Howard "Grandaddy" Gamble

Franklin High School has lost one of its most legendary coaches this past weekend. Grandaddy passed away on Saturday at the age of 84. He has touched the lives of many young men and women who have walked through the halls of Franklin. If any of you have played Franklin you would know him by his suspenders and straw hat!! There are certainly no words to explain how much this man has meant to this community.

Thoughts and prayers for his family and those closest to him.

Franklin High School has lost one of its most legendary coaches this past weekend. Grandaddy passed away on Saturday at the age of 84. He has touched the lives of many young men and women who have walked through the halls of Franklin. If any of you have played Franklin you would know him by his suspenders and straw hat!! There are certainly no words to explain how much this man has meant to this community.

Thoughts and prayers for his family and those closest to him.

Coach Gamble played his high school football at Springfield for legendary Coach Boyce Smith, he was a member of the unbeaten Mid-State Champion Yellow Jacket team of 1943. Had the priviledge of meeting him sevaral years ago, a very nice gentleman. Prayers to his family.

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of Coach. I saw him last week driving away in his pick-up and thought "I'm gonna miss that guy when he's gone". I would always seek him out when I'm was working at FHS. I would ask him about Haylong High School in Mt Pleasant and he would tell me about getting that bad knee replaced. I can truly say that I love that man. He always had a smile on his face and always made me feel right at home.

Thank you coach for all you have given!

And from mykidsdad to Howard Gamble, you will be missed my friend, you will be missed. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

Coach Gamble played his high school football at Springfield for legendary Coach Boyce Smith, he was a member of the unbeaten Mid-State Champion Yellow Jacket team of 1943. Had the priviledge of meeting him sevaral years ago, a very nice gentleman. Prayers to his family.

He used to tell us at practice all the time about that team. He would tell us how they scored a point a minute that season!

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of Coach. I saw him last week driving away in his pick-up and thought "I'm gonna miss that guy when he's gone". I would always seek him out when I'm was working at FHS. I would ask him about Haylong High School in Mt Pleasant and he would tell me about getting that bad knee replaced. I can truly say that I love that man. He always had a smile on his face and always made me feel right home.

Thank you coach for all you have given!

And from mykidsdad to Howard Gamble, you will be missed my friend, you will be missed. :popcorneater:

One of the best things about Granddaddy was his smile! There was never one person who he wouldn't stop and talk to and make them walk away feeling better about their day!

A great individual, will be missed badly. Remember my short stint in coaching track at FHS, he would always have something good to say before we went out to practice. Remember the spring I helped Coach Clayton, before I went to Coffee, Coach Gamble and I talked frequently about old times, good times, and he always had a good story to tell about being around football. My regards and sympathy. Coach Bob 1.