Is CPA In Trouble?

howdoitknow

What Do You Think?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If CPA played a student-athlete who was declared ineligible by the TSSAA should they have to vacate their wins over the course of the season as a result?

It is a nice idea, nice litte theory, but not one necessarily supported by the facts. It is one that gets circulated around quite a bit and one high school parents like to perpetuate as too many take the responsibility off how good their child actually is and place the responsibility on the high school coach. They end up thinking it is up to the HS coach to market the child's ability and put the pressure on the coach. (e.g. If my child is not getting recruited by college coaches, must be the coach's fault.) Speaking as someone who coached in college, both small and D1, it does not make much of a difference, particularly in this day and age. It doesn't really matter where great players play, college coaches are interested in great players regardless of who they play for and college coaches have a way of finding them. Quite an extensive list of great players and it didn't matter who they played for in HS. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a great player who was passed over because of their HS coach or they didn't play for the right coach. Loved to hear about those players to the contrary where it was all about the coach they played for in HS.

Coach I disagree with you. If my son was a good player and wants to play at a collegiate level, I am sending him to a school like CPA for the exposure. So far at CPA games this year, they have had Coach Pitino, Calipari, Stallings, Byrd, Virginia Coach Bennett, Coach Martin to name a few. I would assume most of these coaches come to see Jalen Lindsey, however, they get exposed to all of the other kids playing which may open doors that would not have been availabe to them playing at a school, let's say, Greenbrier. Playing at a school with high level talent and in showcase tournaments such as the Bluebrass and Arby's clearly is good for the kids. Also, just an FYI to all of the people who believe Coach Maddux recruits, let me share that Allsmiller, Lindsey, Howell, Blackwell and Richard all played on the same AAU team together since they were 12 years old and they have always want to play HS together. Coach Maddux had no input on that. Lastly with regards to the MBA 8th grader playing at CPA, during his 8th grade year at MBA his mom become very ill resulting in the 8th grader having difficulty handling the situation. This led to him ultimately pulling out of MBA and receiving a "hardship" year. That is why TSSAA allowed him to play in those 6 games at CPA. Then when someone complained they reversed their ruling, which really shows what they are about. They don't concern themselves with the wellness of the kids.

It is a nice idea, nice litte theory, but not one necessarily supported by the facts. It is one that gets circulated around quite a bit and one high school parents like to perpetuate as too many take the responsibility off how good their child actually is and place the responsibility on the high school coach. They end up thinking it is up to the HS coach to market the child's ability and put the pressure on the coach. (e.g. If my child is not getting recruited by college coaches, must be the coach's fault.) Speaking as someone who coached in college, both small and D1, it does not make much of a difference, particularly in this day and age. It doesn't really matter where great players play, college coaches are interested in great players regardless of who they play for and college coaches have a way of finding them. Quite an extensive list of great players and it didn't matter who they played for in HS. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a great player who was passed over because of their HS coach or they didn't play for the right coach. Loved to hear about those players to the contrary where it was all about the coach they played for in HS.

I guess that explains the ally-opp /dunks and backcourt pressing when CPA is up on a team by more than 20 points. I mean after all, you've got to make sure you impress the college coach in the stands.

(Sorry, this was meant to be in response to jett, not kbrks.)

Edited by sportsnutdad

Coach I disagree with you. If my son was a good player and wants to play at a collegiate level, I am sending him to a school like CPA for the exposure. So far at CPA games this year, they have had Coach Pitino, Calipari, Stallings, Byrd, Virginia Coach Bennett, Coach Martin to name a few. I would assume most of these coaches come to see Jalen Lindsey, however, they get exposed to all of the other kids playing which may open doors that would not have been availabe to them playing at a school, let's say, Greenbrier. Playing at a school with high level talent and in showcase tournaments such as the Bluebrass and Arby's clearly is good for the kids. Also, just an FYI to all of the people who believe Coach Maddux recruits, let me share that Allsmiller, Lindsey, Howell, Blackwell and Richard all played on the same AAU team together since they were 12 years old and they have always want to play HS together. Coach Maddux had no input on that. Lastly with regards to the MBA 8th grader playing at CPA, during his 8th grade year at MBA his mom become very ill resulting in the 8th grader having difficulty handling the situation. This led to him ultimately pulling out of MBA and receiving a "hardship" year. That is why TSSAA allowed him to play in those 6 games at CPA. Then when someone complained they reversed their ruling, which really shows what they are about. They don't concern themselves with the wellness of the kids.

This post is so factually wrong. It proves that you should probably refrain from commenting about this situation. The only true statement in this entire post is the part about getting exposure. Everything else is wrong. Rick Byrd and other coaches went to Greenbrier to see Bradshaw. Allsmiller, Lindsey, Howell, Blackwell and Richard have never played all together on the same AAU team and certainly not in the past two years. Nor will they this year. Coach Maddux doesn't recruit? Sure, ok. Blackwell's situation at MBA, you're way off. He was leaving anyway when other issues surfaced. Maybe you should talk to someone at MBA.

Edited by lbell615

Well like I said before, that's what your AAU team is for. What does it show a college coach or scout to see a "stacked" HS team trounce another HS team of inferior talent? It's true in basketball and travel baseball. These teams usually represent consistently better talent. Therefore, a coach or scout is seeing you and others with talent competing against better talent.

AAU is the way to go to be seen. Not every college has the resources to visit the various high schools to see kids play. An AAU tournament provides lots of looks at lots of kids...one-stop shopping. Parents should take an active role in promoting their child; don't leave it to your high school coach. The coach can help, but parents should take the lead role.

