Could have missed the pain but would have had to miss the dance

oldlion

Anyone who knows me realizes that I'm an old Red Bank boy with a simple mind. If you realize that fact, you understand why I'd gain some inspiration from a Garth Brooks song rather than some renowned philosopher. In fact, I'm pretty proud of my old Red Bank heritage... I made lifelong friends there, thought Tom Weathers hung the moon (still do) and have been lucky to keep in touch with many of the friends I think so much of through my son's wrestling experience. I digress a bit but I want to point out that I was never part of a State championship team during that time but I wouldn't give up those days for a million bucks.

I want to clear the air a bit on a couple of things. First, I've tried to stay away from the posts but this morning I spent some time looking over them. My request: End these posts now on the topic. God love the Father Ryan fans and family. The passion, the love, the camaraderie, the BS we put up with because of Marchetti... My son has felt that, has loved being part of it, has thrived on the tradition. Let's focus the passion on things we can change and let's celebrate a State Championship... we all know how hard they are to come by. The focus for Cole is going to be that he gave everything he had - practice, matches, etc. In the end, that is really all that coaches and we as parents can ever ask - give me your very best. For the folks on the other side of the call, let it go as well. We're moving on and I know for a fact it will be turned into a positive down the road for Cole. One day, he will look back and realize what he was a part of and he won't give that feeling up for a million bucks.

Second, what do Pat Simpson, Damon Smith, Vince Gioella, Jim Simpson, Brian Gobbel and Matt Gorham have in common? They've touched a million lives in a positive way and made young boys into young men. Every year I see our grads come back into the room and I know they've all been made a bit better by the experience they've had because of these fine men. What else do these guys have in common? I'm pretty sure none of them won an individual State championship. But they didn't let it affect their lives negatively. They turned it into a positive. I know in my heart that the experiences Cole has had wrestling will prepare him for whatever life brings and it will make him a better person. Who knows... one advantage he may have over these unbelievable men I mentioned, is he knows the joy of standing on the top shelf after a State Championship and the pain of standing on the 2nd.

Third, there was a post about our coaches not arguing 'the call'. Not sure who posted or why - I'm guessing it was not a FR fan. But let me tell you...the FR family is strong. Cole was at Father Ryan for many reasons but Pat Simpson was one of the biggest. These coaches have fought for Cole, have sweated with Cole and we respect and appreciate the very positive impact they've had. We've never questioned them on anything and we aren't starting now. Enough on that subject.

I'd like to thank and congratulate all the Father Ryan wrestlers. We have 14 placers - truly a team win. Ecky, Little Was, Little bald headed Fish, Simpy, Marky, The Cos, Lionhearted Nolan, C-Mo, Hook, TJ, Fish, Lags, Cheese, and Trev. I won't post more on these guys because I'll tell them all face to face how proud I am of every one of them.

Congrats to our friends from the west on your first. I know you are proud and I know you've made everyone step up their game. I wish you the best but I, as you know, hope the Purple Irish are always standing in your way! Also, send us Edwards back - he is ours! :)

Being a Red Bank boy, I'm not sure I'll ever look at the Red Raiders without wanting to beat them (sorry, in my blood). That said - what a fine group of young men and parents. Tell the truth, at least 2 of them are really Red Bankers - probably the reason they've turned out to be nice. Bodar - you should be proud and been great seeing you and watching Matt grow up. Billy - great run, you, Zack and the family have handled success in a manner to be admired. Houston, like I told you, you'll get to the top step - just don't take down a purple uniform to get there. Matthew and the Cates - well done, I know you are proud.

BCB - I know your biggest regret is not seeing Tee or Jack don a purple singlet. A friend of mine said you put one on at night to help invigorate you a bit. I hope that helps solve some of your issues but we know there are many. Jack - congratulations. You are a great example of overcoming genetic challenges coming from the 'y' chromosome parent.

Steve Henry and SD - well done. You are really Red Bank north and don't forget it. Gary and Campbell thanks for your friendship and look forward to seeing you around.

Probably left about a million folks out - can't cover it all and no one wants to read this crap anyway.

I'll end with this line from an old Hank Snow song... 'we're moving on!'

For a Red Bank kid... A fine written epistle w/ a taste of bcb, we will miss, at the end actually and slightly unique to the ol irishdad! :)

FYI... My Legrand found his pain hard to handle being cradled to his back & all, but he (and all of us involved) felt it a feeling of accomplishment to even make it to state and some how make through that bracket to the finals. It's notable that counting lights was something he rarely did but your boy was the first to do that to him a year or so ago and the closest to pinning him ever(including elementary. Middle & HS). Cole has been a true competitor and knowing his character, he never thought of shooting without improving his chances to score,,, and I believe that's the way he will be in life, and I hope all my boys & girls will have that kind of fortitude and drive!

The Soms