Mt Pleasant Next football coach

wholder

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who you thinking?

Idk.....If you get someone that knows the region teams and just pick up where Coach Smith left off or go out and bring something new to the table and hire someone from out of town. In my honest opinion...I would think that Perry County's coach would be the best fit. I mean, he has already showen that he can coach the spread and have success and he would be going into a good set of players to run the spread, just like this years PC team. Also lets be honest, MtP has a better tradition of high school football than Perry Co. does.

Idk.....If you get someone that knows the region teams and just pick up where Coach Smith left off or go out and bring something new to the table and hire someone from out of town. In my honest opinion...I would think that Perry County's coach would be the best fit. I mean, he has already showen that he can coach the spread and have success and he would be going into a good set of players to run the spread, just like this years PC team. Also lets be honest, MtP has a better tradition of high school football than Perry Co. does.

Mt. Pleasant has the potential to be top dog in the region next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see PC football go the way of the buffalo.

I think the PC coach is actually a double wing guy. the offensive coordinator of the last few years is not coming back from what i hear. a friend of mine at a local university says he is helping them. i am not sure of what His name is... but either one of those two would be a good one for Mt Pleasant.

i think one of the coaches mentioned from waynesboro (keeton, bradley) running the veer with those athletes would be killer. thier version of the spread looked pretty good as well in the championship game. last time i watched a mtp game they loved running the qb in a single wing flavor more than a spread type offense.

good luck mtp

so dont hire someone that may leave after 10 or so years??? :unsure:

anyone of those two would be a great hire for mtp. Bradley was at Haywood, back when they were good. Keeton, if he is looking to get to the highschool level, would also do a good job. i see Rice and Crews sticking around in W,Boro until they retire...in more like 15 to 20.

I doubt they teach for another 15 to 20 years, much less coach. I mean c'mon, that's pretty delusional to hope for. The 40+ year teacher/coaches are getting pretty rare nowadays - the retirement plan is too good. Rice, Crews, Pierce, and Dixon started in the 80s, and they could all start drawing their pensions in about 5 years. In fact, 2016 (Preston's senior year) is about the last season Coach Rice is "guaranteed" to be at WCHS. I wouldn't doubt if he didn't draw his pension, and coach in Alabama after that.

And having an ol' Waynesboro boy jump in 2017 after you hired him 2012 would be pretty embarrassing for a program as proud as Mt. Pleasant.

I doubt they teach for another 15 to 20 years, much less coach. I mean c'mon, that's pretty delusional to hope for. The 40+ year teacher/coaches are getting pretty rare nowadays - the retirement plan is too good. Rice, Crews, Pierce, and Dixon started in the 80s, and they could all start drawing their pensions in about 5 years. In fact, 2016 (Preston's senior year) is about the last season Coach Rice is "guaranteed" to be at WCHS. I wouldn't doubt if he didn't draw his pension, and coach in Alabama after that.

And having an ol' Waynesboro boy jump in 2017 after you hired him 2012 would be pretty embarrassing for a program as proud as Mt. Pleasant.

a lot of assumptions for not wanting to hire the BEST available coach. no coach is going to garantee a life long committment. Smith left after 9 years.

You assume that the WC coaches would want to go back to WC. One of the coaches from WC is there now so why leave if you plan on coming back? the other one has never coached at WC. not many coaches go Down a classification for lower pay and less talent.

i dont see the assistants staying for a long period of time but as for Rice; i think he could stay for a while.

If mtp is looking for a long time coach, they would need to hire someone from Mtp. maybe someone on staff now. The PC coach has only been there for 6 years, would they want to hire someone looking to move on every 6 to 7 years?

using your way of thinking... they may never find a coach if fear of embarassment.

i guess we are also assuming that any of these coaches have even applied for the job. does anyone know for sure, who has?

Edited by big D

a lot of assumptions for not wanting to hire the BEST available coach. no coach is going to garantee a life long committment. Smith left after 9 years.

You assume that the WC coaches would want to go back to WC. One of the coaches from WC is there now so why leave if you plan on coming back? the other one has never coached at WC. not many coaches go Down a classification for lower pay and less talent.

i dont see the assistants staying for a long period of time but as for Rice; i think he could stay for a while.