Coach I disagree with you. If my son was a good player and wants to play at a collegiate level, I am sending him to a school like CPA for the exposure. So far at CPA games this year, they have had Coach Pitino, Calipari, Stallings, Byrd, Virginia Coach Bennett, Coach Martin to name a few. I would assume most of these coaches come to see Jalen Lindsey, however, they get exposed to all of the other kids playing which may open doors that would not have been availabe to them playing at a school, let's say, Greenbrier...Lastly with regards to the MBA 8th grader playing at CPA, during his 8th grade year at MBA his mom become very ill resulting in the 8th grader having difficulty handling the situation. This led to him ultimately pulling out of MBA and receiving a "hardship" year. That is why TSSAA allowed him to play in those 6 games at CPA...

I hear what you are saying and understand why there are those who think along these lines, but what is also being described are coaches recruiting tools (exposure, holiday tourneys). Actually as you said, it is about the players on the floor college coaches are there to see, not the coach on the sideline. If JL was still in Murfreesboro or Greenbrier or anywhere, they’d go there and it would have nothing to do with who was his HS coach. And the players on his team would receive the benefit. Parents nowadays also need to know the plan for their child, what type of role will be for him or her. Rarely are they going to change schools or make a switch based solely on the coach, without knowing up front what is going on. In current basketball culture with all the access to AAU, private lessons, camps, clinics, weekend activities, etc., there are too many settings where enough care and caution are not exercised.

In relation to pursuing hardship for an athlete, that does provides a legitimate, possible answer, but IMO can’t see how a case involving a repeating 8th grader to allow him to play HS basketball would satisfy all 4 elements required in section 24 of TSSAA by-laws for special cases involving hardship. And If TSSAA applied a hardship waiver, what would it matter how many calls they received?

AAU is the way to go to be seen. Not every college has the resources to visit the various high schools to see kids play. An AAU tournament provides lots of looks at lots of kids...one-stop shopping. Parents should take an active role in promoting their child; don't leave it to your high school coach. The coach can help, but parents should take the lead role.

Sure, as long as they have college ability, especially D1 ability since many small colleges do not have the budgets to visit very many AAU tourneys. Too many parents waste time and money if exposure and college scholarship are primary motives. AAU increases the odds, but do not have to play AAU to get to college. You sound like you have experience - that you have child(ren) playing college basketball who played AAU ball.

This post is so factually wrong. It proves that you should probably refrain from commenting about this situation. The only true statement in this entire post is the part about getting exposure. Everything else is wrong. Rick Byrd and other coaches went to Greenbrier to see Bradshaw. Allsmiller, Lindsey, Howell, Blackwell and Richard have never played all together on the same AAU team and certainly not in the past two years. Nor will they this year. Coach Maddux doesn't recruit? Sure, ok. Blackwell's situation at MBA, you're way off. He was leaving anyway when other issues surfaced. Maybe you should talk to someone at MBA.

Sorry ibell -all of these facts are accurate

Sure, as long as they have college ability, especially D1 ability since many small colleges do not have the budgets to visit very many AAU tourneys. Too many parents waste time and money if exposure and college scholarship are primary motives. AAU increases the odds, but do not have to play AAU to get to college. You sound like you have experience - that you have child(ren) playing college basketball who played AAU ball.

Agreed. There are a couple of large AAU tourneys that a small college could go to to see a lot of kids; they don't have to go to a lot of tourneys. I don't see it as a waste of money if the kid loves to play. It's no different than traveling around for dance, cheerleading, or those annoying beauty pageant competitions. It is family time. However, motive should be considered.

Sorry ibell -all of these facts are accurate

Ok. You just keep blindly following that Lee Atwater style of fire and brimstone. Blatant propaganda. I always wondered what kind of people made Jim Jones famous. Ipecac, depending on the amount of koolaid ingested, may save some if application is prompt. Truckloads are needed on OHB asap. Then ship the them to DII where they belong.

Edited by lbell615

i do not claim to be an expert, but i have bene around TN high school sports long enough to know what goes on in some cases. it is no secret CPA, and every other private school, do things to get around the recruitment rule. one player's family makes a monetary gift to another player's family which that family in turn uses to pay tuition (see Mason at CPA a few years ago). if was a gift, the school was not involved so to say, and a family can use a gift for anything, including tuition so it is ok as long as the coach or school did not give the money to to the player. it happens other places as well, just not CPA.

it is also no secret parents are offered employment so their child can attend for free or at a discount and they just happen to be a superstar athlete. no way to say legally that no you cannot hire a parent at a school just because their kid plays sports. the best example of this although it is not a private school is Shelbyville in their hay day with Insell as coach. Miraclouslly his best AAU players always seemed to end up moving to an apartment complex he owned in Shelbyville, get a job for a business his son ran, and it was mere circumstance this happened. Insell got smart and moved on to the level where he can recruit legally and it shows with the talent he gets at MTSU because of his years of practice at Shelbyville.

this is not a problem limited to private schools, it happens everywhere. even in Williamson County. A kid will purposely pick a program of studies that is not offered at their zoned school, so they get to attend the school that has their program. Why do you think Franklin High is the only one in that county that offers culinary arts, the IB program, automotive classes?

fact of the matter is these things happen whether the school is public or private. until the TSSAA decides to enforce the rules in every case and enforce them equally, schools and coaches will continue to make efforts to get around the rules.

TRUE TRUE TRUE Very well written and very accurate all the way down to let us employ the parent to get their athletic kid.