District 4 A girls

Hopi

District 4A GIRLS

• Wartburg has a bye does not play until Friday
  • Oakdale vs Sunbright at Oakdale
  • Oneida vs Coalfield at Oneida
  • Oliver Springs vs Jellico at Oliver Springs

All three games on Tuesday 2/14 have a 7:00 P.M. Start time. Those three winners advance to Semi-finals

Friday 2/17 time TBD. If anyone knows times for Friday please add them.

District 4A GIRLS

• Wartburg has a bye does not play until Friday
  • Oakdale vs Sunbright at Oakdale
  • Oneida vs Coalfield at Oneida
  • Oliver Springs vs Jellico at Oliver Springs

All three games on Tuesday 2/14 have a 7:00 P.M. Start time. Those three winners advance to Semi-finals

Friday 2/17 time TBD. If anyone knows times for Friday please add them.

I think the start times for friday are 530-7-830. Boys on Sat? maybe

I'm not sure how Davis has merited the best coach in the district status? He sometimes resembles a puppet as he turns to confer with his daddy, whom I don't think is a part of his staff. Perhaps he just seeks input from a wise old sage? If you were to go on merit alone I would think Christopher would top the list presently, and I base that on the number of competitive teams she has fielded over the years. Coalfield's Coach is way smarter than the people down their give her credit for, she took a way inferior team up to Oneida and almost ended their season. Snow, at Oakdale, does about what is expected every year....rarely better and sometimes just short, although that could be because of the usual depth of players at the school. Still, about all you need is five, right? Jackson, at Oneida, was supposed to jack that program up the ladder. Maybe she still will, but the team finished 3rd last year and it did so again this season. I think Oneida is going to hit the bright lights pretty soon with what they get back and what they have coming up. That Jr. High didn't go 21-1 with bad players! Sunbright can't ever seem to get 5 good ones at the same time or they would be better.....over the years the have had a few excellent players, but never in a group! Jellico has never had a tremendous girls team, so it is kinda hard to put that on the coach.

Wartburg vs Oz could be the championship this week, but you could pay even odds that it might be Oakdale vs. Oneida too. Hopefully, no one takes offense to my comments because by and large all the girls coaches in this district are good.....like everyone else, they each have flaws too. Should be an interesting tournament.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how Davis has merited the best coach in the district status? He sometimes resembles a puppet as he turns to confer with his daddy, whom I don't think is a part of his staff. Perhaps he just seeks input from a wise old sage? If you were to go on merit alone I would think Christopher would top the list presently, and I base that on the number of competitive teams she has fielded over the years. Coalfield's Coach is way smarter than the people down their give her credit for, she took a way inferior team up to Oneida and almost ended their season. Snow, at Oakdale, does about what is expected every year....rarely better and sometimes just short, although that could be because of the usual depth of players at the school. Still, about all you need is five, right? Jackson, at Oneida, was supposed to jack that program up the ladder. Maybe she still will, but the team finished 3rd last year and it did so again this season. I think Oneida is going to hit the bright lights pretty soon with what they get back and what they have coming up. That Jr. High didn't go 21-1 with bad players! Sunbright can't ever seem to get 5 good ones at the same time or they would be better.....over the years the have had a few excellent players, but never in a group! Jellico has never had a tremendous girls team, so it is kinda hard to put that on the coach.

Wartburg vs Oz could be the championship this week, but you could pay even odds that it might be Oakdale vs. Oneida too. Hopefully, no one takes offense to my comments because by and large all the girls coaches in this district are good.....like everyone else, they each have flaws too. Should be an interesting tournament.

WOW, you would put down a coach that has accomplished what that Davis guy has at Wartburg, and the Snows at Oakdale and put Christopher from O.S. up on a Pillar of success? My goodness that is funny!!! I have Watched her for a few yrs and seen that she has had talent, Got to state finals one time, but look at the talent she has had! Over the past couple of years I have watched her against ONeida, Wartburg, and Oakdale, on some times Coalfield, and in any close game Christopher gets out coached. It very obvious and then she puts the blame on her kids every time she gets out-coached. its not her kids fault every time, maybe sometimes, but I live in Oak Ridge Area and I remember her helping Coach Wright, Thats about all she did!! help. A true coach doesn't blame or point at kids, maybe sometimes their is a need, but ever time they have a close game and lose its her kids fault or the old cliche!! (refs). Any who that is my take on it!!

• Upvote 1

My point about Davis was not to insinuate he can't coach, it was to say he seems to place a reliance on someone that is not a member of his staff. Heck, that might even be a pretty good idea since the Bleachers tend to have all the experts nowdays! :roflol: However, if one was going to seek guidance from another it would seem that it came from the assistant rather than someone else. (that is an opinion, not a cheap shot) Davis manages a very good game and he tends to push the right buttons most of the time. Christopher's best team was led by her own daughter, and I'm sure she invested alot into her development. She got 2nd place out of this years team and in the preseason I heard expectations of fourth and fifth place at best. She is very multiple and her teams are hard to prepare for....which to me is the sign of a good coach. Snow has a limited talent base in such a small community. He develops his teams by starting with basically the same system from the sixth grade. By the time his kids are Juniors and Seniors they tend to know their stuff. That too is reflective of a coach that sees the big picture. Sunbright would do well to follow this blueprint. I think each of these coaches are smart, given the resources they have, they each put a good product out there. Jackson and Jackson (Coalfield and Oneida) are in their league too. Carmen just didn't have the depth of talent to work with this year and Amanda's kids are still learning how to bring her ideas to the court.

This final four can be won by any of the remaining teams. Oneida has beaten Oakdale and OS, and they had Wartburg in a hole at their place before they let them off the hook. They are dangerous. Oakdale has arguably the best player (Kilby), and if she plays well they can win. Wartburg has suceeded the best this year....that match-up defense they run is troublesome in the halfcourt. OS has kept to the grindstone too, so it is anybody"s tournament to win.