District 5-AAA

FBFan2001

Last year was quite a surprise to me with McMinn defeating Bradley for the title. Thought all year that it would come down to Bradley/Cleveland game. What are some of yall's thoughts on 2012. I believe that it will come down to Bradley/McMinn again.

My Standings:

1a. McMinn County (Defending Champs)- Returning both O and D lines, and possibly adding another good back in Wells from WV (rumor?). Lose some athletes at WR and also lose senior QB. Can the Cherokees repeat as champs?

1b. Bradley - Lose key players in Stoval, Houston, and Benson. Return Bryce Copeland and Austin Sanders, both highly recruited. Can Coach Floyd and Co. finish with a District title?

3. Ooltewah - Lots of good talent returning for an Owls team the underachieved IMHO. Should give Bradley and McMinn good games.

4. Cleveland - With a new starting QB and new PROVEN Head Coach, Raiders look to start the climb back to the top!

5. Soddy Daisy - Haven't heard much on the Trojans this offseason. Should look to win more games this year.

6. Rhea County - The Eagles will fly a little higher and finish with 3 wins.

7. Walker Valley - Think Glenn Ryan will have the Mustangs in better situations, but if the rumors are true and Wells

has left, then I can't see them winning more than 2 games.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was quite a surprise to me with McMinn defeating Bradley for the title. Thought all year that it would come down to Bradley/Cleveland game. What are some of yall's thoughts on 2012. I believe that it will come down to Bradley/McMinn again.

My Standings:

1a. McMinn County (Defending Champs)- Returning both O and D lines, and possibly adding another good back in Wells from WV (rumor?). Lose some athletes at WR and also lose senior QB. Can the Cherokees repeat as champs?

1b. Bradley - Lose key players in Stoval, Houston, and Benson. Return Bryce Copeland and Austin Sanders, both highly recruited. Can Coach Floyd and Co. finish with a District title?

3. Ooltewah - Lots of good talent returning for an Owls team the underachieved IMHO. Should give Bradley and McMinn good games.

4. Cleveland - With a new starting QB and new PROVEN Head Coach, Raiders look to start the climb back to the top!

5. Soddy Daisy - Haven't heard much on the Trojans this offseason. Should look to win more games this year.

7. Walker Valley - Think Glenn Ryan will have the Mustangs in better situations, but if the rumors are true and Wells

No doubt Bradley under achieved at the end of the season. Should have beat McMinn and Cookeville, but simply did not get the job done.

I have to agree with McMinn being the leader going into next season. Bradley has to replace too much offensive firepower to legitimately be considered higher than second going in. And Ooltewah could very easily be looked at as a solid upper echelon team.

Cleveland has a new coach to be sure, but there is talant to be much better than they were. I would not be surprised to see them making a strong run at the top very quickly.

Soddy Daisy has to figure some things out and Rhea should be much improved. Walker Valley, with the loss of Wells, (I have no confirmed, but it is very likely he has made that move to McMinn) makes it very iffy for the run game to support the beginnings of the passing attack they showed at times.

My Standings:

That's a pretty good assesment. I agree with alt1958 that the District will be wide open to be won by 3, maybe 4 teams.

As far as McMinn, replacing the college-bound QB and wide receivers with quality players developing through the season will be paramount to their success or failure to repeat as District Champions.

That's a pretty good assesment. I agree with alt1958 that the District will be wide open to be won by 3, maybe 4 teams.

As far as McMinn, replacing the college-bound QB and wide receivers with quality players developing through the season will be paramount to their success or failure to repeat as District Champions.

I would agree to much of what has been stated. Bradley will be gutted by the loss of Goldston, Houston, and Stovall. Still some quality players moving up, but that was a unique grouping. We'll see just what Copeland is made of without that supporting cast.

McMinn loses a load of skill players and speed. Not sure what talent fills those gaps, but the QB will be a sophomore, so there has to be a little concern there, too.

Ooltewah never seems to be "down"...and is returning a lot. Never can count them out.

Cleveland will be the wild card here. Much returning in skill positions. Need to re-load on the line. New coach. New system. New attitude. Things have to be better for them moving forward.

Not ready to expect much from Soddy or Rhea...or Walker Valley, although there's nowhere for those programs to go besides "up". Already looking forward to the fall!

Cleveland will challenge Ooltewah for top spot, McMinn might give them a run but they can be unpredictable, Bradley will find it a little harder to score as they lose alot of skill and speed, but thier lines will be alot better, even Walker valley without Wells will be better. I've seen Cleveland next Qb and I think he will make them forget about Voytik, he could be something special great size and a strong arm and he will have alot of speed to help him, new coach new scheme we'll see if it works, also seen some of Walkers younger players, one linebacker is going to be real good and they have a suprise lineman who is going to play a big part this year, big and very quick. But The Owls are loaded and I mean loaded, if they don't win the district this year then somebody got out coached. Rhea county is a mystery, they always have some talent but can't seem to get any consistent play out of thier play makers? Soddy won't be bad but I can't see them beating any of the top 3 (Cleveland , Ooltewah, Mcminn) might get by Bradley but who knows, Thats my guess at best.

