2012 DII A Mr. Basketball Ballot

CoachT

How about considering Skal Labissierre of ECS? The Freshman is only leading Division II-A in Scoring, Rebounding, and Blocks while shooting 81% on Free Throws (MPreps). Sure the team has lost a few games this year to some of the best AAA teams in TN and the #1 team in KY, but the team is beginning to hit its stride at just the right time with Skal leading the way.

This kid is going to be something else. He should definitely be in the discussion and will leave High School with this award at least once if not more. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Don't put too much emphasis on the stats on the web site you mentioned though. Not all teams submit and it skews it a little at a glance. Regardless of what BigENS says, Glover and his "nobody's" around him will grab several of these spots once and if they ever decide to submit.

On another note, no one has mentioned the Moffat kid from Fayette Academy. He's had a really great career and should at least get some recognition. He's a steady player and a good kid from what I've heard.

Rob Marberry. Sophomore 2 year starter for FRA, current leader in this division for East/Middle (23-4 overall, 8-1 in district). Long, lean and strong, a beast under the basket, and not afraid of contact. Rob is currently averaging 13 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks per game - season high 32 points in 1 game. He has a total of 70 blocks this season so far (60 last season as a Freshman). Is capable of highlight worthy dunks if given even just a sliver of daylight. But these numbers don't truly reflect his ability. FRA plays bench when leading by a large margin. Therefore Rob has had more time on the bench this year because the team has had huge leads in most of their games. He is also an unselfish player - dishing to the low post Kessler Bell (who is currently high scorer for FRA) and others. Last summer Rob was a major contributor for the 17U EYBL Tennessee Travelers who compete nationally (will join them again this summer). Rob is a team leader and a great all-around student.

• Upvote 2

Rob Marberry. Sophomore 2 year starter for FRA, current leader in this division for East/Middle (23-4 overall, 8-1 in district). Long, lean and strong, a beast under the basket, and not afraid of contact. Rob is currently averaging 13 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks per game - season high 32 points in 1 game. He has a total of 70 blocks this season so far (60 last season as a Freshman). Is capable of highlight worthy dunks if given even just a sliver of daylight. But these numbers don't truly reflect his ability. FRA plays bench when leading by a large margin. Therefore Rob has had more time on the bench this year because the team has had huge leads in most of their games. He is also an unselfish player - dishing to the low post Kessler Bell (who is currently high scorer for FRA) and others. Last summer Rob was a major contributor for the 17U EYBL Tennessee Travelers who compete nationally (will join them again this summer). Rob is a team leader and a great all-around student.

Boogie makes some good points. I have seen the Marberry kid play this year and he seems head and shoulders above everyone else... no pun intended. I also think that The Glover kid is no doubt a dominate force in late game situations. Have not seen much on the Payne kid from Lausanne. I think it is too late in the season for Hodge to make a run at the award, but his counterpart Ross Welch could possibly make a run. At the end of the day it is going to be a very exciting race to see who comes out on top.

Boogie makes some good points. I have seen the Marberry kid play this year and he seems head and shoulders above everyone else... no pun intended. I also think that The Glover kid is no doubt a dominate force in late game situations. Have not seen much on the Payne kid from Lausanne. I think it is too late in the season for Hodge to make a run at the award, but his counterpart Ross Welch could possibly make a run. At the end of the day it is going to be a very exciting race to see who comes out on top.

I also agree Hooper. Though it seems Glover is a shoe for this award and deserves it, Marberry is a talent that can't be overlooked. Marberry is a beast! If we could put them head to head on the court I'm not so sure Glover would come out on top. Just MHO. But four years of play and a winning record would justify Glover getting the award for sure. Who knows...maybe we'll see 'em go toe to toe soon and let the stats talk. Marberry brings a passion to the court, even as a sophomore, that we love to see. Very coachable from what has been said demonstrating leadership qualities not often seen at such a young age. Someone else said it earlier,,,,Marberry will win this down the road. I couldn't agree more. He Should.

As far as Hodge goes....I don't see it. All the chatter has all but eliminated him. Again, MHO.

Welch? What a standup kid that needs to be talked about. He stepped up when his teammate dropped the ball.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

I also agree Hooper. Though it seems Glover is a shoe for this award and deserves it, Marberry is a talent that can't be overlooked. Marberry is a beast! If we could put them head to head on the court I'm not so sure Glover would come out on top. Just MHO. But four years of play and a winning record would justify Glover getting the award for sure. Who knows...maybe we'll see 'em go toe to toe soon and let the stats talk. Marberry brings a passion to the court, even as a sophomore, that we love to see. Very coachable from what has been said demonstrating leadership qualities not often seen at such a young age. Someone else said it earlier,,,,Marberry will win this down the road. I couldn't agree more. He Should.

As far as Hodge goes....I don't see it. All the chatter has all but eliminated him. Again, MHO.

