Region 4-AA Tournament

Omniscience

Kroger grow up enough with the back and forth. Congrats to Livingston on the win. Sequatchie led the entire 1st half and into the 2nd when Livingston made a run that won them the game. The refs weren't the best but they didn't cost Sequatchie the game. Livingston hit them in the mouth with that run and the Indians couldn't respond. Sequatchie now looks to an old district foe in Howard while the Ram Train is getting oiled up for the trip to Livingston.

I will respect this post since it is the 1st one that gave LA a little credit and didnt blame the refs! We know Tyner all too well, we've hosted them 3 of the last 4 years in substate. Its always a great game & dont expect anything different. I do wish sequatchie best of luck & would like to see both region 4aa teams advance!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will respect this post since it is the 1st one that gave LA a little credit and didnt blame the refs! We know Tyner all too well, we've hosted them 3 of the last 4 years in substate. Its always a great game & dont expect anything different. I do wish sequatchie best of luck & would like to see both region 4aa teams advance!

I apologize yal but the refs was bad... Good Luck la

I think smith co will supprise you! One thing they do have is good guard play. If the Indians can score in the paint they will win.Smith is a very quick defensive team. They can put pressure on the ball. Alot will depend on their 3pt shot. They have a couple of guys that can fill it up. Smith beat a good AAA Cookeville team that depends on alot of guard scoring early in the year, so it could be a barn-burner!

Yeah, Smith put a LITTLE scare in the Indians but not for long. They can shoot the three some.

A 7-AA fan complaining of officials? No way. However, congratulations to Livingston Academy. Team defense was the key as well as the shots finally falling in the second half. The officials didn't make five threes in the second half to spark a run. Good luck to Sequatchie, as one said, "you will need it."

hey, KUDOS to a solid,dedicated INDIAN team that played with heart all year. The game against DeKalb was nerve wracking at the end. We led only 11-8 after 1, 29-20 at the half and 50-42 after 3. Yes, the refs were awful that night, missing several travelling calls. We seemed to have things well in hand But De Kalb was putting full court pressure on us and it was 59-52 with just over 3 minutes to go in the game. With less than a minute to go it was 67-63 Indians. Then, with two free throws, 67-65 with 40 seconds left. Still, they kept the pressure on and the game ended on a goaltending call against DeKalb for a final of 74-70. Too close for comfort. With the bruising inside play of Livingstone AND their ability to shoot from outside, even though we led at half, it was just by 3. We were down 43- 39 with two minutes to go in the third and LA began hitting shots while we were missing shots and turning the ball over. Their front line of #25 and 00 were just too big, too strong.

51-40 going into the final period and we just could not make a rally. Daniel Cartwright tried- and hit a couple of threes to get it under 10 but - too little - too late.

Good luck , LA...

A 7-AA fan complaining of officials? No way. However, congratulations to Livingston Academy. Team defense was the key as well as the shots finally falling in the second half. The officials didn't make five threes in the second half to spark a run. Good luck to Sequatchie, as one said, "you will need it."

22-8 in the third quarter, including something like 12-1 to end the third in the last 2-3 minutes, was definitely the difference. Sequatchie could not get good shots, ones they did get missed, and Livingston started hitting the threes. After that it relatively even but you can't erase that run in the third quarter. Livingston was physical in the post-Sequatchie's fans would say too physical, especially when virtually nothing was called on them until late in the game, Livingston's fans would say "that's just basketball." Hard box outs, defending your ground in the post are different from going over the top when you're boxed out to get it, making contact on shots under the basket. Regardless, that's the way it was called/not called. LA's posts were allowed to stay in the lane far too long, though nothing like the kid from DeKalb, I think he was still in there tonight. Like someone said, things started being called on Livingston closely, late, after the game was likely in hand. I despise that type officiating, don't start switching it late to make it seem more even in the foul calls or in the overall calling of the game.

