Umpiring Question

ibball44

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a coach brought out a rule book to show the umpire the correct ruling what would you do as an umpire?

In my opinion, the umpire sacks up and gets the rule right. Thats why they are out there. Admit you did not know the rule and get the call correct. Dont ruin another team shot because you are shooting off the cuff and misapply a rule.

In my opinion, the umpire sacks up and gets the rule right. Thats why they are out there. Admit you did not know the rule and get the call correct. Dont ruin another team shot because you are shooting off the cuff and misapply a rule.

I agree. If a call is blown and can be corrected then correct it. Umps miss calls and sometimes (many times) it does indirectly change the outcome of the game.

On a seperate note my son was playing basketball in the region tourney this past year and a ref was making a call under the basket and while doing that another player ran into my son away from the play and flopped (official making 2 calls at the same time). My son was not moving and had his hands down as to take a charge (film to prove it) from the player who flopped and was called for a flagrant foul and ejected from the game. He had to set the next game out and will have to sit out game 1 this next year. My point here is the official blew the call (it is on film) coaches and other school officials said should not have been a foul called period. They contacted TSSAA about the call but it can't be overturned. Here is the thing, if officials can review a bench clearing fight and punish players & coaches after it is all over why not fix a blown call as well?

Just get it right.

EVERY association in the state of Tennessee is looking for more officials.

Join.

And better I hope. Strike zone this season was way out of line by most. We had a few that got it right. Is there any provision for them to get any extra $$ if a game goes longer with, say 10 innings? The outcome and effect on a game can be determined easily if an ump justs quits... literrally.

And better I hope. Strike zone this season was way out of line by most. We had a few that got it right. Is there any provision for them to get any extra $$ if a game goes longer with, say 10 innings? The outcome and effect on a game can be determined easily if an ump justs quits... literrally.

I have no idea what the highlighted area means.

brining a rule book on the field would be showing the umpire up and should be cause for ejection immediately. How would the coach feel if an umpire brought over a guide to coaching book and showed him where he messed up by brining in the infield at the wrong time or giving the steal signal at the wrong time. I imagine he'd be pretty upset. I'd like for someone to write a guide to being a parent of a high school athlete and show the crazies how to properly conduct themselves at a game and how to just GET OVER IT! It's a game, nothing more, nothing less. And like the catsbackr said, EVERY ASSOCIATION IS SHAKING THE UMPIRE TREE ALL THE TIME FOR MORE UMPIRES! If you think the umpires are bad in your area, join them and do something to change that. Maybe if they had some these great "bleacher umps" they wouldn't have to use these lousy "willing and able umpires" that don't know the rules and apparently don't care.

<br />brining a rule book on the field would be showing the umpire up and should be cause for ejection immediately. How would the coach feel if an umpire brought over a guide to coaching book and showed him where he messed up by brining in the infield at the wrong time or giving the steal signal at the wrong time. I imagine he'd be pretty upset. I'd like for someone to write a guide to being a parent of a high school athlete and show the crazies how to properly conduct themselves at a game and how to just GET OVER IT! It's a game, nothing more, nothing less. And like the catsbackr said, EVERY ASSOCIATION IS SHAKING THE UMPIRE TREE ALL THE TIME FOR MORE UMPIRES! If you think the umpires are bad in your area, join them and do something to change that. Maybe if they had some these great "bleacher umps" they wouldn't have to use these lousy "willing and able umpires" that don't know the rules and apparently don't care.<br />

Only time I ever brought a rule book out was if there was a question of how a rule should be inforced. We don't argue balls and strikes or outs with a rule book. If you have an incorrect ruling, such as the foul ball that started this thread, then I hate it if you get some pie in your face for being corrected. I'd rather the game be determined by the players rather than risking a little embarrassment at your expense! Bottom line, know the rules and it would never be an issue!

Only time I ever brought a rule book out was if there was a question of how a rule should be inforced. We don't argue balls and strikes or outs with a rule book. If you have an incorrect ruling, such as the foul ball that started this thread, then I hate it if you get some pie in your face for being corrected. I'd rather the game be determined by the players rather than risking a little embarrassment at your expense! Bottom line, know the rules and it would never be an issue!

Amen!!!

I've only seen a coach bring a rulebook out on the field once, and he was promptly confined to the dugout. I would do the exact same thing if I was presented with that situation. By bringing a rulebook out on the field, you are not only underminding his athority over the game (which once the first pitch is thrown, he has COMPLETE athority over the game), but you are showing him up in front of his partner, both teams, and the fans. If an umpire went out of his way to show up a coach, he gets berated by fans at the game, chastised on message boards like this, and gets reported to the TSSAA. But (from what your saying) its ok for a coach to show up an umpire? Its a two way street..

Have the rulebook in the dugout. Memorize it word for word and then go out there and recite it for me. I have absolutely no problem with that. But do not bring the rulebook on the field.