketball game once they are my age.

These kids were not kicked off the team. They quit because they didn't want to fight for their spots if the details we do know are correct. Coach didn't make them turn in their uniforms, they did it because they wanted their cake and to eat it to. School in or school out doesn't matter. Someone put the Disney vacation ahead of the team, period. Coach made a decision based on the well being of the team based on that choice. That's his job as coach. Now they want to quit? They need to grow up.

Look, I have a 37 year old faded old Little League photo in my office with my Dad and my Granddad in it. They were coaches when I was 12 and they're both gone now. They'd both roll over in their graves if I told one of my sons to blow off their team commitment to have a good time at their team's expense and then expect to get their starting spot back. In 30 years I wouldn't remember what month I went to Disney World, but I'd remember leaving my team in the lurch.

These kids were not kicked off the team. They quit because they didn't want to fight for their spots if the details we do know are correct. Coach didn't make them turn in their uniforms, they did it because they wanted their cake and to eat it to. School in or school out doesn't matter. Someone put the Disney vacation ahead of the team, period. Coach made a decision based on the well being of the team based on that choice. That's his job as coach. Now they want to quit? They need to grow up.

Look, I have a 37 year old faded old Little League photo in my office with my Dad and my Granddad in it. They were coaches when I was 12 and they're both gone now. They'd both roll over in their graves if I told one of my sons to blow off their team commitment to have a good time at their team's expense and then expect to get their starting spot back. In 30 years I wouldn't remember what month I went to Disney World, but I'd remember leaving my team in the lurch.

Its called a comittment.I'm with you all the way.

Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck would say that all this is GOOFY talk. :roflolk: They made a decision, Now they'll live with it. Might have been right might not. Only they know. Disney trips, girlfriends, x-box,etc........there are hundreds of things out there now days that weren't when we were in school(besides the girlfriends :mrgreen: ) that kids would rather do than make a commitment to being part of a team. Thats just the way of the world nowadays. Not only has the world changed but kids have changed with it. Each generation feels more entitled than the last. Everything comes too easy now. I can't imagine having a cell phone or the world wide web when I was in highschool.

Edited by Bluengoldblood

Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck would say that all this is GOOFY talk. :roflolk: They made a decision, Now they'll live with it. Might have been right might not. Only they know. Disney trips, girlfriends, x-box,etc........there are hundreds of things out there now days that weren't when we were in school(besides the girlfriends :mrgreen: ) that kids would rather do than make a commitment to being part of a team. Thats just the way of the world nowadays. Not only has the world changed but kids have changed with it. Each generation feels more entitled than the last. Everything comes too easy now. I can't imagine having a cell phone or the world wide web when I was in highschool.

The trouble is kids and their parents want the best of both worlds. I echo ksgovols statement. Thats why you see the 30 year old laying on mama's couch. People complain about there being no jobs. There are jobs, its just that they don't want the ones where they have to sweat a little and manage their income from week to week. Then they complain that the illegals from Mexico are stealing our jobs. They take those jobs because lazy Americans don't work. I guess some of you are wondering how I got off on such a rant but I'm really not off topic. Those kids that quit the team may be the 30 year old laying on mama's couch one day.

Sucks that they left their team mates hanging. But I know coach doesn't want kids like that in the program regardless of how good the are. Truth is other than shooting those 2 didn't offer much anyway and with that kind of selfish attitude better that they moved on. With you though king. Good possibility they end up on mamas couch!

All of you that mentioned God, family, basketball, etc... The vacation with the grandparents to Disney World comes above basketball in the order of how things are supposed to be done. Putting family first = Going to Disney World with your grandparents because you can spend more quality time with them there than you can at home, getting to have your picture taken with Mickey, Goofey, Donald Duck, grandma with her fanny pack on, and grandpa with his khaki shorts and knee high black socks. Riding all of the fun rides, eating cotton candy, and drinking slushies. Going shopping so the grandparents can buy anything you want... now that quality family time.... NOT!!! It is completely rediculous the excuses some of you have made for the kids and their parents and how you have put the coach down! "Family" in the order of God, family, basketball is not "funfilled vacations" that are not necessary. "Family" is missing a game because: your 4 year old is in the hospital, going to FL to visit a grandparent because they are sick and don't have long to live, working a job after school to help feed your single mom and little sister - THAT IS FAMILY! Many parents do not teach life lessons, principles, and build character in kids like was done years ago. Too many times parents try to be their kid's best friend and are scared to say, "No" because they think it may upset their kid. What do you expect the coach to do? He made a decision and stuck with it. I would be ashamed as a player to come back from missed games or practices because I was at Disney World and expect to start.

As just someone whoto loves sports this whole thing very disturbing to me. 2 kids leave a very successful program because they left team to go to Disney missing games and didn't start after came back after being told they wouldn't? ? Team hadn't lost any games while they were gone or since they had come back. Alot of opinions on this but it does seem black and white to me. The blue devil program has been HIGHLY successful for as long as I can remember. Things are done right there. Best of luck to team!

What I am seeing now is that all the sports require year round particpation. My son was told if he didnt come to summer practice, he could not play football. Same thing goes for my daughter in basketball.Kind of hard to schedule vacation in the 2 week dead period in July.

My bet is there is more to this from both sides. I bet that simple miscomunication between the players and coach has played a hand in it.