Would you support a return to 5 classes in football

Indian

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a return to 5 classes in football

• Yes
    • No

Three state champions would be plenty and actually mean something.

There is simply no way that football will ever go back to three classifications.I do not understand the thinking that state championships today have no meaning. Ask Greenville, CAK, Maryville and whoever else won in 2011, do not believe that is what the schools, community or players think. Does the TSSAA need to fine tune the playoffs? They sure do. Should schools be penalized for playing a tough schedule and incurring more losses that a achool with an easier schedule? That needs to be changed. I think the whole playoff scheduled should be seeded more equitably across regions in order to reward teams with the best records and toughest schedules. Just got to get the best teams in the playoffs regardless of regional alignments.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 Classifications is much more sensable for Tennessee IF they make logical districts.

Hamilton County once worked the districts so that the student numbers made it possible to avoid most out of county travel. This forced teams who are natural competitors to Hamilton County schools to be placed in districts in Knoxville and Middle Tennessee. That was legal, but basically shafted close by schools over travel.

Make the districts reasonable in size limits AND travel, then 4 is good.

There is simply no way that football will ever go back to three classifications.I do not understand the thinking that state championships today have no meaning. Ask Greenville, CAK, Maryville and whoever else won in 2011, do not believe that is what the schools, community or players think. Does the TSSAA need to fine tune the playoffs? They sure do. Should schools be penalized for playing a tough schedule and incurring more losses that a achool with an easier schedule? That needs to be changed. I think the whole playoff scheduled should be seeded more equitably across regions in order to reward teams with the best records and toughest schedules. Just got to get the best teams in the playoffs regardless of regional alignments.

There is no way this state or any state needs 8 state championship teams. 3 in basketball seems to work. I am for no divisions and 3 classifications and that is it.I will also say that championships today do not have near the meaning they used to with just 3.

Why is it that the only 4 "areas" that are concerned with travel are the 4 major cities? Memphis (who actually gripes the least), Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga (who complains the most as it relates to travel)??!! You've never heard Dyersburg, Tullahoma, Munford, Jackson Northside or Sevier County complain about travel....why is it that the schools with 10+ other schools in the same county worry about travel?

There is no way this state or any state needs 8 state championship teams. 3 in basketball seems to work. I am for no divisions and 3 classifications and that is it.I will also say that championships today do not have near the meaning they used to with just 3.

I agree that 8 is entirely too many, but 3 classes would be ridiculously compacting the system. There is a competitive reason that the state expanded beyond 3 classes. Look at the difference between the largest AAA school and the smallest AAA school. Clarksville Northeast currently plays in 5A. Their enrollment just barely hovers around the 1000 mark (their latest numbers are actually slightly below 1000), meanwhile you have some of the Rutherford County schools with consistent enrollments that exceed 2000 students. Do those schools really need to be competing in the same class? I don't think so, but you're entitled to your opinion. I think 4 classes would be just fine, and would compact the system just enough to keep it from being watered down without over-doing it.

Well it has been interesting to follow this thread. I am intrigued by the responses. Good luck getting anything changed. We do have to many classes for football. But I would always be infavor of keeping D1 nad D2 seperate. There are different rules that each has to abide by and there is no equity. A school that does not have to take kids that live in a geographic zone, but can cherry pick the ones they want has an unfair advantage over schools that have to take the kids zoned strictly to them. There is no way to spin this to justify putting everyone back together. The schools that can give grants are very good and have great programs but are not playing by the same rules that the public schools have to go by.

Well it has been interesting to follow this thread. I am intrigued by the responses. Good luck getting anything changed. We do have to many classes for football. But I would always be infavor of keeping D1 nad D2 seperate. There are different rules that each has to abide by and there is no equity. A school that does not have to take kids that live in a geographic zone, but can cherry pick the ones they want has an unfair advantage over schools that have to take the kids zoned strictly to them. There is no way to spin this to justify putting everyone back together. The schools that can give grants are very good and have great programs but are not playing by the same rules that the public schools have to go by.

Yes it is interesting. And surprised to see so many really looking to reduce the number of classes. Especially to 4. I thought I would really be in a minority on that.