Bradley and Blackmon an instant classic...almost.

Ericblair

He mouthed something earlier in the game, so did the blackman boys.... The player who had the technical called in the end...didn't mouth or say anything at the end. They had all been warned and that was the end of it.

Wow I guess myself and at least half a dozen people I have heard that have said the exact same thing momentarily went into a worm-hole and entered an alternate reality. He DEFINATELY said "something" and it wasn't "good call". So you can spin it into revisionist history all you want to, but the reality is that he said it, an official saw it, and he reacted appropriately.

And to the statement that Bradley "would have" won and Blackman knows that is a joke. Nobody really knows what would have happened. I do know that Blackman made adjustments at the half and held Bradley to only 13 points in the 2nd half. So I'm thinking that Blackman had momentum and would have made another run in OT to win the game.

Edited by blazeburnin

Also, if he said something...why did the ref that was standing there tell the ref who called it that he didn't see or hear him say anything. He knew his fellow ref made a terrible call. Let's also say...what if overtime had happened and the bears lost, then honestly...the Blackman players would have a real win to be excited about and this back and forth about the officials and the horrible game ending call wouldn't even be happening. Bradley would have gracefully gone out with class.

WOW!!!! First of all, I am a Bradley fan and a fan of the player who got the technical. Secondly, my son played on the teams that went to the state for Bradley three straight seasons and had to beat Blackman to get there. I understand Blackman's excitement and enthusiasm. Thirdly, my daughter lives right beside Blackman and teaches in Murfreesboro, so when they are not playing BCHS, I normally pull for a Murfreesboro team. Therefore, I think I am somewhat objectionable.That language should never be tolerated at any point in the game, not the first quarter or the last. However, if he did not say it, then it was a major misjustice to award a technical to the team. IF there was any question at all as to what was said, and if was not directed toward the referee, with one second left in a tie game, I feel it should have been overlooked. Hey, the game was going into overtime. Warn the player, then toss him during overtime at the least little resistance that he may show. However, I have never seen this player display bad behavior on the court. BTW, the player in question is really mild mannered off the court and a really sweet guy. I was not there, and I have heard numerous DIFFERENT stories, so I am assuming that only two people know the REAL story. I hate like everything that this happened. Noone will ever know who would have won the game. We can all specualate. Bottom line is that the call was made and it was a very sad ending to an otherwise great game. Nobody... NOBODY knows who would have won the game.. If, if, if..... Like the girls game--NOBODY knows who would have won the game, IF the senior girl had not been hurt, IF we had not been effected by weather... We could have won, but who really knows??? BC could have won last night, but then again, the end result may have been the same.The problem is that we will never know. The technical did not CAUSE the Bears to lose, rather CAUSED Blackman to win. I wish we didn't have to argue this point and that it was settled on the court. What I was even more disappointed in was though, was the way many adults handled the situation.....I also was disappointed, very much so, in the way Blackman student section was allowed to taunt the Bradley students after such a wild finish. Where was the Blackman administration? The Blackman fans a were absolutely awesome until the ending. I know, I know, we had some adults who acted just as bad. It was a stressful situation at best, and I just hated so much the way it ended, but everybody has their own opinion as to how it should have been handled. Me, I am a disciplinarian, so I like discipline, BUT I am also a competetor so I like games settled on the court..... Just a bad situation!!!! By the way, Blackman fans---I was so very impressed by your rock band and band during the football game in the fall!!!!

Edited by tnwareagle

I laughed when I I read this, Blackman was exhausted and out coached. Bradley would have won. Spinning it isn't an option. It is what it is.

Wow, we must have been at 2 different games. At your game the BC player said NOTHING at the end of the game and the Blackman team was "exhausted". At my game the BC player says "F You" behind an official's back and the Blackman team was pretty jacked up after taking it to BC in the 2nd half.

And to the out-coached part...BC had a good plan coming into the game, but Blackman CLEARLY adjusted and took it to them in the 2nd half...yes that is clearly an out-coaching if I ever saw one. Actually it was a well-coached game on both sides, but to say BC out-coached Blackman.....funny stuff.

Also, if he said something...why did the ref that was standing there tell the ref who called it that he didn't see or hear him say anything. He knew his fellow ref made a terrible call. Let's also say...what if overtime had happened and the bears lost, then honestly...the Blackman players would have a real win to be excited about and this back and forth about the officials and the horrible game ending call wouldn't even be happening. Bradley would have gracefully gone out with class.

He didn't know it happened, because he had turned around and started to walk away. The other official saw it and should have seen it. It was during a timeout. I don't thind they are allowed to go to the concession stand. They are there watching the benches...one official observing each bench. If you ask anybody on BC's team or coaching staff and get them to speak candidly they would tell you they wouldn't be suprised that he said something like that. I have no clue about the kid other than the hour and a half watching him play last night, and it is obvious he is a hot-head. He might be a great kid, but in competitive situations, he doesn't know how to handle himself. Like the other poster said, if it would have been my kid, I would have snatched him up at halftime after his antics.

