Tri-County Seven

coachh17

We have reached the last full week of the regular season and a few teams have a game or two left next week. The tournaments are near. With Unaka's win over Hampton, Johnson County's win over Happy Valley, Elizabethton's two wins over Unicoi County, and Happy Valley's near win over Elizabethton we have a muddled mess. Cloudland is alone at the top. It apears that nearly any of our seven could beat any other on a given night. I still think Unicoi County may beat Cloudland, so we arguably have the most parity in the the seven this year than we have ever seen. Here is what I have:

1. Cloudland A (22-3)- Losses are to undefeated Science Hill, a very good Wise, Virginia team, and a solid Morristown West. Three interesting games are left for the Lady Landers. They host Unaka Tuesday, travel to Hampton Friday, and go to Unicoi County next Tuesday. If they get through that, they will have earned their #1 spot with flying colors. Can smell Murfreesboro now.

2. Elizabethton AA (18-8)- Squeaked by a fired up Happy Valley 60-59 on a last second shot. Possible Region preview at South Greene on Monday. The Lady Cyclones finish a tumultuous season with Senior Night against North this Friday. Highly unpredictable heading in to the tournaments, but nobody will want to draw them.

3. Unicoi County AA (20-6)- The Lady Devils are wrapping up a solid season and will be the regular season District 1 champs. A real threat to win the Regional title and have hopes of a sub-state game or beyond.

4. Unaka A (13-13)- Gave us a glimpse of their future with a huge 62-60 win over Hampton this week to grab this spot. Unfortunately, their youth immediately showed as they lost to University High the next game. Interesting game at Cloudland Tuesday. Will be a dangerous draw in the tournaments.

5. Hampton A (16-9)- Had a tough week losing to Elizabethton and Unaka. The Lady Dogs are at North Greene Tuesday, host Cloudland Friday, and travel to Chuckey-Doak next Monday. They could finish the season on a five game losing streak, but I still think they can make a deep run in the postseason.

6. Johnson County AA (9-15)- Won three straight over North, Cedar View Christian, and Tri-Cities Christian before East beat them and ended the streak. They are greatly improved and can longer be penciled in as an automatic win. Tough finish with Unicoi, Unaka, and Cloudland.

7. Happy Valley AA (9-15)- The Lady Warriors are on the bottom, but had #2 Elizabethton beat Friday before losing at the buzzer. They have lost 5 straight, but are no easy out in the tournaments. Should make the Region and are capable of a first round upset.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! So coach what you're saying is a 13-13 unaka is better than Hampton who has 3 losses to your precious lady cyclones and 2 losses to unicoi, beat them once, both are AA a loss to #4 in the state single A Cloudland, down 1 at the half played them better than anyone expected even beat AA chucked-doak by 15 or so. Lady Dogs were without their head coach on a hostile floor and the dogs had just thumped them by 20+, don't get me wrong they should've won but one game coach?? Miami beat #5 duke today does that make Miami #4 team in the country? I remember when elizabethton lost 2 in a row to east and a losing record team south Greene and didn't drop? And don't see Hampton ending on a 5 game losing streak just my opinions.

Breathe man, breathe....lol! Remember, I am holding true to my head-to-head criteria. When I used to rank them where I really thought they were people went nuts over a head to head win like Unaka just got if I had left Hampton ahead of them. I cannot win either way. Taking out head to head, here is what I really think right now:

1. Cloudland- No doubt, unless Unicoi Co. beats them. Best chance to go the farthest.

2. Unicoi County- No bad losses. Need to do something now, they lose 3 key players.

2. Elizabethton- We will hopefully break this tie in the District final.

4. Hampton- I do believe they are better than Unaka and can still have a great postseason.

5. Unaka- They are improving and will be very good next year. Dangerous now.

6. Happy Valley- Have had a tough season, but are usually competitive.

7. Johnson County- Have had a great season and the future looks much brighter.

Hey Coachh, why not publish 7 sets of rankings each week, i.e. one from the perspective of each school represented? That way everyone would have an opportunity to be at the top of the heap and possibly you would get less criticism...LOL. Or better still, why don't you just establish your own BCS-like criteria for rating the Tri-County Seven? You could set up a weekly fan poll and use the results to emulate the Harris poll. Of course, you would provide the Coach's poll input. The computer rankings would be a little more difficult, but I'm sure you could compile all the necessary data into an Excel spreadsheet to generate a relevant result, i.e. win/loss, opponent's win/loss, quality wins, bad losses, points scored/allowed, etc. This likely wouldn't take more than 6-8 hours a week to accomplish so what do you say?

Edited by etownsparky

Hey Coachh, why not publish 7 sets of rankings each week, i.e. one from the perspective of each school represented? That way everyone would have an opportunity to be at the top of the heap and possibly you would get less criticism...LOL. Or better still, why don't you just establish your own BCS-like criteria for rating the Tri-County Seven? You could set up a weekly fan poll and use the results to emulate the Harris poll. Of course, you would provide the Coach's poll input. The computer rankings would be a little more difficult, but I'm sure you could compile all the necessary data into an Excel spreadsheet to generate a relevant result, i.e. win/loss, opponent's win/loss, quality wins, bad losses, points scored/allowed, etc. This likely wouldn't take more than 6-8 hours a week to accomplish so what do you say?

LOL! It could probably be done, but about an hour is what I give it each Sunday afternoon plus all the games I go see.