"Outclassed" was the term mentioned and I would not have even brought this up if I'd not seen it. Did any of you miss that slap to the back of the head after a foul by Livingston under the basket? At the least it should have been a technical foul, 2 FT and retaining the ball, at the most the player is lucky he was not ejected. Swing and connecting, I've seen ejections for that in both football and basketball. He'd have also been out the next game. From the way I saw it was unprovoked, he just looked angry he'd been taken to the basket and finally had a foul called on him, swung and struck the other player in the back of the head. This was mentioned earlier too but nobody from LA chose to address it. Another player yelled at a ref after being called for a walk, less than 10 feet from and facing him, and wasn't called for a T, either. Again, lucky.

All that said, either opponent would be difficult to overcome in the sectional, at this point all teams are good so I don't know how much playing on the road will affect anyone. Most teams will have good crowds and I expect even more at Howard than Sequatchie had tonight.

Edited by Indian

hey, KUDOS to a solid,dedicated INDIAN team that played with heart all year. The game against DeKalb was nerve wracking at the end. We led only 11-8 after 1, 29-20 at the half and 50-42 after 3. Yes, the refs were awful that night, missing several travelling calls. We seemed to have things well in hand But De Kalb was putting full court pressure on us and it was 59-52 with just over 3 minutes to go in the game. With less than a minute to go it was 67-63 Indians. Then, with two free throws, 67-65 with 40 seconds left. Still, they kept the pressure on and the game ended on a goaltending call against DeKalb for a final of 74-70. Too close for comfort. With the bruising inside play of Livingstone AND their ability to shoot from outside, even though we led at half, it was just by 3. We were down 43- 39 with two minutes to go in the third and LA began hitting shots while we were missing shots and turning the ball over. Their front line of #25 and 00 were just too big, too strong.

51-40 going into the final period and we just could not make a rally. Daniel Cartwright tried- and hit a couple of threes to get it under 10 but - too little - too late.

Good luck , LA...

Good luck to Sequatchie Co. in their substate game, and thank you for showing readers of these message boards that Sequatchie Co. fans are not all like the one or two crybabies who have continued to show their backside in their posts. Sequatchie Co. has mostly great fans and great people along with a VERY good boys team and a great group of young men. Best of luck!

I hate to complain about referees. But, if you LA fans believe the refs weren't favoring your team, you're either blind or you wasn't at the game. Cartwright was rode to the basket all night. His jersey being held on drives. Being bumped in the air on jumpers. Then a touch foul would be called against Sequatchie on the perimeter. LA big men would make a nice block, then Frederick would be called for a bump on a block doing the same thing. And yes, I seen the slap too. 00 was a punk the entire night. After the play was blown dead he tried to get a bump in on someone every time. Yes, LA's big men were very good players. Strong, smooth, and physical. What's sad is Sequatchies post were called for fouls when being physical. The game would have been much better without refs at all. LA went from a 20% 3 pt team in the first half to an 80% second half. There's just nothing you can do about that. If Cartwright would have had 2 more minutes I believe the Indians would have pulled it off. In the fourth he probly scored half of his points catching fire. It was just not enough. However, I hope to see LA win, along with Sequatchie so that maybe they can meet again in Murfreesboro.

I would say 00 for Livingston is one of the nicer young men around. However, I could not see the play you speak of because I was sitting behind some Sasquatchie fans who were "into it" about every "no-call" and couldn't sit down. Sorry. I would find the severity of this incident false based on the individual involved. But, who knows?

