Bradley and Blackmon an instant classic...almost.

Ericblair

I am not a fan of either school. I was at the game and it was a complete injustice for a game with so much meaning to end with such poor judgement by the official. The kid in question should have already recieved a technical foul. That was the first mistake the crew made. He had shown overtly physical disgust at multiple calls and mouthed and shrugged at the officials on a couple of occasions. I only assume they let those slide with warnings in an attempt not to 'influence' a game that was back and forth the entire second half. So to then make the call that they did at then end of the game is ridiculous. Of all the instances this player had during the game this was by far the least deserving. He was walking towards the bench and not looking at or motioning towards any of the officials. He obviously mouthed something walking towards his bench and a ref from the other side of the scorers table saw it. Sad way to end such an exciting hard fought basketball game between two very talented basketball teams.

I am not a fan of either school. I was at the game and it was a complete injustice for a game with so much meaning to end with such poor judgement by the official. The kid in question should have already recieved a technical foul. That was the first mistake the crew made. He had shown overtly physical disgust at multiple calls and mouthed and shrugged at the officials on a couple of occasions. I only assume they let those slide with warnings in an attempt not to 'influence' a game that was back and forth the entire second half. So to then make the call that they did at then end of the game is ridiculous. Of all the instances this player had during the game this was by far the least deserving. He was walking towards the bench and not looking at or motioning towards any of the officials. He obviously mouthed something walking towards his bench and a ref from the other side of the scorers table saw it. Sad way to end such an exciting hard fought basketball game between two very talented basketball teams.

So let me get this right...if there is only 1 second on the clock in a tie game, then it is acceptable for a 17-18 year old kid to say "F You" to an official?!!!(yes, that is what was said) The poster is right, he could have been called for one earlier, but the officials just warned both sides. I'm sorry, if that is my kid I'm jerking a knot in his tail. After the Bradley player slipped and Blackman got the t.o. called, the kid apparantly thought a foul should have been called or something. The official closest to the bench then turned around and walked to the scorers table. This is when the young man thought it would be a good idea to spout off. Just so happened that the other official saw it. I'm sorry, but if you have ever officiated you know that if a player spouts off behind the back of one of your crew, he's getting T'd. If you say "F you" at any point in any sporting event to an official, you DESERVE to get T'd. I don't care if there is .1 seconds left.

I will say in closing that it was a bad way to end a game. Both teams deserved to play it out. However, you CANNOT let that slide. What are we trying to teach these kids. If it was an NBA game, it might have been overlooked, but high schools sports are about teaching the players more than wins and losses.

Edited by blazeburnin

dont you think the ref he said something to should have call the t not one 40 feet away come on people this ref had a reason only he knows and he also had a out of bounds call over turned to so im a ref you say something to me ill call a t not wait on someone else to

No, because he might have heard it, but you can't be certain where it came from. Fans are pretty close to the bench and if he had called a T, and somebody in the crowd had said it, then Bradley would have a gripe. As it stands, it was a player that said it, and the other official saw it. This is going to be like a fishing tale - in a year that official will have come from the balcony to call it. He was about 20 feet away. Here's an object lesson for you; have one of your buddies stand 20-30 feet away and demonstratively mouth "F You". He doesn't even have to verbalize it, and see if you can tell what he said. I have a hunch it will be pretty clear.

The player who got the technical, did mouth off earlier in the game, he said "f-you"....but nobody knows if he said anything or what he said. The ref didn't even tell Coach Smith anything. Both teams played well and I do think a technical should be called, but not if there's any doubt on what the player said or did...and not in a tied sub state game. Now Blackman Will know that they didn't win that game...and won't ever know who really would have, and I'm sure they have it in their mind that Bradley Central would have....that's a haunting thought. It's like cheating on a huge test...like the ACT and you get into a college and everyone's so proud but you know you didn't deserve it and you didn't get the opportunity to find out what you really could do on your own. It's sad and heartbreaking.

No, because he might have heard it, but you can't be certain where it came from. Fans are pretty close to the bench and if he had called a T, and somebody in the crowd had said it, then Bradley would have a gripe. As it stands, it was a player that said it, and the other official saw it. This is going to be like a fishing tale - in a year that official will have come from the balcony to call it. He was about 20 feet away. Here's an object lesson for you; have one of your buddies stand 20-30 feet away and demonstratively mouth "F You". He doesn't even have to verbalize it, and see if you can tell what he said. I have a hunch it will be pretty clear.

Indian....

As runnershigh has stated, the official was at least 30 ft away, standing by Bradley Centrals coach. There is no possible way that he Heard anything...

It doesn't matter how many games he's won, if he's questioning if something was said, at all, that's petty. Clearly something had to be said though my question was the severity of it. I wasn't there. One of the Blackman guys has since said on here the player used one of the "words that can't be used" and used it in a manner that wasn't just an interjection, it was directed to a referee (a two-word, seven total letter phrase). The blame shouldn't fall on the referee, it goes to the player for not getting over to the bench to work on final-second defense and to the coach for apparently not calming him down after repeated warnings.

It doesn't matter how many games he's won, if he's questioning if something was said, at all, that's petty. Clearly something had to be said though my question was the severity of it. I wasn't there. One of the Blackman guys has since said on here the player used one of the "words that can't be used" and used it in a manner that wasn't just an interjection, it was directed to a referee (a two-word, seven total letter phrase). The blame shouldn't fall on the referee, it goes to the player for not getting over to the bench to work on final-second defense and to the coach for apparently not calming him down after repeated warnings.

I'm sorry but since you weren't there, you do not know how this game went. The bc player was by another ref on one side of the court and the ref who made the call was on the opposite. The ref the player was standing next to...said he didn't see or hear anything. His is that? I'm sorry but Bradley would have won this game....and it does matter the coaches record, because he obviously knows what he is doing and has gained a lot of respect from it. If his guys are wrong he admits it, he never blames an official. If he questioned it, then there was a reason. Say what you want but some ref made an atrocious decision with poor judgement and should lose his job. If you read the previous comments from others, you'll see that even Blacman fans disagree with the call. I'm assuming that you or someone close to you is an official, I'm sorry I hit a nerve.