Signal Mountain

Indian

I find it odd that the Signal Mtn. loyals have seemed to have such a problem with Coach Lennon and yet Notre Dame and Cleveland loyalist preach a completely different tune. I have heard nothing but great things about Coach Lennon over the years. My family and I have known Coach Lennon for a long time and have never witnessed any unacceptable behavior while he has coached or off the mat. He has always conducted himself in a professional manner while having fun and teaching young men great life lessons and some good wrestling as well.

To hear people from Signal Mtn. complain about a coach cursing and having anger issues only gives me one thing to say, Leave Bill Price out of this!

Wrestling is a sport of passion and emotion. High school wrestling is intense. It's not for every boy that walks the halls of a school. It is a sport that requires these young men to be responsible and own up to the fact that they ARE YOUNG MEN. The boys that can't handle that emotion have band, soccer, and other activities people on this board don't care about. I think Coach Lennon understands this and teaches it. I don't think he yells at his theater students or curses them because there is a fine line on what certain individuals can handle. Wrestlers are a different breed and if someone yelling hurts your feelings maybe it's not the sport for you.

Unfortunately it went way beyond yelling. If it were just yelling and some occasional cursing this thread wouldn't be open and he would still be coaching.

Not sure how many on here read this a couple of weeks ago. But I thought some of you might find it relevant. I know I do.

Shelton resigns

Signal Mountain soccer coach Pam Shelton has resigned from her position after four seasons.

"The school administration failed to properly address and rectify a situation concerning a Signal Mountain High School student-athlete's participation on a varsity sports team and the subsequent harassment of the student-athlete by the coach of the varsity sports team," Shelton said via text message.

"The incident was brought to the attention of the high school administration over a year ago and on multiple occasions."

There are so many things that are disturbing on this particular blog. The biggest one though is that excuses are being made for a student's behavior. It appears the kid cannot follow rules - not just Coach Lennon's rules. Skipping school - I don't care what class or study hall - he is supposed to be in school - not destroying property. But for this behavior, excuses are being made and you are ignoring the fact that he was in the wrong. From my understanding, the student has been suspended more than one time. I think the common thread here is, not what is going on in the Wrestling room, but this high school student being treated as a victim, rather than addressing his behavior. Boys tend to tell their moms stories that are just "a little stretched" from the exact facts and their moms (I am one too) will fight for that kid regardless of the distorted facts. The stories told above just don't add up from an outsider's view. I don't even have to go into Coach Lennon's character - I think that has nothing to do with your problem. DoctorP, you need to get a handle on your son and quit blaming others for his actions. You are in for many disappointments if you don't.

I remember getting hundreds of alarm clocks brought by several students to go off in lockers all over Hixson High in the 70's.... (oh yeah, got us all out early & I still haven't gotten my clock back, its in the principle's office last time I checked)

I did not get detention or iss or oss. All "traditional" principle Tom McCullough (NOW DOC) did was pull out his thick paddle with holes gave me a few licks and that behavior Stopped. IT WORKED!! Coach's names deleted... would make me run stadiums, climb ropes butt on floor to top, no legs, pull UPS etc, and even a few slaps on the back of head OR NECK! KICKS IN THE BUTT!!!! And all was fine.

This world is too complicated and one thing I may notice some today are parents interfering and undermining to the point of weakening a coaches and administrations' ability to make a long lasting impact. It hurts the kid.

Another is when coaches get too chummy like one of the high school kids, and then try to pull rank or authority. Being popular is okay, but you have to balance (respect is key) you earn this in what you say and do, including what you wear, like ear rings. Hixson would have made no big deal out of us guys, "after a polite warning" ...yanking an ear ring out,,, different world today though.

Sure glad we are seeing improvements up our way! Unity in the best interest of the student if central, no matter what the liberal feds say!

Hopefully all goes well for a guy we have all loved and respected for many years,,, one of Tennessee's greatest take down artists of all time!

Edited by Sommers

I remember getting hundreds of alarm clocks brought by several students to go off in lockers all over Hixson High in the 70's.... (oh yeah, got us all out early & I still haven't gotten my clock back, its in the principle's office last time I checked)

I did not get detention or iss or oss. All "traditional" principle Tom McCullough (NOW DOC) did was pull out his thick paddle with holes gave me a few licks and that behavior Stopped. Coach Jeff Parker, David Copeland & Tony Martino would make me run stadiums, climb ropes butt on floor to top, no legs, pull UPS etc, and even a few slaps on the back of head OR NECK! KICKS IN THE BUTT!!!! And all was fine.

This world is too complicated and one thing I may notice some today are parents interfering and undermining to the point of weakening a coaches and administrations' ability to make a long lasting impact. It hurts the kid.

Another is when coaches get too chummy like one of the high school kids, and then try to pull rank or authority. Being popular is okay, but you have to balance (respect is key) you earn this in what you say and do, including what you wear, like ear rings. Hixson would have made no big deal out of us guys, "after a polite warning" ...yanking an ear ring out,,, different world today though.

Sure glad we are seeing improvements up our way! Unity in the best interest of the student if central, no matter what the liberal feds say!

