DIVISION II Traditional Tourney

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Will the Brothers from Memphis be able to proverbially double dip and go 2 for 2 this year. I don't think so, though Christian Brothers is by far the best dual team this year in the state I think they will barely be able to edge out EBE for third.

Team Places: 1. Father Ryan 7 finalists

2. Baylor 6 finalists

3. CBHS 6 finalist

4. EBE 4 finalists

5. MBA 2 finalists

Finals Match ups: 106: CBHS v Ryan

113: McCallie v Ryan

120: McCallie v CBHS

126: Baylor v. CBHS

132: Baylor v. CBHS

138: McCallie v Ryan

145: Baylor v. CBHS

152: Baylor v. MBA

160: CBHS v. Ryan

170: Baylor v. Ryan

182: Baylor v. Ryan

195: SBA v. Ryan

220: BA v. MBA

HWT: McCallie v. CBHS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. FR will be tougher due to moving Marchetti down, Mosely and Hooker up to secure five champs:

103: Oliver over Echart

112: Elsea over Santi

120: Connell over Gray

126: Watson over Robinson

132: Westbrooks over Johnson

138: Marchetti over Popp

145: Baker over Clemoents

152: Bellett over Cate

160: Mosely over Isom

170: Hooker over Craig

182: Holmes over Bodine

195: Fisher over Lamer

220: Mason over Armstrong

Hwt: Youngblood over Thomas

Will the Brothers from Memphis be able to proverbially double dip and go 2 for 2 this year. I don't think so, though Christian Brothers is by far the best dual team this year in the state I think they will barely be able to edge out EBE for third.

yeah, they haven't done anything this year in the individual tournaments either. After all they only placed 6th at KCI, and 2nd in IL. yeah, they don't have a chance.

MY GOODNESS, what's it take to give them a little credit? They totally dominated the finals with bonus point after bonus point. I'm sure they will have quite a few more of those coming up in two weeks

I believe the top-3 spots will be decided in the finals in D-II with this being the outcome:

1. Christian Brothers 225.0

2. Baylor 215.0

3. Father Ryan 210.0

----

4. McCallie

5. MBA

6. SBA

7. Brentwood Academy

That is eerily close to an analysis I did based on current rankings / expected seedings and the advancement and placement points (no bonus included). This is likely to be one of the closer individual tournament races in DII in a while, especially given that it is likely to be a three team race.

If some of the teams make the expected line-up shifts it will be very interesting.

In Hoc's analysis is probably a little short-sighted given the dynamics of the DII traditional tournament. This is not a deep tournament where pushing a bulk of kids into the finals will determine who wins the event. Due to the fact that this is a very average tournament from a depth perspective (versus deep and ultra-deep events out there) the team that will win it needs to be able to put a bulk of wrestlers into the finals and get the remainder of their wrestlers into the top 4 places. This tournament is typically going to be won by a team with a handful of studs and a complete, balanced team.

This team will likely be decided by about three or four factors:

1) The number of byes any of the three favored teams receive in the first round

- this can have a large affect on the potential bonus points earned. If the byes are fairly balanced then this isn't an issue

2) Ability to score bonus points through the semi-finals

3/4) Any wrestler from these teams who over-performs by 1-2 places from seed or under-performs by the same margin.

- With such a narrow gap in points based on seeds / rankings, one kid could clinch it for any team.

Edited by ghouse

MY GOODNESS, what's it take to give them a little credit? They totally dominated the finals with bonus point after bonus point. I'm sure they will have quite a few more of those coming up in two weeks

CB certainly deserves, and has recieved, credit for their duals championship. However, in trying to handicap the traditional, its important to remember that they were not totally dominant on their way to the win. In fact, in the semis, had the asistant referee's position been upheld in the conference over the disputed takedown in the 195 pound match, Father Ryan would have wrestled another team in the finals.

This year the traditional tournament is going to be a war with the ability of lower seeded wrestlers beating their seeds and, as you say, bonus points making the difference. It will be a great weekend.

Edited by mtnrasslin

CB certainly deserves, and has recieved, credit for their duals championship. However, in trying to handicap the traditional, its important to remember that they were not totally dominant on their way to the win. In fact,in the semis,had the asistant referee's position in the conference over the disputed takedown in the 195 pound match gone the other way, Father Ryan would have wrestled another team in the finals.

This year the traditional tournament is going to be a war with the ability of lower seeded wrestlers beating their seeds and, as you say, bonus points making the difference. It will be a great weekend.

Very good observation + an extra point or two scored by the wrestler would have changed history for the Duals. The referee as many in the sport of wrestling, basketball, football, etc. Should not be allowed to play a major role in the outcome of either team's final tally. Congrats to the strongest individual tournament team pulling this one out! CBHS is prepared, again,,, 6th at KCI, and 2nd in IL!!!!

CB certainly deserves, and has recieved, credit for their duals championship. However, in trying to handicap the traditional, its important to remember that they were not totally dominant on their way to the win. In fact,in the semis,had the asistant referee's position in the conference over the disputed takedown in the 195 pound match gone the other way, Father Ryan would have wrestled another team in the finals.

So you are saying that CB won because of a ref?

So you are saying that CB won because of a ref?

While I was pulling for an all purple championship I have to agree. I was actually waiting for the Baylor fans to blow up this site with complaints after the last match in their dual with Cbhs. They have much more self control than I would have had in their shoes. The last match that was to decide the duals was one of the worst officiated matches I have ever seen. There was a horrible take down or reversal call earlier in the match that went in favor of Cbhs. The non takedown call towards the end of the match that would have sealed the tech fall and a Baylor win was one of the worst I have ever seen. It wasnt even debatable. I was watching all the other referee's reactions that were around the mat and they were astonished to say the least. I actually spoke to some of the refs afterwards and they were very adamament that Baylor should have won. In fact I think there were some discussions with the ref who officiated the match. The refs watching the match told me that the takedown should have been a moot point as they would have already disqualified the Cbhs wrestler for stalling at that point. That being said, Cbhs won the matches they needed to win, got the bonus points at 106,120,145 from their studs. Won at 132 where Im sure Baylor was expecting a win and kept it to a 1 pt decision at 152 where Baylor was probably hoping for Bonus points. You cant discredit what Cbhs kids accomplished but that last match was a travesty.