Goodpasture Basketball Opening

Rainwater

Goodpasture used to be a tradition rich basketball program. Ron Mercer, Alan Banks, Armando Fitz, Jeff Jarrett (yes the wrestler Jeff Jarrett), Drew Maddux, and Sam Howard, to name a few players. The program has endured a number of losing seasons since 2000 when Steve Reece stepped down. The last coach was the quality of coach or person that Goodpasture needed to hire. Dont be surprised if Goodpasture doesn't go to one its former players to try and turn the program around. Drew Maddux would be a great choice, I doubt he would leave CPA. There are couple others out there I know of who are interested. One of them has been out of coaching for a year now and looking to get back in it and would a major upgrade.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodpasture used to be a tradition rich basketball program. Ron Mercer, Alan Banks, Armando Fitz, Jeff Jarrett (yes the wrestler Jeff Jarrett), Drew Maddux, and Sam Howard, to name a few players. The program has endured a number of losing seasons since 2000 when Steve Reece stepped down. The last coach was the quality of coach or person that Goodpasture needed to hire. Dont be surprised if Goodpasture doesn't go to one its former players to try and turn the program around. Drew Maddux would be a great choice, I doubt he would leave CPA. There are couple others out there I know of who are interested. One of them has been out of coaching for a year now and looking to get back in it and would a major upgrade.

I don't think Maddux is Church of Christ. I believe because of this he can not coach at Goodpasture.

I don't think Maddux is Church of Christ. I believe because of this he can not coach at Goodpasture.

Maddux isn't going to Goodpasture for the fact that he can bring/market/recruit in all the talent he wants, has a stable of young talent, and is "director of admissions"..........nothing to do with the fact if he is Church of Christ.

Maddux isn't going to Goodpasture for the fact that he can bring/market/recruit in all the talent he wants, has a stable of young talent, and is "director of admissions"..........nothing to do with the fact if he is Church of Christ.

It used to be a rule that you had to be Church of Christ in order to teach or coach at Goodpasture. Not sure if it's still in or not. Maybe someone over at Goodpasture could share some light on this.

I would think that Ron Sarver (former Ezell player) and current Hendersonville assistant would be a potential candidate.

Whoo Smokestack that would be an excellent choice. Young Ron Sarver would be an awesome choice for that position. His dad the architect of Ronnies Runts. Got to play basketball with Old man Ronnie Sarver years ago in the church league...he was quite the player in his older age as he was a coach. Young Ronnie is a great young man...known him for a long time and he gave a tooth in their run at Ezell in his senior year to help his team win a State Championship...the onley one we have ever had.

He gets my vote.

Gman

Gman, always fun to read your comics. Breaking news out of Madison, rumor has it that a decision could be made by the end of the week possibly early next week. One rumor I have heard and hope is not true is that they are asking for some advice from Coach Maddux. Doesn't make alot of sense to seek from an opposing region coach.

Heard the former coach at Sycamore(Worsley I think was his last name) and Coach Massey were both had some interest but they both are happy where they are now. how abut the assistant at Station Camp? Good guy and very knowledgable about the game. Few others out there but hope the Goodpasture finds who they are looking for.