Who Won't Be Advancing

BarcaFan

There have been some unbelievable turns of events with regard to the state tournament this year. Some of the biggest dogs will not be a part of the event which leaves some interesting scenarios for some teams on the cusp of greatness. I'd just like to hear any thoughts especially about your own districts and how you see the state tourney evolving.

As always Farragut not in the state tournament is a big event which only seems plausible because they had to go through Bearden to get there this year. Turnabout is fairplay...if I remember correctly Bearden lost this game a year ago so congratulations to the Bulldogs for stepping up when it counted.

Maryville over Knox Catholic seemed an even more daunting task but despite some close losses Maryville found a way to play big against perhaps the top team in the state going in.

I have seen Independence play this year and know they are a good side and any undefeated team always seems ripe for the picking once district tournament play begins thus Brentwood for whatever reason will not be the player I personally thought had one of the best chances at winning state this year.

Interestingly enough this clears the way for not only the teams that won these particular games but also teams like Ooltewah, Houston, Franklin, and perhaps even the little known Dickson County.

The question now is...is the best team in state not in AAA this year. I wonder what CAK thinks?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some unbelievable turns of events with regard to the state tournament this year. Some of the biggest dogs will not be a part of the event which leaves some interesting scenarios for some teams on the cusp of greatness. I'd just like to hear any thoughts especially about your own districts and how you see the state tourney evolving.

As always Farragut not in the state tournament is a big event which only seems plausible because they had to go through Bearden to get there this year. Turnabout is fairplay...if I remember correctly Bearden lost this game a year ago so congratulations to the Bulldogs for stepping up when it counted.

Maryville over Knox Catholic seemed an even more daunting task but despite some close losses Maryville found a way to play big against perhaps the top team in the state going in.

I have seen Independence play this year and know they are a good side and any undefeated team always seems ripe for the picking once district tournament play begins thus Brentwood for whatever reason will not be the player I personally thought had one of the best chances at winning state this year.

According to the Tennessean, Brentwood advances to the Regional tournament as the regular season winner: "Fifth-seeded Independence (10-7-1) will play defending champion Ravenwood (13-2-4), a 2-0 winner over Franklin, in the championship at 7 p.m. today. The winner earns a Region 6-AAA berth. Brentwood is already in after winning the regular-season title."

Edited by zizoufan

this clears the way for not only the teams that won these particular games but also teams like Ooltewah, Houston, Franklin, and perhaps even the little known Dickson County.

Not Franklin...Ravenwood knocked them out last night, 2-0. An interesting upset was a strong Nashville Overton losing to Antioch 3-0. This State Tournament will likely be wide open!

Edited by TheFactsOnly

According to the Tennessean, Brentwood advances to the Regional tournament as the regular season winner: "Fifth-seeded Independence (10-7-1) will play defending champion Ravenwood (13-2-4), a 2-0 winner over Franklin, in the championship at 7 p.m. today. The winner earns a Region 6-AAA berth. Brentwood is already in after winning the regular-season title."

I have never heard of this ruling and I have been near their district for years. The TSSAA tournament brackets have listed district winner and district runner-up advancing. Also the TSSAA Handbook makes no such mention of this type of "special treatment". It seems to me if this was true then Brentwood would have been excluded from even playing in the district tournament. I would love a proper explanation if this indeed comes to pass.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/soccer.pdf

II. DISTRICT AND REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS

A. All tournament play shall be single elimination in Division I and Division II.

B. In Division I, tournament play shall begin at the district level if both districts in the region have three or more

teams. If not, tournament play shall begin at the region level with a tournament for all schools in the region.

C. In Division I district play, the district winner and runner-up teams shall advance to the regional tournament.

Since each district sends two teams to the regional tournament, the Board of Control has approved a set

bracket for tournament play as shown below:

Top Bracket Bottom Bracket

Winner District 1 Winner District 2

Runner-Up District 2 Runner-Up District 1

Not Franklin...Ravenwood knocked them out last night, 2-0. An interesting upset was a strong Nashville Overton losing to Antioch 3-0. This State Tournament will likely be wide open!

Sorry...I did mean Ravenwood and not Franklin. Error due to brain fart as a result of too many headers and too many years on this body.

I have never heard of this ruling and I have been near their district for years. The TSSAA tournament brackets have listed district winner and district runner-up advancing. Also the TSSAA Handbook makes no such mention of this type of "special treatment". It seems to me if this was true then Brentwood would have been excluded from even playing in the district tournament. I would love a proper explanation if this indeed comes to pass.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/soccer.pdf

II. DISTRICT AND REGIONAL TOURNAMENTS

A. All tournament play shall be single elimination in Division I and Division II.

B. In Division I, tournament play shall begin at the district level if both districts in the region have three or more

teams. If not, tournament play shall begin at the region level with a tournament for all schools in the region.

C. In Division I district play, the district winner and runner-up teams shall advance to the regional tournament.

Since each district sends two teams to the regional tournament, the Board of Control has approved a set

bracket for tournament play as shown below:

Top Bracket Bottom Bracket

Winner District 1 Winner District 2

Runner-Up District 2 Runner-Up District 1

I believe it has to do with their area not having enough teams. There is an automatic berth into regions because of this. It happens in A/AA, too, from the far west districts.

There is always great soccer in AAA District 4. Unfortunately only two get to go on each year. With that I would like to congratulate West, Catholic and Farragut for completing great seasons. As to Bearden and Maryville good luck in your push for State. Anything can happen, just ask the incredible Farragut Class of 2010! I loved to watch that team play.

I believe it has to do with their area not having enough teams. There is an automatic berth into regions because of this. It happens in A/AA, too, from the far west districts.

[/q

Their district has the same number of teams as District 7AAA, six, and we don't give the district champ an automatic berth. I don't think district 6AAA does either and they only have five teams.

Edited by sportsfan15

This from one of the district coaches:

We voted last year to change the bi-laws of our District.

1st seed in the REGULAR SEASON (this year Brentwood) gets an automatic bid into the region.

If the 1st seed doesn't make it to the District Finals (which has now happened) they will still advance to Regions, but they will be the #2 seed.

Winner of the District Tournament will be the #1.

This from one of the district coaches:

We voted last year to change the bi-laws of our District.

1st seed in the REGULAR SEASON (this year Brentwood) gets an automatic bid into the region.

If the 1st seed doesn't make it to the District Finals (which has now happened) they will still advance to Regions, but they will be the #2 seed.

Winner of the District Tournament will be the #1.

That sounds like that should settle the question. Still not sure why they would do that in light of TSSAA and all the other districts. It would be interesting to know the reason for making that decision. The only value I can see in it is that if a team in the same position as Brentwood's this year has a bad game they get a second chance. I bet teams like Farragut and Knox Catholic would like that arrangement right about now.

I think this is a great way to make sure the two best teams advance. The team that wins the regular season has shown they are consistent with being a good side. One bad game shouldn't stop the best team from representing their district in the Region and State tournament.

I think this is a great way to make sure the two best teams advance. The team that wins the regular season has shown they are consistent with being a good side. One bad game shouldn't stop the best team from representing their district in the Region and State tournament.

If that's the case, can the District Tournament and send the number one and two teams from the regular season. The TSSAA needs "one" set of rules for the State Tournament. Independence, Antioch/Cane Ridge, Knox Catholic and more are being affected by one district's new set of rules.

You are wrong...one bad game - in District Semis, Region Semis, or Sectional SHOULD stop the best team from advancing to State. It has happened many times over the years. In fact, most states have single elimination all the way through the tournament.