UT Baseball Coach Dave Serrano

binns37388

I thought I would start a different thread on this subject, since this topic was brought up and discussed on a thread about the Clarksville HS banquet. It seems that all I have done is defend Coach Serrano and I am a Tennessee fan in every sport. Coach Dave Serrano cancelled a speaking engagement with the Tullahoma baseball booster club, it seems because Jordan Sheffield may have committed to Vanderbilt. Coach Serrano said the reason was because he has so many young players on the team, he needed to stay in Knoxville and instruct his young team. That seems like a lame excuse IMO and there are other players on the Tullahoma High School baseball team that might want to come to Tennessee in the future to play baseball. A person is only as good as his word. I think Coach Serrano made a poor decision to cancel the speaking engagement and I would tell him that to his face. Does that mean I won't support UT baseball? Of course not, I'm a Vol for Life. I graduated from THS and I hope Tullahoma has a great season and I'll be at more Tullahoma games than Tennessee. If Jordan (Justin) Sheffield goes to Vandy, it will be a lot closer for the family to watch him play and right now the Vandy program is one of the top programs in the nation and I hear you can get a pretty good education there. I respected Jordan's decision to not play football and I respect his decision to go to Vandy. Sometimes, honoring committments can cost you in the long run, as it did with me working as a judicial commissioner at the Coffee Co jail, but that's another story. I also would respect people a little more if they put their real names behind their posts on Coach T and not use screen names, but that's easy for me to say since I'm retired and don't have to worry about losing a job or business because I hurt someone feelings. There are two sides to every story.

The coach almost made a HUGE mistake it is against NCAA rules for him to speak at any event where players are at. He could be considered a recruiting violation. I know of another team that tried to get a college coach to speak at and was told it would be a violation.

players will be at the one he is speaking at in Clarksville. Where ever he speaks you will find some baseball players.