If mtp is looking for a long time coach, they would need to hire someone from Mtp. maybe someone on staff now. The PC coach has only been there for 6 years, would they want to hire someone looking to move on every 6 to 7 years?

using your way of thinking... they may never find a coach if fear of embarassment.

i guess we are also assuming that any of these coaches have even applied for the job. does anyone know for sure, who has?

I think we broadly agree on things, we're just not connecting somehow.

I think the PC coach is the most likely guy for the job. And I agree with you that Coach Rice will coach for a long time to come (probably a lot longer than his assistants - Dixon is already semi-retired), I'm just not sure the majority of that "long time to come" will be at Waynesboro. A lot of good coaches make the jump across the state line in the later part of their careers because they get two incomes - its a sweet deal. Several Alabama teams have already shown interest in him in the last few years, but he's turned them down because of his sons - that reason will be gone after 2016. We've been lucky to have basically the same staff for a very long time, but our coaches aren't immortal. All four men will be eligible for full retirement in about 2017 - it's coming up quick, we're not talking spring chicks here.

Using my way of thinking, you do NOT hire someone from your rivals unless there are no other viable options. Period. PC hired Rice away from Waynesboro after 2000, and crowed a lot about it. What happened 5 years later? In fact, Rice is the 3rd WC coach to leave and come back since 1950, so it's not like it's never happened before. Mt. Pleasant doesn't have to hire someone from Waynesboro, Collinwood, Loretto, etc. There are a lot of good football coaches who are not from Waynesboro (or Region 6A), and one of them will most likely get the job.

That's all I was originally saying, so I think we sort of agree on what the outcome of the job search will probably be, we're just thinking about it a little differently. The PC coach is the only one that I've heard put an application in, but that's hearsay. From what I've heard, I don't think they're planning on making a quick decision.

Edited by 1RT

I think the PC coach is the most likely guy for the job. And I agree with you that Coach Rice will coach for a long time to come (probably a lot longer than his assistants - Dixon is already semi-retired), I'm just not sure the majority of that "long time to come" will be at Waynesboro. A lot of good coaches make the jump across the state line in the later part of their careers because they get two incomes - its a sweet deal. Several Alabama teams have already shown interest in him in the last few years, but he's turned them down because of his sons - that reason will be gone after 2016. We've been lucky to have basically the same staff for a very long time, but our coaches aren't immortal. All four men will be eligible for full retirement in about 2017 - it's coming up quick, we're not talking spring chicks here.

Using my way of thinking, you do NOT hire someone from your rivals unless there are no other viable options. Period. PC hired Rice away from Waynesboro after 2000, and crowed a lot about it. What happened 5 years later? In fact, Rice is the 3rd WC coach to leave and come back since 1950, so it's not like it's never happened before. Mt. Pleasant doesn't have to hire someone from Waynesboro, Collinwood, Loretto, etc. There are a lot of good football coaches who are not from Waynesboro (or Region 6A), and one of them will most likely get the job.

That's all I was originally saying, so I think we sort of agree on what the outcome of the job search will probably be, we're just thinking about it a little differently. The PC coach is the only one that I've heard put an application in, but that's hearsay. From what I've heard, I don't think they're planning on making a quick decision.

i agree on all your points... the guy they hire may never be mentioned on this thread.

i didnt think of the Alabama factor which very well could happen. Rice would leave in my opinion there. but not hiring a rival would be hard. PC is a big rival of MTP as well.

They posted on TSSAA that the deadline is March 15. new coach will be hard set to have a spring practice.

the teacher position has a lot to do with it. now-a-days you have to TEACH.

a lot of things that are not attractive about the job.

i would like to hear a mtp posters' opinion on the matter...

To my understanding, his sons were the reason they were showing interest.

Just a question, why so many posters from Wayne Co. and why do you have so much interest in the Mt.Pleasant situation? Do you feel threatened by who might arrive at Mt. Pleasant, and that they will be contendors of yours. Just curious???

I can assure you that Wayne County dont feel threatened by anybody. On my part I hope MTP gets a great coach so WC and MTP can keep on having these knock down dragout type games that we all have gotten used to.