Region 1 Officiating video...You make the call.

sweeper2

I as an official love this stuff... This topic was never mentioned by anyone in the gym saturday not even Trent himself. Trent came over to me after the match I congratulated him and told him good luck at state he said thanks and smiled. The kid never once made an excuse just admitted his loss and went on sounds like a few might wanna take some advice from the kids just a thought

Anotherref...of course Trent didn't question you..He was raised not to question authority.. by me, his mother!! And my son doesn't make excuses..thats the reason he smiled and said thank you. Trent was sure the pin was good and no out of bounds called because he thought Goldsteins feet were in bounds. The question was made by me, and after reviewing the video in the car on the way home Trent questioned it also so I asked someone to review it and thats what they posted. Every referee doesn't call things the same..that was evident this past weekend. I can respect that too. However, this was a region championship that should have been watched really closely, regardless of the fast and furious activity.

The reason for this post is stated above...were they out of bounds? Thats the question..not who won or lost.

Edited by humphreyssm
  • Upvote 1

I think it was a good "no call" on the out of bounds. Looks like the top man spun around to keep a supporting point in bounds (foot) as the supporting point of the bottom wrestler rotated out of bounds.

Regardless of the top wrestler spinning around the fact is..they were out of bounds and it should have been brought back to the center

• Upvote 1

Anotherref...of course Trent didn't question you..He was raised not to question authority.. by me, his mother!! And my son doesn't make excuses..thats the reason he smiled and said thank you. Trent was sure the pin was good and no out of bounds called because he thought Goldsteins feet were in bounds. The question was made by me, and after reviewing the video in the car on the way home Trent questioned it also so I asked someone to review it and thats what they posted. Every referee doesn't call things the same..that was evident this past weekend. I can respect that too. However, this was a region championship that should have been watched really closely, regardless of the fast and furious activity.

The reason for this post is stated above...were they out of bounds? Thats the question..not who won or lost.

If I may add to this, questioning the ref generally leads to bigger problems---resenment toward the wrestler, resentment toward the coach, deduction of team points or being thrown out all together. Furthermore, it has been made perfectly clear by ALL of the refs that what they say goes, no matter if they are right or wrong. We had the same problem over the weekend at the same Region 1 tournament. Not the same ref, but the same sort of situation. Sadly, we saw that ref make terrible calls throughout both days. I will say that at our regualr duel tournaments, that it is very frustrating to see bad officiating, but when it comes to Regionals and State, it is downright heartbreaking. I say, if you can't do the job you are paid to do to the best of your ability, then don't take the job!

Regardless of the top wrestler spinning around the fact is..they were out of bounds and it should have been brought back to the center

GOOD CALL! When the bottom wrestler bridged out of bounds his feet clearly stayed inbounds which became his supporting parts, at the same time top wrestler came back in putting shoulders of bottom wrestler inbounds, CLEARLY A GOOD CALL! You might want to rethink posting video when it shows that you are wrong, just a suggestion.

GOOD CALL! When the bottom wrestler bridged out of bounds his feet clearly stayed inbounds which became his supporting parts, at the same time top wrestler came back in putting shoulders of bottom wrestler inbounds, CLEARLY A GOOD CALL! You might want to rethink posting video when it shows that you are wrong, just a suggestion.

Edited by humphreyssm

On the contrary...it was one foot not two and the last i've read one foot doesn't constitute staying in bounds. You don't award a takedown if "one foot" is inbounds..it requires both. I didn't post the video...If you read the rest of the posts...they were questioning the call and wanted feedback from others. I think the poster was trying to get a general concensus on the call.

On the contrary...it was one foot not two and the last i've read one foot doesn't constitute staying in bounds. You don't award a takedown if "one foot" is inbounds..it requires both. I didn't post the video...If you read the rest of the posts...they were questioning the call and wanted feedback from others. I think the poster was trying to get a general concensus on the call.

Go back and look at the video it was clearly 2 feet in, and at the same time the bottom wrestler was going out the top wrestler was bringing him back in. NFL refs would like to have video that clear.

This is not an attack on Steven Goldstein and I want to congradulate him on his victory. But, we had

some sad officiating at the tournament. Three defensive pins were called this weekend alone. I would like to ask you, the people, to watch the video and respond to whether the wrestlers were out of bounds or not? Clearly, they were. I just want to highlight how terrible Region I officiating is. I most certainly dont want to take anything away from what Goldstien and Williams have accomplished, both have had great seasons.w

w

The officiating wasn't near as bad as the actions as some (not all) of the actions and behavior of the parents.

When everyone in the gym hears a mother screaming "I got it on f*&%$ing video!", after her son just got pinned and mammaw comes down to the floor to berate another official after a kid gets pinned, clearly there are more things to be concerned with than how terrible you seem to think the officiating is.

We as officials have a thankless job with the lone exception of loving this sport so much that between October and March we sacrifice time wig our families to be there for the kids on the mat.

I personally stopped two matches when I felt a wrestler's safety was in question, only to have the coach of the kid in question argue about my decision to stop the match. If I don't stop the match and the kid gets hurt, the coaches would be as equally upset. I will NEVER apologize for protecting a wrestler from getting hurt.

My point here is not everyone will walk out of a gym after a tournament happy because of close calls like this one. You had the luxury of instant replay. We do not. However, I would like to quote my wrestling coach which I feel very much applies to this situation.

"If you are not on your back, you can not be pinned." Lou Hooban

• Upvote 1

The fact that he bridged does not change his supporting parts. He is still in near fall critera thus his supporting parts are his shoulders NOT his feet.

Edited by xbody