Wow, we must have been at 2 different games. At your game the BC player said NOTHING at the end of the game and the Blackman team was "exhausted". At my game the BC player says "F You" behind an official's back and the Blackman team was pretty jacked up after taking it to BC in the 2nd half.

And to the out-coached part...BC had a good plan coming into the game, but Blackman CLEARLY adjusted and took it to them in the 2nd half...yes that is clearly an out-coaching if I ever saw one. Actually it was a well-coached game on both sides, but to say BC out-coached Blackman.....funny stuff.

By the 4th quarter Blackman was tired...and yes thank God the coach adjusted the game plan because up until the 2nd half Bradley was definitely the leader. Come on now....kent smith is the best men's high school basketball coach in most regions and probably top 10 in the state. He out coaches anyone. The players may have stepped it up because they saw how prepared Bradley central was but the Blackman coach lost any class points for laughing in a fans face and also saying what he said about his team deserving that ending because they were poised. Baha. A REAL coach...wants to win based on how the game is played. Not by lucking out on a technical. A real competitor doesn't want to win by default.

He didn't know it happened, because he had turned around and started to walk away. The other official saw it and should have seen it. It was during a timeout. I don't thind they are allowed to go to the concession stand. They are there watching the benches...one official observing each bench. If you ask anybody on BC's team or coaching staff and get them to speak candidly they would tell you they wouldn't be suprised that he said something like that. I have no clue about the kid other than the hour and a half watching him play last night, and it is obvious he is a hot-head. He might be a great kid, but in competitive situations, he doesn't know how to handle himself. Like the other poster said, if it would have been my kid, I would have snatched him up at halftime after his antics.

Oh I know exactly what happened. I wish I could let you see the tapes and watch the replay of it all, it's quite interesting. Also, if you knew the coaches would agree...I would love to hear the phone call when you talk to Coach Smith...He wouldn't agree. I can promise you that.

Edited by Baller5714

By the 4th quarter Blackman was tired...and yes thank God the coach adjusted the game plan because up until the 2nd half Bradley was definitely the leader. Come on now....kent smith is the best men's high school basketball coach in most regions and probably top 10 in the state. He out coaches anyone. The players may have stepped it up because they saw how prepared Bradley central was but the Blackman coach lost any class points for laughing in a fans face and also saying what he said about his team deserving that ending because they were poised. Baha. A REAL coach...wants to win based on how the game is played. Not by lucking out on a technical. A real competitor doesn't want to win by default.

TRUE, a real competetor wants to win on the court, BUT I don't think any of the coaches for either team lost class during this game. Kent actually held his cool better than most. The Blackman coach did nothing wrong. It was a FEW adults on the BC side and a few students in the Blackman cheering section who acted out of line.

Edited by tnwareagle

First let me make it clear I am a Bradley fan. I did not attend the game last night, but did listen a radio broadcast of a terrific game being played.

After reading all that was said here, the knowing a first hand account by an someone who was in attendence, I have to say a couple of things.

First off only two people really know exactly what transpired. The player and the official making the call. And if things were said thaat were foul mouthed it should have been dealt with. I have no problem with that.

But there are couple of things that I have suggest don't exactly meet the smell test to me with what I have been able to discover so far.

First off it was really noisy. So noisy that the radio announcers were barely audible at times so I know that normal conversation in that gym would have been difficult. So the official who was in close proximity did not hear a comment, nor did Coach Smith. But an official from 30 or so feet away "heard" the comment well enough to throw a technical? Now I don't know about you but unless you are a lip reader or have superior bat hearing, that just does not add up.

Secondly if his comment was not said why didn't the official who was standing there, and was apparently the object of the expletive override the first? After all he was the one that should have the authority to make the call if he thought it was warranted.

I really hope the "call" was for the right reasons, and if so I have no problem with the official. However, with the above questions, probably forever truly unanswered, there is going to discussion and debate. And if he did make and error then I hope it was only an honest mistake, but if it was a call made to determine an outcome, I hope it comes to light and he is dismissed from the officiating fraternity.

Now we have all seen bad calls cost our teams games and give our teams wins. It is part of sports and sometimes unfortunately part of life, in bigger things as well. It is sad that a game of this quality and magnitude be decided in such a way as to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Nothing that is going to come out of this debate will make any difference the results or what is going forward.

You keep beating this drum that Blackman was tired....lets look at the stats.

12 - 11 - 7 - 6

6 - 11 - 14 - 7

You have to take the 4th quarter in context. BC tried to take the air out of the ball on offense and go to the stall technique with 3 minutes left in the game, so not a lot of points for either team. Based on the flow of the game and the stats which of those two lines looks like the team that is getting tired and out-coached during the game? The top or the bottom. I would love to hear your rational answer.

Blackman is built on Defense. They will guard you till midnight if they have to. They appeared to be shocked by BC's size (or lack thereof) and quickness in the 1st half. They adjusted and took control. The one negative for Blackman is why we couldn't get it up court any better. I know that BC's press did a good job trapping and taking things away, but we just did some wierd stuff. You never go backwards before getting it across mid-court. Also, we picked up our dribble way to early allowing ideal trapping conditions leading to turnovers. That HAS to be cleaned up to play in the tourney.