BEARDEN HS BASEBALL

Vols1234

I know this is only boarder line on topic but I think Coach Rice would be a great addition to any program. Before I go any farther, I'm in no way connected to Karns or Coach Rice. I actually don't really like Karns that much, but that's a different topic.

I can see how he might not be for everyone and might even rub some people the wrong way, but I think he's one heck of a coach - one of the top 3-4 in his district. His team may not win the district year in and year out but I think he does a great job with what he has to work with. Lets not forget that a large number of these HVA kids that are being talked about on other posts would actually have attended Karns if it wasn't for the still newly formed HVA. Yeah they pull from other places too, but a majority of those kids would be at Karns. If that was the case then his squad would look a whole lot better and magically he'd be a lot better coach in the eyes of most fans.

I'm not taking anything away from Coach R at HVA but lets be honest, a lot of HS sports has a lot to do with Jimmys and Joes. Coaches help but if you don't have the horses, you aren't getting very far in these two districts.

I also don't blame Coach Rice for trying to get out of Karns (if he did apply, I don't know that for a fact so I won't speak to it). It's going to be a long time before Karns is competitive again now that HVA has made such a name for itself.

You all may think I'm crazy but I think you could do a lot worse than Coach Rice.

I know this is only boarder line on topic but I think Coach Rice would be a great addition to any program. Before I go any farther, I'm in no way connected to Karns or Coach Rice. I actually don't really like Karns that much, but that's a different topic.

I can see how he might not be for everyone and might even rub some people the wrong way, but I think he's one heck of a coach - one of the top 3-4 in his district. His team may not win the district year in and year out but I think he does a great job with what he has to work with. Lets not forget that a large number of these HVA kids that are being talked about on other posts would actually have attended Karns if it wasn't for the still newly formed HVA. Yeah they pull from other places too, but a majority of those kids would be at Karns. If that was the case then his squad would look a whole lot better and magically he'd be a lot better coach in the eyes of most fans.

I'm not taking anything away from Coach R at HVA but lets be honest, a lot of HS sports has a lot to do with Jimmys and Joes. Coaches help but if you don't have the horses, you aren't getting very far in these two districts.

I also don't blame Coach Rice for trying to get out of Karns (if he did apply, I don't know that for a fact so I won't speak to it). It's going to be a long time before Karns is competitive again now that HVA has made such a name for itself.

You all may think I'm crazy but I think you could do a lot worse than Coach Rice.

Good post...I think we will know soon after Bearden is out of the district tournament. They would have to win two tough games today. We may know by Friday or Monday.

Edited by Soxfan1

Ok. I have to chime in on this even though it does not have much to do with the Bearden job. I disagree with your post that Coach Rice would be a good fit at Bearden. You have stated in this post that he lost talent to Hardin Valley and that is the reason his teams are not competing as well in the district. I agree they have lost some talent to HV but I can assure you that HV is not even close to being one of the top 2 talented teams in that district but yet somehow they are in the championship game again. Anyway I will get to the point. Why do you think those kids with talent CHOSE to go to Hardin Valley? I am sure the response will be that is where they are zoned but we all know if they WANTED to play for Karns they could have. Sooooooo.... If kids are leaving Karns to go down the road what makes anyone think that Bearden kids won't do the same thing?? Also can't agree that he is a top 3-4 coach in that district. Again I am off subject here but you have:

Rentiger (Seems to get every bit of talent out of his teams)

Polston (Never seems to underachieve)

Froning (Seems to always have his team ready to make a run)

Downs (Dealt with sooo many injuries the past couple seasons but stays very competitive)

Taylor (OVERACHIEVES every year it seems like)

So Rice at 6th maybe???

Enman (Just not sure why this team doesn't compete better)

The guys at Central and Campbell I have no idea.

One has to remember that it is more than just who the "best on the field" candidate may be. The choice has to be able to meet the certification of available teaching positions and be in a position with his family to make the move, if he is coming from out of town. There are a whole lot more issues than just picking the "best" coach for the job.

That said, I have heard Rice's name mentioned through out the process. It wouldn't surprise me to see him named the Bearden coach because he fits the criteria that seems to be in place. As a Bearden baseball alum, I want to see the best hire made, but I am also realistic about whom they are going to be able to hire.

I to have heard from people that Rice has been offered the job at Bearden. That is weird considering Rice teaches English at Karns and the only opening Bearden has is P.E. I had heard that a decision would be announced today but im not sure now considering Bearden will be advancing to at least Monday.

I to have heard from people that Rice has been offered the job at Bearden. That is weird considering Rice teaches English at Karns and the only opening Bearden has is P.E. I had heard that a decision would be announced today but im not sure now considering Bearden will be advancing to at least Monday.

Yeah, he does teach English. I wonder if there will be a retirement in that department? As long as Bearden is playing, they will not announce anything.

I've been told its a done deal for some reason they are getting the coach from Central

Just a few hours ago you were saying it was going to be the Jeff county coach and now you are saying its going to be the central coach. Sounds like you know about as much as everyone else on this board

That would be a very, very bad hire.

I have to say this is ridiculous. I myself played for Coach Warner and while I would hate to see him leave Jeff. Co., Bearden couldn't get a better coach. He taught us how to be good baseball players and even more importantly good people. He prepares his players for every situation and how to play at the next level. If it weren't for his preparation, I would have never made it this year in college. He has come in and won 60 games in the first two years, changed the face of the field and facilities, and has changed the program for the better. Not many coaches have accomplished so much in a short time. He will be a great asset to whatever program he is a part of. Just sayin.