scottmike

Where do you want the Tratditional State Tournament  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Venue

• CHATT TOWN home of THE C
    • hooterville hog parlorâ?¢
    • Memphis murder capital of the world
    • Clarksville dump

People don't like change, but change is inevitable. There's obviously arguments for and against the Agri Center and UTC.

For agri

1) Free

2) More parking

3) Centralized location

4) Cheaper concessions

5) Inability to clearly see all mats and scoreboards

Am I missing something else?

For UTC

1) Better crowd

2) Better atmosphere

3) More excitement

4) A true "state finals" presentation

5) Exposure for UTC, our states only D1 College Wrestling program and one of the VERY few in the southeastern USa

Am I missing something else?

Now we must factor in the changes that have taken place since it was at UTC

1) New coach at UTC that wrestled in the state tournament in Tennessee. He has very good administrative skills and though I haven't asked, I'd be shocked if he wouldn't want the tournament at UTC

2) A very large parking garage directly across the street from the arena. I don't think this existed the last time the tournament was held at UTC. They have also added various parking nearby. Parking WOULD NOT be an issue

3) Keep in mind ALL proceeds from concessions went to the UTC wrestling team. A good cause.

4) I got the priviledge to attend this years Southern Scuffle at UTC. 22 top D1 College Programs from across the US. 4 top 10 teams. 8 mats. PERFECT VISIBILITY for ALL MATS AND SCOREBOARDS.

5) Coach Eslinger organized a committee to plan this event. The organization and way the tournament was run was exceptional. There is NO reason this couldn't be pulled off for our state tournament.

6) Nothing is free. There is always a price. In this case 1st class for our student atheletes vs. $.

Apparently we can't have both.

Edited by russianbear

I never attended the tournament when held at UTC, but I've heard it was a great experience for the athletes.

That said the opportunity to run a complete double elimination tournament is better for all athletes involved.

As for supporting the only Div 1 program in the state, isn't it time to grow wrestling at other venues, MTSU has a club team which given the support and opportunity could eventually become an NCAA team. I have limited experience with Tennessee wrestling, but it is obvious that the Chattanooga area has a rich tradition of TSSAA wrestling with the titles to show for it, the last champion from outside Chattanooga was Clarksville in 2000. Instead of living in the past, make the most of the new location, suggest improvements if you have any ("If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.").

This is my son's last year of wrestling, but I would like to see wrestling grow in every part of the state so that maybe the state tournament would be more competitive and the eventual team champion not come down to Bradley or Soddy every year.

I never attended the tournament when held at UTC, but I've heard it was a great experience for the athletes.

That said the opportunity to run a complete double elimination tournament is better for all athletes involved.

As for supporting the only Div 1 program in the state, isn't it time to grow wrestling at other venues, MTSU has a club team which given the support and opportunity could eventually become an NCAA team. I have limited experience with Tennessee wrestling, but it is obvious that the Chattanooga area has a rich tradition of TSSAA wrestling with the titles to show for it, the last champion from outside Chattanooga was Clarksville in 2000. Instead of living in the past, make the most of the new location, suggest improvements if you have any ("If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.").

This is my son's last year of wrestling, but I would like to see wrestling grow in every part of the state so that maybe the state tournament would be more competitive and the eventual team champion not come down to Bradley or Soddy every year.

I'd be 100% behind having it at MTSU

Franklin won in 2005 also.

Edited by Wrestler4444

I'd be 100% behind having it at MTSU

So am I. Haven't been since it left Chatt. town, never missed it before hard to believe hotdogs and double elimination are the reason, plenty of places to eat around utc and you could hold the loser's brackett at McCellan (where it used to be held) just walk up the hill, but MTSU has plenty of places to eat and plenty of room and is easy to get to. Don't know if they host rodeo's though.

Edited by anotherback

I don't get on here that much, but I would like to shed some light on this subject. I worked with UTC and was very involved with the State Tournament when it was held in Chattanooga. I also sit on the TACA committee for Wrestling and so I have a little knowledge about why and how this came to be in Franklin.

#1 The reason the tournament is no longer at UTC is due to their "Attitude" and their "Rude" behavior toward everyone involved and participating in the State Tournament.

It was way to hard to deal with the University, the people in charge of the Round House and last but not least the Campus Police.

#2 UTC never acted grateful to have brought students from all over the state onto their campus and as a matter of fact they could have cared less.

#3 Coaches and Fans were not treated with the respect they deserved and that is the bottom line.

#4 Chattanooga itself should have taken more pride in the fact that this wonderful event brought money into the city and should have taken a more active role in the success of

and satisfaction of all involved.

#5 Local people worked themselves very hard to put this event on with no compensation, like Joe Blair and company do now.

#6 Basically what it all boils down to is Chattanooga is a wonderful place to enjoy wrestling, but they "Shot" themselves in the foot........so be it!

I personally like it in Franklin and I do enjoy not being right on top of each other and having room to breathe. It doesn't matter where it is held, people will always find fault and yet they are the very ones that have never even helped in putting something like that together and making it a success. This event only happens ONCE a year and all who are true loyal fans of the sport should come to this event regardless of where it is held.

• Upvote 1

To me, the most important issue is that the two tournaments (duals and traditional) should be in different parts of the state. If they have enough space (haven't measured it), I'd suggest Municipal Auditorium for the traditional (love to see it get big enough for Bridgestone, but doubt it's there yet), and the Roundhouse for the duals (put the D2 "Invitational" in Maclellan).

I think all anyone needs to know on this subject can be summarized and quoted from xwrist....if any of you know who xwrist really is, you would know that he knows what he's talking about :)

As far as having it at MTSU and the prospect of becoming a NCAA-D1 wrestling program, only if they eliminate the football team...good luck with that...proportionality will never allow for the program to return to NCAA, so how about people just support what we have?? We are a non-profit and will gladly take any donations people are willing to put forward to helping the program grow in the Southeast.

To host at the Murphy Center would not be much better than in Chattanooga to be honest...not very much room for mats although the viewing is great and the university is not very helpful when it comes to running events in the best interest of the area...they would charge and arm and a leg down to every last chair needed...