Soddy Daisy's Coach Steve Henry resigns!

wvhswrestling

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/may/23/soddy-daisy-wrestling-coach-steve-henry-resigns/?breakingnews

Steve Henry, wrestling coach at Soddy-Daisy since 1983, has resigned. He met with the team this morning to inform them of his decision.

The popular coach, who became an innovator and a leader in wrestling circles across the state and the region, had rebuked overtures to enter the administrator’s field for the last several years but was finally persuaded to take that step beginning in June. He is expected to begin his new career as an assistant to Soddy-Daisy principal John Maynard.

The Trojans had just two losing campaigns in Henry’s 27 seasons, his first in 1983 and then three years ago. His best season records were a 30-win campaign in 2006 and a 22-1 performance in 2007.

During his tenure, Soddy-Daisy won four traditional state titles and finished runner-up five times. The Trojans also captured four duals team championships with four runners-up trophies and one third-place finish.

Henry coached 35 state champions and got his first four-time state winner and his first outstanding wrestler this past season in Campbell Lewis.

For more on this story see Thursday’s editions of the Times Free Press.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765.

Coach Henry,

Sad to see you go. You have done an outstanding job at Soddy Daisy and certainly helped raise the bar on our great sport.

I wish you nothing but the best with your next challenge; however, I hope that you still come to the matches and make your presence known. It will be like an empty hole when looking down at the bench and not seeing you on the sidelines pushing those young men. If you are half the man in your new job as Assistant to the Principal as you were with the wrestling program, Soddy Daisy High School will be the biggest benefactor.

You will be missed.

Edited by hoosierdad

Coach Henry,

The wrestling world will truly miss you, but I would like to congratulate you on one amazing run! Best wishes to you and your family from your friends in Middle TN. We will miss competing against you and your talented teams you always put together. True class act and a great role model for the boys.

-nashwrestling :thumb:

Just wanted to say thanks to the best Soddy By God coach for all he has given to this sport..

His success with their program is unmatched, and will be a difficult job for the next coach to live up to..

So Coach Ashley Brooks, you will be..

My neighbor next door: sweetie, it's not coach brooks who is retiring its coach Henry ...

Bcb: Henry?

Mnnd: yes, you remember he lead his team to the title of greatest team in tenn this year....

Bcb: darn I thought he retired 4 years ago... Well it looks like I owe Coach Henry an apology , good luck to you Coach Stan Henry in your next endeavor ...

Mnnd: it's Steve

Bcb: tell him I'm busy

Bcb iii

What did I miss?! Eric is out at Cleveland?

Eric retires in a couple of years but Cleve wanted to keep Yost, name him as future head coach and let him step in and that way not lose him to SD now

Trojans will most likely name a coach next week

b.b. branton

Eric retires in a couple of years but Cleve wanted to keep Yost, name him as future head coach and let him step in and that way not lose him to SD now

Trojans will most likely name a coach next week

b.b. branton

Wow did not see that coming. I read the on line article in the Banner and it looks like Coach Phillips wants to make sure Cleveland is good shape for a long time, and with Yost and Boskin it looks like they will be. Seems like a changing of the guard in the last few years with new coaches at Baylor two years ago (and Schaack retiring this year) and Bradley last year and now at Soddy and Cleveland.