Umpires make it difficult for powerhouse teams it seems

Softballghost

I have been to several tournaments and games this year and watched several umpires make it harder for teams like Riverdale, Beech, Goodpasture and a few other usually dominant teams. It seems the strike zone for these schools are smaller they have to pitch it right down the middle for a strike, forget about working corners, and when they are up to bat the strike zone expands. It is very biased. This is why you see the pitchers who should be dominating giving up hits to batters that should still be in rec league ball. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle. Its only hurting the teams who are getting the calls because when it gets closer to tournament time these biased umpires change the way of thinking. These teams still win because of thier dedication to excellence and will to win. You only make it more difficult for the teams who need to learn to hit against a good pitcher in the long run.

The problem I have with umpires they think they are god , they need to let the coaches and players play the game , and quit trying to be center of attention .if a coach ask a question and the umpire don't know the right answer they get mad and want to throw the coach out of the game .

I am not just bashing the umpires I am just saying watch the season unfold and if you get the chance view some of the dominant pitchers when they play a team that is not hitting and see if the strike zones are not different. I can't stand inconsistancy either, but seems like they give a girl who can't hit corners hit more of a semantage making her strike zone a mile wide. I am just saying give all the pitchers the same strike zone!

I have been to several tournaments and games this year and watched several umpires make it harder for teams like Riverdale, Beech, Goodpasture and a few other usually dominant teams. It seems the strike zone for these schools are smaller they have to pitch it right down the middle for a strike, forget about working corners, and when they are up to bat the strike zone expands. It is very biased. This is why you see the pitchers who should be dominating giving up hits to batters that should still be in rec league ball. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle. Its only hurting the teams who are getting the calls because when it gets closer to tournament time these biased umpires change the way of thinking. These teams still win because of thier dedication to excellence and will to win. You only make it more difficult for the teams who need to learn to hit against a good pitcher in the long run.

Disagree BIG time! Looks the same as when they used to give Devon Schmidt 2 balls outside. When our coach would complain or the crowd would get rowdy, the ump would adjust and guess what? We hit the ball! If you're good, bring it. If you ain't, quit whinin' and learn to. Dominant pitchers don't need help. Neither do dominant hitters, but the plate is there for a reason other than scoring, too.

How would you like to make $55.00 a game? TSSAA umps do. I understand umps are human and make mistakes, but they should be correct <97% of the time. My suggestion is the UIC of each area give coaches a report card each game to fill out on umps. Over a season, the high and low scores given by coaches would form a mean. From that data then umps would need to pay and attend classes based on their ability to obtain the minimum quality performance rating. If you are above average, you do not need to attend classes, but below average and you pay to get better. As a former player, ump, and coach I know a quality ump makes for less problems in a game, thus, the need for a rating system and quality control. Then very poor umps would be dropped from assignments.

Try playing as an underdog, from out of town, in Chattanooga against one of the traditionally strong teams. Or even in game where there's no clear favorite. You might get a different perspective.

Disagree BIG time! Looks the same as when they used to give Devon Schmidt 2 balls outside. When our coach would complain or the crowd would get rowdy, the ump would adjust and guess what? We hit the ball! If you're good, bring it. If you ain't, quit whinin' and learn to. Dominant pitchers don't need help. Neither do dominant hitters, but the plate is there for a reason other than scoring, too.

I saw Devon pitch a time or two, and I don't remember her needing much help from ANYBODY! I also don't remember many teams beating her, or even hitting her hard, even after the fans of said team starting their whining, which seemed to happen a lot more at some schools than others...and still does!

That's just it if your a good hitter you can hit inside, outside, rise or curve but if it's on the corner and you don't swing it still should be a strike. Alot of teams and coaches think if you got off a pitching machine at 60 mph you can hit off anyone, hence the reason your team can't hit a good pitcher. It takes countless hours of bp and paying for a good hitting instructor to teach a young lady to hit all the pitches, but it also takes years for these pitchers to learn to hit corners, throw certain pitches to certain batters, and its a shame when they get held to a different standard because your so called whining players can only hit a pitching machine ball. Call the pitches the same regardless if Monica Abbot pitches or little Suzie from some high school that is not dedicated to making players better pitches. The dominant teams still win because they can hit those crappy pitches some umpires call strikes, but those girls shouldn't have to swing at balls but if they don't backwards K. On the other hand little Suzie and her teammates get a walk because dominant pitchers Stike zone is a coffee can. Be consistant regardless its only going to make Suzie a better player, and who knows maybe one day she will play real ball, and be a real ball player.

I saw Devon pitch a time or two, and I don't remember her needing much help from ANYBODY! I also don't remember many teams beating her, or even hitting her hard, even after the fans of said team starting their whining, which seemed to happen a lot more at some schools than others...and still does!

What year did you graduate from Goodpasture? Saw her more than a time or two and never saw her beat ANYBODY by herself...

College sure has been a different story, though, hasn't it?

This pitcher must have been good that your talking about, because you wouldn't of brought her up. I am talking about pitchers now and the biased towards the teams that are not very good. It seems this pitcher from Goodpasture in the past probably beat your daughters team. Or you played in her team and didn't like that she was better than your daughter. Just my observation. Anyhow if you don't think it happens your obviuosly biased your self.

I have had daughters involved with softball since 1994 and have watched umpires all over the country, and the idea of bias is way overblown. The biggest problem is the parents trying to call balls and strikes from the stands. Sure umpires have some variation on their strike zone, sure some are weaker than others, but bias is highly unlikely. My daughters and their teammates were to adapt to the umpire, not whine about the strike zone.

I have had daughters involved with softball since 1994 and have watched umpires all over the country, and the idea of bias is way overblown. The biggest problem is the parents trying to call balls and strikes from the stands. Sure umpires have some variation on their strike zone, sure some are weaker than others, but bias is highly unlikely. My daughters and their teammates were to adapt to the umpire, not whine about the strike zone.

AMEN