A TEAMTN AAU Wrestling Tournament

Hosted by Region II

Hardin Valley High School

11345 Hardin Valley Rd.

Knoxville, 37932

Event Schedule is as follows:

All times are Eastern Time

Friday: 7-8:30 at Hardin Valley High School

Saturday: Weigh-ins: All wrestlers must show AAU card at weigh in time.

AM Session Tots and Midget: 7:00 – 8:00 AM Wrestle at 9:00AM

Bantam and Juniors/Novice: 11:00 – 12:00 Wrestle at 1:00PM

MS/Schoolboy: 3:00 – 4:00 Wrestle at 5:00PM

Tournament Information for Kids of the following ages:

Tot 2006/2007

Bantam 2004/2005

Midget 2002/2003

Junior/Novice 2000/2001

Middle School/Schoolboy1998/1999 *no 9th graders

Middle School: 70,75,80,85,90,95,100,105,110,115,120,125,130,140,150,160,180,HWT

Junior: 60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100,105,112,120,130,140, HWT

Midget: 50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,103,112,120,130,HWT

Bantam: 40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,90, HWT

Tot: 35,40,45,50,55,HWT

*Weigh-ins will be done in singlets with a one-pound allowance only.

Register online @ unapproved website

Include: Name, Ranking (1-5), DOB, Weight class, AAU Membership #

Medals: 1st through 4th place finishers in each division.

Registration Cost: $10.00 plus current AAU membership card is required.

IF A WRESTLER DOES NOT MAKE WEIGHT, HE DOES NOT GET TO WRESTLE. THERE WILL BE NO BUMPING ALLOWED.

Admission: $ 6.00 Adults and $ 3.00 Students

Coaches Entry: Current AAU membership card & Picture ID required to be on the floor coaching an athlete. NO EXCEPTIONS!

*Note-Please email your complete coaches list to sesayne@yahoo.com by Midnight on Thursday Feb. 23, 2012. This is very important, only the

coaches on this list will be allowed to receive a coaches pass.

1 coach per 5 wrestlers not to exceed 8 coaches

This event is sanctioned by the Amateur Athletic Union of the U. S., Inc.

All participants must have a current AAU membership.

AAU membership may not be included as part of the entry fee to the event.

AAU membership must be obtained before the competition begins except where the event operator has a laptop available with an internet connection.

Participants are encouraged to visit the AAU web site www.aausports.org to obtain their membership.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONTACT:

Tournament Director: Shannon Sayne 865-659-1538 sesayne@yahoo.com

Assistant Director: Duane Nielsen 865-919-5936 Duane.Nielsen@shawgrp.com

we are expecting a large turnout.. get your entry in early. See you in knoxville soon.

Something to consider coach :

I would re think the stance on " if you miss weight , you don't wrestle ". At this age the idea is to get the kids and just as important their parents exposed to the sport. Sending someone home because they missed weight, when in all likelyhood most only have access to a cheap bathroom scale is counter productive. With something like 18 weightclasses you are almost guaranteed to either have a class with nobody or one or two entrants so the logical solution is to combine a couple of classes so you have a decent number in the bracket. I have been out of middle school wrestling for some time but a few years ago USA wrestling in GA ran very successful tournaments using " madison weights " and allowing same day registration. I doubt it is a coincidence they are attracting much larger numbers of youth to the sport than tennessee.

Good luck with your meet.

I would re think the stance on " if you miss weight , you don't wrestle ". At this age the idea is to get the kids and just as important their parents exposed to the sport. Sending someone home because they missed weight, when in all likelyhood most only have access to a cheap bathroom scale is counter productive. With something like 18 weightclasses you are almost guaranteed to either have a class with nobody or one or two entrants so the logical solution is to combine a couple of classes so you have a decent number in the bracket. I have been out of middle school wrestling for some time but a few years ago USA wrestling in GA ran very successful tournaments using " madison weights " and allowing same day registration. I doubt it is a coincidence they are attracting much larger numbers of youth to the sport than tennessee.

I agree with you that people should never be sent home for not making weight at the youth level.

One reason that Georgia has great USA Wrestling numbers is that the Metro Atlanta area has 5.2+ million people according to the latest census figures. The Metro Nashville area has around 1 million people. It truly is a numbers game as the whole state of Tennessee only has 6.4 million people.

Edited by cbg

I agree with you that people should never be sent home for not making weight at the youth level.

One reason that Georgia has great USA Wrestling numbers is that the Metro Atlanta area has 5.2+ million people according to the latest census figures. The Metro Nashville area has around 1 million people. It truly is a numbers game as the whole state of Tennessee only has 6.4 million people.

Another reason is the number and quality of the kids tournaments.

