Tri-County Seven

coachh17

Screen, we all remember hanson, webb, storie, and johnson. That team was not as deep as this years team. I dont think they defended as well as this team either. Those are the 2 differences that stick out to me. Offensively, that team was exciting to watch.

King, I'm a little older (grew up in early 90's), I remember a very good Cloudland team that won over 30 games. I can't remember all their players but believe the Campbell and Jarrett girls were their main players. They had another quick little guard and if I remember were pretty deep. They were the best in the area at that time, beat all the county schools (and Elizabethton) by 20+. Seems like they got upset in the sub-state. Think they match up pretty well with the team of today. Of course memory always has a way of playing tricks but know they were pretty good against very good competition. I did watch the Hanson team play and yes they were fun to watch also. Think they defended better in full court as this team defends better in the half court.Depth I don't remember. This years' team has some depth but there is a drop off when they sub. Don't think it shows up against show of the teams because of the score. Would like to debate sometime on how you think the teams of today (all teams) compare with teams of years past.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screen, I turn 35 next month so I remember those teams pretty good too. April dial is the pt. guard you are thinking of. I would say she was the most athletic to run the point up here. Laura jarrett was similar to courtney wilson in their style of play and size. The only thing they didnt have was a brooke rhodes. Having her really maximizes our chances for a gold ball

coachh and sparky are NEVER wrong; just ask them.............JK

As I said before this is the most wide open Region I AA has been in quite a while; I give five, maybe even 7 teams a legitimate chance of winning.......Unicoi and Eliz from D 1 and Grainger, SG and Greeneville from D 2 with West Greene and host CD as darkhorses.......

Oh, I have been wrong many times....just ask my ex-wife or any boss I have ever had....lol!

Screen, I turn 35 next month so I remember those teams pretty good too. April dial is the pt. guard you are thinking of. I would say she was the most athletic to run the point up here. Laura jarrett was similar to courtney wilson in their style of play and size. The only thing they didnt have was a brooke rhodes. Having her really maximizes our chances for a gold ball

I do remember the Campbell girl was player of the year in the conference for two years straight. Don't think she was as big as the Rhodes girl but she could still play. Think you all do have a good chance to win some games in the post season but you must have some luck also. The best team doesn't always win. Good luck to you and it would be nice to add another ball to this area. If I remember Jarret was a little more athletic than Wilson. Memories just pop into my head at different times. Sorry.

Yeah, Brandi cambell was a real player. She was 5'9 I think. Jarrett is taller than wilson but the athletic part can be debated. That was a special team. I liked the girls team I graduated with. Michele hughes, julie shell, and melissa markland. That team was really good in 1994'95. Lost by a few points in sub-state. Thanks for the well wishes. I like to see these kids rewarded for their hard work.

Cloudland destroyed NG last night on their home floor 51-28. Due to Hampton's loss to Unaka, Cloudland can wrap up the regular season title with a win over the Creekers Tuesday night. I think the game will be a challenge for the Landers due to the speed of Colbaugh and Bradshaw. Unaka is very quick and Cloudland will have to defend well all 4 quarters to win. If Cloudland just plays their game, they will win by 20 or more. They were outplayed by Unaka all 4 quarters at Snavely and still won by 18. I think they will have to put their foot on the gas to do it this time. Coach, I guess thats why I had so much respect for the rangers early on. They can play with anybody when their game is on.

Betsy limped out of HV with a win last night. I realize this is a big rivalry and emotions always run high, but a performance like that come tournament time could mean an early end to the season. Betsy was fortunate to win a game I thought the Lady Warriors probably deserved to win. But it's good to be able to win when you play poorly.

Oh, and I read a comment from Coach Wilson in the paper this morning about the team making too many mistakes on offense. While that may be true, I walked away with a different perspective. After watching last night's game, I would be more concerned about the lack of defense than the offense. IMO, defense is the key. Good offense can often be fueled by good defense.

I watched Elizabethton pull out the victory at Happy Valley last night on Reazyn DeMoss's length of the court drive and layup with 1.6 seconds left. I agree that Elizabethton was very fortunate to win this game, but they did. They fought hard in the final two minutes to overcome a couple of Happy Valley leads in a packed and crazy loud gym. Happy Valley and Sullivan East are improving. In my opinion, the post play of Caley Hodge off the Cyclone bench was the key to winning this game. She had 9 points, ten rebounds, was physical on defense, and made numerous hustle plays on loose balls on the floor giving Betsy some key extra possessions. The Happy Valley posts Kaitlin Hodge and Carrie Gouge also had outstanding games. Guard McKenzie Blankenship had a nice first half for the Warriors, but Reazyn DeMoss really slowed her down in the second half. DeMoss also hit five threes and DePew and McCurry hit some outside shots for Elizabethton. Casey Jones made one big three in the first half.

There are two things that concern me for Elizabethton heading in to the tournaments.

1. Their reliance on the outside shot is risky, in my opinion. On good shooting nights, they look great. On bad shooting nights they lose. A balanced approach might prove more effective. I would like to see them start inside and then kick it back out if double teamed. Roberts and Hodge are very physical and athletic and can score or draw fouls on power moves to the basket. Madgett has good height and is effective against less physical posts and as a backside rebounder on putbacks. The pick and roll game is non-existent. The posts set elbow screens for the wings virtually every play, but they do not open to the ball and roll to the goal (screenandroll where are you?). They usually just stand there or actually turn their back to the ball and trail the wing into the lane. DePew, McCurry, and DeMoss would all be effective as shooters or passers on pick and rolls and would get more wide open looks from the perimeter if the defense was forced to sag in on the posts.

2. The lack of a defensive identity (all the turmoil and coaching changes has been a factor). The last several years Elizabethton was known for its lock down half court man to man defense played with sound fundamentals, great intensity, and great effort. They stopped the ball and pressured it, kept their men in front of them, denied passes and made steals in the ball line (resulting in easy layups on the other end), anticipated screens, and helped their teammates by sliding over and taking charges when somebody got beat off the dribble. Teams were lucky to reach 40 points. This year there are spurts of outstanding defense, but also letdowns and breakdowns. Dribble penetration, uncontested layups on drives through the lane, open threes given up to good shooters, trailing cutters, and getting lost on screens are too frequent. They have also experimented with the 2-3 zone, a 2-2-1 press, and a match-up zone having some success with each, but they often lose their assignments in the match-up zone (they just put it in a few weeks ago). If my math is correct, they are giving up an average of 48.2 points per game compared to about 35 a game last year. That is a big difference.

All that being said, the Lady Cyclones have all the pieces required to make a deep run in the postseason. They have height, strength, athleticism, inside scoring, outside shooting, guard quickness, shotblocking, rebounding, and go about 8 deep. They play with heart, especially when coming from behind. They have not peaked yet and still have a high ceiling (7 of the top 8 return next year). I would love to see them pound the ball inside a little more and make a commitment to man to man defense or the matchup zone. Make it simple, execute to perfection, and play hard and you can go a long way. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Edited by coachh17

coachh, you should call your old buddy Wilson and tell him what needs to be done!!! JK. Its hard to learn that match up zone in midseason especially since its so different from what defense Dugger taught.

Dugger pointed out in Novemeber that this team lacked toughness; and other than Hodge, the posts are more finese type posts. Now Unicoi has their own set of troubles. I would not bet for or against either of them even making the regional semis. Both are going to draw a good team from D 2 in the qtrs and even though it may be at home, it will not be an easy win like in years past.