Good luck to all!

Edited by anotherback

I think Cleveland's ability to challenge for the district crown will be quite strong. But I have questions about discipline there that the new staff will have to do something about to really be good. Coach Monroe did a great job keeping them under control and doing what they should, but since then that has presented itself as a bit of an issue at times.

Bradley does not have a Houston or a Stovall caliber replacement ready to step into those slots, but the back ups are not bad and will do an acceptable job. Big question will be at running back more than any other position. Bradley really missed a big strong FB last year to complement the speed of Houston and others. Bradley will likely have to be content to drive the ball more and not depend on big break-aways.

Edited by alt1958

I think Cleveland's ability to challenge for the district crown will be quite strong. But I have questions about discipline there that the new staff will have to do something about to really be good. Coach Monroe did a great job keeping them under control and doing what they should, but since then that has presented itself as a bit of an issue at times.

Bradley does not have a Houston or a Stovall caliber replacement ready to step into those slots, but the back ups are not bad and will do an acceptable job. Big question will be at running back more than any other position. Bradley really missed a big strong FB last year to complement the speed of Houston and others. Bradley will likely have to be content to drive the ball more and not depend on big break-aways.

I think Bradley should try a find a big fullback also, and just line up and smash mouth, thier line should be very strong next year on both sides of the ball, Cleveland just hired what could be the best coach in our area. His ability to work inside the politics in Cleve/ Bradley county will decide how good he does. McMinn has all kinds of speed coming back but so does Ooltewah, and I think they will be deeper. Both need a qb to step up. Cleveland. and Bradley should both have that postion covered. Bradley will miss Rue Goldston on the defensive side of the ball, but the rest of thier d should be pretty good if they do tackling drills.

I think Bradley should try a find a big fullback also, and just line up and smash mouth, thier line should be very strong next year on both sides of the ball, Cleveland just hired what could be the best coach in our area. His ability to work inside the politics in Cleve/ Bradley county will decide how good he does. McMinn has all kinds of speed coming back but so does Ooltewah, and I think they will be deeper. Both need a qb to step up. Cleveland. and Bradley should both have that postion covered. Bradley will miss Rue Goldston on the defensive side of the ball, but the rest of thier d should be pretty good if they do tackling drills.

Bradley's defense should be better this upcoming season. Most are returning although Goldston was a playmaker. Experience there will be a help. But tackling is going to have to improve if they are going to be successful.

Copeland may be far more important this season as a playmaker.

I heard an interview with Cleveland's new coach clarifying something he said about Cleveland being a one school community. He said he realized Bradley and Walker Valley were here but they were a different school system. But I don't think he realizes just how intertwined they really can be.

Ooltewah will be a tough team, next year, to handle. they played a great game against the Bears, who simply outscored them.

• 3 months later...

I saw Soddy Saturday morning in a scrimmage. Their QB can really sling it and looked like their best player to me. They didn't have as much size as I expected from a AAA/6A team except for one tackle, and other than one WR, didn't look to have a lot of speed at least compared to the other teams in the largest class.

Cleveland will challenge Ooltewah for top spot, McMinn might give them a run but they can be unpredictable, Bradley will find it a little harder to score as they lose alot of skill and speed, but thier lines will be alot better, even Walker valley without Wells will be better. I've seen Cleveland next Qb and I think he will make them forget about Voytik, he could be something special great size and a strong arm and he will have alot of speed to help him, new coach new scheme we'll see if it works, also seen some of Walkers younger players, one linebacker is going to be real good and they have a suprise lineman who is going to play a big part this year, big and very quick. But The Owls are loaded and I mean loaded, if they don't win the district this year then somebody got out coached. Rhea county is a mystery, they always have some talent but can't seem to get any consistent play out of thier play makers? Soddy won't be bad but I can't see them beating any of the top 3 (Cleveland , Ooltewah, Mcminn) might get by Bradley but who knows, Thats my guess at best.

Good luck to all!

another back were you serious with this post or just kidding? You did say you guessed, have you seen any teams play? recently?

• 4 weeks later...

My Standings:

1. Ooltewah - Lots of talent returning should walk through district.

2. Bradley - QB alone puts them in this spot

3. Soddy - Only lost 5 starters. One was Edwards but experience should make them better.

4. Cleveland - Very little experience at QB but they have the best WR in the district should help makeup for lack of experience at QB.

5. Mcminn - New RB will help but QB is very weak.

6. Rhea - Will be better maybe 2 wins this year.

7. Walker Valley - Will not win a game Ryan is not the answer.