Im not sure how long you have been out of wrestling at the middle school or youth level but things have dramatically changed in Tennessee in the last few years. I do agree we shouldnt turn kids away if they dont make weight and in fact I think that in our current rules this is not allowed. There should be a bump up fee for re-doing the brackets. With us using trackwrestling now it only takes a few minutes to make bracket changes after weigh ins. The reasoning behind not allowing weight changes are in good merit though. For years we were criticized for starting late and the reason we started tournaments late was because of all the bracket changes at the last minute. In fact the argument was, "Georgia doesnt allow you to bump up if you dont make weight and they start their tournaments on time". With everyone using trackwrestling or something similiar we now have the ability to make brackets in a matter of minutes now so that problem has been alleviated. As far as Georgia having bigger and better tournaments than Tennessee that is not neccesarily true anymore. This particular tournament in question is part of our Top 100 series which is the equivalent of Georgia's Tour of Georgia tournament series. Points are kept for all of these tournaments and special awards given out at the end of the year. Madison weights do not work in a series type tournament where points are accumulated throughout the year. In the old days Georgia had a few big tournaments each weekend and their tournaments were very large in numbers due to the fact that there are more kids wrestling in Georgia whithin and hours drive of Atlanta than our entire state of Tennessee has. Its only natural that a state with that much population centered in one area is going to have more wrestlers than a state with a much smaller population spread out over 500 miles. Georgia is now attempting to spread their tournaments out a little more to other parts of the state and their numbers arent what they used to be. With most of Tennessee now wrestling under the Aau umbrella and the Top 100 tournament series we are now attracting more and more kids to our Tournaments. Our last Top 100 tournament at Soddy daisy had almost 700 kids. Thats very impressive considering much of tennessee's middle school kids cant compete due to tssaa rules. In georgia the majority of their middle school kids can compete in Usa events. Even with these limitations placed on our kids we are still hosting almost as many if not more in some cases kids in our tournaments. Georgias last tour of Georgia tournament had 621 kids, Walton had 750, Parkview had less than 400, and the Tour of Georgia at Heritage had roughly 260 kids. Our top 100 tournaments have this many kids easily which is impressive given the fact that our population is smaller and more spread out geographically. Our state is benifitting by this tremendously. Our youth and middle school state teams are placing around the top 10 in the country now at the national dual meet tournaments with placements as high as 7th in both age groups in recent years. This is competing with states such as Pa, Ia, Oh, Mi, Mo, Ne, Il, In,Va, Fl , ectt.. We havent caught up to Georgia yet but given our population difference and middle school limitations we have definitley made improvement on a huge scale in the last 5 years. Tennessee youth wrestling is filled with kids who can compete on a national level now and our high school wrestling will see a benefit of this in up-coming years.

Im not sure how long you have been out of wrestling at the middle school or youth level but things have dramatically changed in Tennessee in the last few years. I do agree we shouldnt turn kids away if they dont make weight and in fact I think that in our current rules this is not allowed. There should be a bump up fee for re-doing the brackets. With us using trackwrestling now it only takes a few minutes to make bracket changes after weigh ins. The reasoning behind not allowing weight changes are in good merit though. For years we were criticized for starting late and the reason we started tournaments late was because of all the bracket changes at the last minute. In fact the argument was, "Georgia doesnt allow you to bump up if you dont make weight and they start their tournaments on time". With everyone using trackwrestling or something similiar we now have the ability to make brackets in a matter of minutes now so that problem has been alleviated. As far as Georgia having bigger and better tournaments than Tennessee that is not neccesarily true anymore. This particular tournament in question is part of our Top 100 series which is the equivalent of Georgia's Tour of Georgia tournament series. Points are kept for all of these tournaments and special awards given out at the end of the year. Madison weights do not work in a series type tournament where points are accumulated throughout the year. In the old days Georgia had a few big tournaments each weekend and their tournaments were very large in numbers due to the fact that there are more kids wrestling in Georgia whithin and hours drive of Atlanta than our entire state of Tennessee has. Its only natural that a state with that much population centered in one area is going to have more wrestlers than a state with a much smaller population spread out over 500 miles. Georgia is now attempting to spread their tournaments out a little more to other parts of the state and their numbers arent what they used to be. With most of Tennessee now wrestling under the Aau umbrella and the Top 100 tournament series we are now attracting more and more kids to our Tournaments. Our last Top 100 tournament at Soddy daisy had almost 700 kids. Thats very impressive considering much of tennessee's middle school kids cant compete due to tssaa rules. In georgia the majority of their middle school kids can compete in Usa events. Even with these limitations placed on our kids we are still hosting almost as many if not more in some cases kids in our tournaments. Georgias last tour of Georgia tournament had 621 kids, Walton had 750, Parkview had less than 400, and the Tour of Georgia at Heritage had roughly 260 kids. Our top 100 tournaments have this many kids easily which is impressive given the fact that our population is smaller and more spread out geographically. Our state is benifitting by this tremendously. Our youth and middle school state teams are placing around the top 10 in the country now at the national dual meet tournaments with placements as high as 7th in both age groups in recent years. This is competing with states such as Pa, Ia, Oh, Mi, Mo, Ne, Il, In,Va, Fl , ectt.. We havent caught up to Georgia yet but given our population difference and middle school limitations we have definitley made improvement on a huge scale in the last 5 years. Tennessee youth wrestling is filled with kids who can compete on a national level now and our high school wrestling will see a benefit of this in up-coming years.

Glad TN youth wrestling is doing better.I've been out for about 7years but the painful memories of some TN kid tournaments still remain. Bracket changes only explain a small part of some of the past problems. There seems to be some conflicting information regarding missing weight. You say the kids can wrestle, the flyer says they can't. The catalyst for me replying in the first place was the notion of an elementry or middle school kid being sent home for missing weight when most classes are only 5lbs apart. Seems idiotic to me. Which is it can a kid missing wieght wrestle or not?

My message was confusing. Sorry about that. I may have spoken out of turn. I will check the rules as we may have voted to not allow bump ups in the top 100 tournaments since the participation numbers are so large and the time needed to change brackets and re-number all bouts. In our regualar weekend tournaments we do allow bracket changes. I will verify this and post the policy as well as get the flier changed if needed. Thanks for the input.