I hate to complain about referees. But, if you LA fans believe the refs weren't favoring your team, you're either blind or you wasn't at the game. Cartwright was rode to the basket all night. His jersey being held on drives. Being bumped in the air on jumpers. Then a touch foul would be called against Sequatchie on the perimeter. LA big men would make a nice block, then Frederick would be called for a bump on a block doing the same thing. And yes, I seen the slap too. 00 was a punk the entire night. After the play was blown dead he tried to get a bump in on someone every time. Yes, LA's big men were very good players. Strong, smooth, and physical. What's sad is Sequatchies post were called for fouls when being physical. The game would have been much better without refs at all. LA went from a 20% 3 pt team in the first half to an 80% second half. There's just nothing you can do about that. If Cartwright would have had 2 more minutes I believe the Indians would have pulled it off. In the fourth he probly scored half of his points catching fire. It was just not enough. However, I hope to see LA win, along with Sequatchie so that maybe they can meet again in Murfreesboro.

Really? C'mon man. Show some class guys. I was on the first row, and I seen no slap or dirty play after the whistle of any kind. There was physical play down low, but nothing that the refs didn't controll. I thought the refs done a good job for the most part. What the refs missed, the missed both ways. Tough game to have called, maybe oldschoolhooper should have been given the whistle to show how much better he could do? I have watched 00 play ball for a long time now, and I have never seen him do anything like the things that you guys are saying he done. The refs did not decide the game, I think the run that LA went on in the 2nd half set the tone for the rest of the game. All I ask is to show some class guys. Congrats to LA and good luck to the Indians moving forward. Both teams played a heck of a ball game last night!

22-8 in the third quarter, including something like 12-1 to end the third in the last 2-3 minutes, was definitely the difference. Sequatchie could not get good shots, ones they did get missed, and Livingston started hitting the threes. After that it relatively even but you can't erase that run in the third quarter. Livingston was physical in the post-Sequatchie's fans would say too physical, especially when virtually nothing was called on them until late in the game, Livingston's fans would say "that's just basketball." Hard box outs, defending your ground in the post are different from going over the top when you're boxed out to get it, making contact on shots under the basket. Regardless, that's the way it was called/not called. LA's posts were allowed to stay in the lane far too long, though nothing like the kid from DeKalb, I think he was still in there tonight. Like someone said, things started being called on Livingston closely, late, after the game was likely in hand. I despise that type officiating, don't start switching it late to make it seem more even in the foul calls or in the overall calling of the game.

"Outclassed" was the term mentioned and I would not have even brought this up if I'd not seen it. Did any of you miss that slap to the back of the head after a foul by Livingston under the basket? At the least it should have been a technical foul, 2 FT and retaining the ball, at the most the player is lucky he was not ejected. Swing and connecting, I've seen ejections for that in both football and basketball. He'd have also been out the next game. From the way I saw it was unprovoked, he just looked angry he'd been taken to the basket and finally had a foul called on him, swung and struck the other player in the back of the head. This was mentioned earlier too but nobody from LA chose to address it. Another player yelled at a ref after being called for a walk, less than 10 feet from and facing him, and wasn't called for a T, either. Again, lucky.

All that said, either opponent would be difficult to overcome in the sectional, at this point all teams are good so I don't know how much playing on the road will affect anyone. Most teams will have good crowds and I expect even more at Howard than Sequatchie had tonight.

Seems like we seen the same tactics and calls in the finals as well. Good luck to the Indians

Really? C'mon man. Show some class guys. I was on the first row, and I seen no slap or dirty play after the whistle of any kind. There was physical play down low, but nothing that the refs didn't controll. I thought the refs done a good job for the most part. What the refs missed, the missed both ways. Tough game to have called, maybe oldschoolhooper should have been given the whistle to show how much better he could do? I have watched 00 play ball for a long time now, and I have never seen him do anything like the things that you guys are saying he done. The refs did not decide the game, I think the run that LA went on in the 2nd half set the tone for the rest of the game. All I ask is to show some class guys. Congrats to LA and good luck to the Indians moving forward. Both teams played a heck of a ball game last night!

00 did have the slap, but I believe it was more or less he blocked the first shot that the foul was called on and the player went back up with the ball and he swatted and hit the player. Don' t believe it was flagrant but very well could be saw as