JP II Open

Bucksfan

You have to think that it's got something, if not a lot, to do with administration. Especially with all the recent coaching changes (including boys and girls basketball). Whoever is next will be the 3rd football head coach for the rising seniors.

I dont know if they are the the problem but they definitely are part of the issue whether they want to be or not. They like many smaller privates trying to run with the big dogs either cant or wont make changes needed in order to compete. Father Ryan will always hurt JPII. Also JPII like other sports have lacrosee and other sports that take away from Football. A few of the better players over the past year or two have left JPII not because of Coach R but simply due to issues. Obviously coach Rutledge is a first rate coach and Jeff Brothers is having success at Nashville Christian. I dont know how many assistant coaches exist on the staff but I doubt anyone that will get the job. I dont have a dog in the fight just buzzing on a message board based on what Ive heard. However I am sure the pay is lucrative so that may make the job appealing.

Well a natural move would be to drop to the lower division of D2 which Ive heard their has been discussion of forming 3 divisions. Winning is the key some kids are always going to say if we dont win then why bother. Facilities are great from what I have seen and it seems like the commitment to the weightroom is their by the school dont know about the kids or if they have an athletic period. So I guess what the admin needs to do is hire the right guy for the job. A new AD should make things intersting for this hire. One question I would ask is what is the schools goal for the football program?

Well a natural move would be to drop to the lower division of D2 which Ive heard their has been discussion of forming 3 divisions. Winning is the key some kids are always going to say if we dont win then why bother. Facilities are great from what I have seen and it seems like the commitment to the weightroom is their by the school dont know about the kids or if they have an athletic period. So I guess what the admin needs to do is hire the right guy for the job. A new AD should make things intersting for this hire. One question I would ask is what is the schools goal for the football program?

Could they play in DII-A? Are they choosing to play up like BGA was? (rumor is BGA is moving back down) If they are and they can move down, they are competitve immediately and that makes the job very attractive that with the more than likely lucritive pay.

Could they play in DII-A? Are they choosing to play up like BGA was? (rumor is BGA is moving back down) If they are and they can move down, they are competitve immediately and that makes the job very attractive that with the more than likely lucritive pay.

Hendersonville resident, life long football fan, been observing JPII since it was built and know some people in the school.

During the Golden Tate years, they played in small school private division, so competition was softer, even though they beat a few DII schools like MBA because of Tate. But ever since they were moved into DII, the school has struggled. JPII is the second biggest high school in the Nashville area--second only to Ryan. So it must play Division II level--TSSAA sets that; the school doesn't have an option unless it's small and wants to go up a division like BGA did.

My friends say the commitment to athletics is there--new field turf and renovated stadium, new track, new weight-room, new concessions/bathroom, a good weight-lifting coach and program. Best facilities in north Nashville hands down. Its just in a league that has some of the states best teams and those teams are better than JPII right now. Put 95% of the state's football teams in Division II and they'd be having the same problem.

Next coach is crucial--school needs a coach that can get all the athletes IN the school to play...agree with poster who said loyalties are divided--lacrosse, hockey, etc. If you look at their entire program, they obviously have some athletes there--baseball, basketball team, lacrosse, soccer, hockey teams all good. Don't think they're as far away from success as their recent records indicate.

Allow me to begin by saying that D2AA football is like small college football. All of the schools have good facilities, excellent coaching staffs, all the necessary equipment needed, etc... With that being said you are probably not going to "out coach" another school in that division but it is possible to "out work" some of the other schools. It is very much possible to work smarter than some of your competition. Some of the schools understand that having a successful football program translates into larger donations throughout that school year. Alumni, parents, grandparents, students, all like to see the schools name in the news media for being successful in both academics and athletics. While all of these schools have great academics you don't see the newspaper talking about how "Little Johnny" aced his SAT's but if that same "Little Johnny" scores three touchdowns against school X it will be talked about on the 10:00pm Friday evening news. Like the late Bear Bryant once said: You don't have 100,000 people showing up to watch a chemistry exam but they will show up every Saturday in the Fall to watch SEC football. Success is in the eye of the Board of Directors and the Administration of each individual school. Some schools feel that a successful season is going .500 while others feel that anything less than winning a state title is a poor season. If I were going to take the job I would get everything that I wanted and was promised in a contract before I ever committed to take the job. Once you take the job you have lost all of your negotiation power. If you have a written contract it is much more difficult for the school to back out of promised items and terminate you because you are pushing hard for various items.

Good luck to the next coach as the job will be difficult.

Edited by cbg

Allow me to begin by saying that D2AA football is like small college football. All of the schools have good facilities, excellent coaching staffs, all the necessary equipment needed, etc... With that being said you are probably not going to "out coach" another school in that division but it is possible to "out work" some of the other schools. It is very much possible to work smarter than some of your competition. Some of the schools understand that having a successful football program translates into larger donations throughout that school year. Alumni, parents, grandparents, students, all like to see the schools name in the news media for being successful in both academics and athletics. While all of these schools have great academics you don't see the newspaper talking about how "Little Johnny" aced his SAT's but if that same "Little Johnny" scores three touchdowns against school X it will be talked about on the 10:00pm Friday evening news. Like the late Bear Bryant once said: You don't have 100,000 people showing up to watch a chemistry exam but they will show up every Saturday in the Fall to watch SEC football. Success is in the eye of the Board of Directors and the Administration of each individual school. Some schools feel that a successful season is going .500 while others feel that anything less than winning a state title is a poor season. If I were going to take the job I would get everything that I wanted and was promised in a contract before I ever committed to take the job. Once you take the job you have lost all of your negotiation power. If you have a written contract it is much more difficult for the school to back out promised items and terminate you because you are pushing hard for various items.

Good luck to the next coach as the job will be difficult.

Interesting posts. Question I have is how many students go to school at JPII. More specifically how many boys? Also how many players were on the football roster?