Hopefully all goes well for a guy we have all loved and respected for many years,,, one of Tennessee's greatest take down artists of all time!

WHO DO YOU THINK CARES ABOUT WHAT STUPID STUNTS YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL? THIS IS A WRESTLING BLOG!

Edited by scottmike

There are so many things that are disturbing on this particular blog. The biggest one though is that excuses are being made for a student's behavior. It appears the kid cannot follow rules - not just Coach Lennon's rules. Skipping school - I don't care what class or study hall - he is supposed to be in school - not destroying property. But for this behavior, excuses are being made and you are ignoring the fact that he was in the wrong. From my understanding, the student has been suspended more than one time. I think the common thread here is, not what is going on in the Wrestling room, but this high school student being treated as a victim, rather than addressing his behavior. Boys tend to tell their moms stories that are just "a little stretched" from the exact facts and their moms (I am one too) will fight for that kid regardless of the distorted facts. The stories told above just don't add up from an outsider's view. I don't even have to go into Coach Lennon's character - I think that has nothing to do with your problem. DoctorP, you need to get a handle on your son and quit blaming others for his actions. You are in for many disappointments if you don't.

Seems like you're trying to make excuses for the coach. Clearly there was an issue between the coach and the wrestler. It's also clear the administration didn't think the wrestler did anything bad enough to be kicked off the team. And its very clear that the accusations against the coach have some merit, so much so that another coach quit because she didn't feel it was being handled properly.

No question the student has made some mistakes and he was punished by the school administration. Now you want to blame him. I sure didn't see DoctorP blaming anyone for her son's actions, other than having had enough to get into a shouting match with the coach. Also don't think anyone said he destroyed property. Seems like you are sensationalizing in an effort to justify the unjustifiable actions of the coach.

Oh, did you know this student has a full academic scholarship to Alabama? I would gladly take that dissapointment as a parent:)

• Upvote 1

Seems like you're trying to make excuses for the coach. Clearly there was an issue between the coach and the wrestler. It's also clear the administration didn't think the wrestler did anything bad enough to be kicked off the team. And its very clear that the accusations against the coach have some merit, so much so that another coach quit because she didn't feel it was being handled properly.

No question the student has made some mistakes and he was punished by the school administration. Now you want to blame him. I sure didn't see DoctorP blaming anyone for her son's actions, other than having had enough to get into a shouting match with the coach. Also don't think anyone said he destroyed property. Seems like you are sensationalizing in an effort to justify the unjustifiable actions of the coach.

Oh, did you know this student has a full academic scholarship to Alabama? I would gladly take that dissapointment as a parent:)

Now MountainAir, We all know you are Mrs. Shelton who was the coach who resigned. Please stop referring to yourself in the third person. On another note am I the only one who was raised to believe that if there was a problem with yourself and a coach that you would go deal with that issue face to face with the coach in private and not A. blow up in front of everyone in a gym and B. not have parents up crying to the principal about an exaggerated story from a 14-17 year old. Lastly, Mrs. Shelton is doing donuts in a park not destroying property?

I support John Lennon.

Now MountainAir, We all know you are Mrs. Shelton who was the coach who resigned. Please stop referring to yourself in the third person. On another note am I the only one who was raised to believe that if there was a problem with yourself and a coach that you would go deal with that issue face to face with the coach in private and not A. blow up in front of everyone in a gym and B. not have parents up crying to the principal about an exaggerated story from a 14-17 year old. Lastly, Mrs. Shelton is doing donuts in a park not destroying property?

I support John Lennon.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not Coach Shelton. And no doing donuts in a parking lot isn't destroying property, unless it was in the grass or if he had run over something. I think from your first post it was pretty clear you support John Lennon. I don't know John Lennon and really don't follow wrestling at all. I do know if he pulled a kids shorts down and exposed him and if he put his hands down a kids pants he was in the wrong. Notice I said if. I can say I've been told by multiple people that these things really happened. Normally I would be the first to support a coach but I just can't support these things.

I'm late joining this conversation, but would someone answer this question: if Coach Lennon did these horrible, unlawful things, and so many people apparently saw them happen: why hasn't a warrant been issued for his arrest? If, and until, someone comes forward with some proof, and he is suspended, or fired, or arrested, frankly, this stuff is hard for me to believe. This is against the law folks...IF it happened.

I support John Lennon.

TNwrestling- you seem to be a big supporter of Coach Lennon's. I can understand not wanting to face the truth about someone you like, but isn't that what Coach Paterno did in the case of Sandusky? I don't have a dog in the fight either but I do know that there were numerous kids mistreated by Coach Lennon. They werent just yelled at and pushed to work hard. One kid wasnt even allowed to wrestle last year because Coach Lennon didn't want him to beat the boys who were older than him. That same kid was told that he was not to be doing extra practice during the offseason. Coach Lennon didn't want any of the kids wrestling Freestyle/Greco or doing any extra work to get better. He wanted total control of when they wrestled and what weight they wrestled. He had 4 hour practices on many school days and at least 1 hour of that would be running sprints. He had emotional outbursts that made the kids afraid to talk to him at all. He may have been a great wrestler and a good coach at one time, but obviously he is having some personal issues now.