Welch? What a standup kid that needs to be talked about. He stepped up when his teammate dropped the ball.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

Don't forget the Welch. If his team makes a run he could be a standout candidate but the odds are against it

• Upvote 1

The players in the east region are gonna come down to Marberry from FRA, Nash from USN, & Welch from USN. Marberry is a beast but has been a little inconsistent 30+ one game and 6 the next (not next game just example). I believe the kid will definately win this award, maybe even twice, before he graduates. Just not this year. The problem with the other two is that they play together and with two other players who average double figures. From what I gathered Nash is getting around 17-18 with 4 4 and 3 and Welch is putting up around 15-16 with 4 2 and 4. Both putting up big numbers while playing with 2 other scorers. In the West you have Glover, last years winner, Payne from Lausanne, and Skal from ECS. We all know about Glover he will definately be a finalist. Payne is a smooth guard who can fill it up. Has been known to fire a little to much but the kid can play, averaging around 19. Skal is in MHO alot like Marberry in that he is a great young big man who is putting up some decent numbers but I believe is a year or two away. My guess would be the three finalists as Glover, Nash, and Payne.

The players in the east region are gonna come down to Marberry from FRA, Nash from USN, & Welch from USN. Marberry is a beast but has been a little inconsistent 30+ one game and 6 the next (not next game just example). I believe the kid will definately win this award, maybe even twice, before he graduates. Just not this year. The problem with the other two is that they play together and with two other players who average double figures. From what I gathered Nash is getting around 17-18 with 4 4 and 3 and Welch is putting up around 15-16 with 4 2 and 4. Both putting up big numbers while playing with 2 other scorers. In the West you have Glover, last years winner, Payne from Lausanne, and Skal from ECS. We all know about Glover he will definately be a finalist. Payne is a smooth guard who can fill it up. Has been known to fire a little to much but the kid can play, averaging around 19. Skal is in MHO alot like Marberry in that he is a great young big man who is putting up some decent numbers but I believe is a year or two away. My guess would be the three finalists as Glover, Nash, and Payne.

I hear ya WarEagle on the Skal kid.

I'll differ with you on your picks due to this. An opposing coach will spend more time worrying about Marberry than Nash.

I respect your opinion though.

• Upvote 1

Opposing coaches will be worried about both I would say. On one hand you have a 6'8 kid who can dominate the low block when he wants to and on the other you have a pg who can score at will with great court vision and sense of the game. I would worry about the kid who has the ball in his hands every single time down the floor. Welch is a really good player who should get some but I doubt the hodge kid will see any. From the west I like payne. He should be there. Funny how all these "parents" get on here and only mention one name. Get informed people!

Keeping it real!

Where is gman and coach farmer(9aa fan)

Opposing coaches will be worried about both I would say. On one hand you have a 6'8 kid who can dominate the low block when he wants to and on the other you have a pg who can score at will with great court vision and sense of the game. I would worry about the kid who has the ball in his hands every single time down the floor. Welch is a really good player who should get some but I doubt the hodge kid will see any. From the west I like payne. He should be there. Funny how all these "parents" get on here and only mention one name. Get informed people!

Keeping it real!

Where is gman and coach farmer(9aa fan)

As opposed to how a 17-5 team that lost to FRA by 30+ now has 3 Mr. Basketball candidates? No knock on any of them, Other than Hodge, I have not seen any of them play, which is why I don't comment, cause I don't comment on things I don't know anything about, because doing so will not make anyone think I know what I'm talking about. Get the picture?

As opposed to how a 17-5 team that lost to FRA by 30+ now has 3 Mr. Basketball candidates? No knock on any of them, Other than Hodge, I have not seen any of them play, which is why I don't comment, cause I don't comment on things I don't know anything about, because doing so will not make anyone think I know what I'm talking about. Get the picture?

Good point Asitis. Which brings me to mention the high scorer for FRA (23-4 overall, 8-1 in district), Kessler Bell. Bell's size alone is something any team would envy. You couple that with his consistent scoring, rebounding and amazing defense, and you have an additional consideration from the district leading Panthers from FRA. Kessler earned a spot on the 2011 State Championship All Tournament team. Since then, he has done nothing but get stronger and more skilled on both ends of the court. Kessler should definitely be a consideration for this award.

Good point Asitis. Which brings me to mention the high scorer for FRA (23-4 overall, 8-1 in district), Kessler Bell. Bell's size alone is something any team would envy. You couple that with his consistent scoring, rebounding and amazing defense, and you have an additional consideration from the district leading Panthers from FRA. Kessler earned a spot on the 2011 State Championship All Tournament team. Since then, he has done nothing but get stronger and more skilled on both ends of the court. Kessler should definitely be a consideration for this award.

Humorous note: Not knowing much about the FRA kids, when people were talking about Marberry I was picturing Bell. Saw him in the State tournament last year and remembered him being the one that stood out.

Like I said, I don't know much about the E/M cause I am from the West so I don't comment much about them. Unlike some other displaced people on here.

Bell's a good player. Seems to play much larger than what he's listed.