Revised Powers-Limbaugh plan - what do you think?

davidlimbaugh

crazy cowboy and tradertwo

Baseball is a SERIES sport. Our state is the only one around that doesn't seem to know that.

Baseball should never be about the 'best team on a given day'. It should always be about a team's depth at pitching. There is a reason MLB has been a series since its inception. There is a reason college baseball is a game of brackets and series. There is a reason Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky high school baseball is a bracket of series.

You two may disagree but I can guarantee you most baseball people agree with me.

Not saying I'm right so you're wrong,but the topic title includes the phrase"what do you think?".Most people on the planet agree with the Koran...I'll form my own opinions.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying I'm right so you're wrong,but the topic title includes the phrase"what do you think?".Most people on the planet agree with the Koran...I'll form my own opinions.

I agree with ya's right to your opinions :flower:

But I have to try to convert ya over to my side. :D

Like Democrats and Republicans or Tennessee and Alabama fans - no right or wrong - just my side and your side. :P

Edited by davidlimbaugh

I would like to see more of an emphasis put on the regular season. Take the top 4 from each district to Regional Tournament. Let odd districts 1 and 3 play at their district champ along with even districts 2 and 4 and vice versus even districts 1 and 3 hosts odd 2 and 4 at even district champ. Each pool will play a double elimination pool. Then the two winners would play a three series with both going to sectionals for a three game series.

Example

Region 4

Friday

District 8 #1 vs District 7 #4

District 7 #2 vs District 8 #3

District 7 #1 vs District 8 #4

District 8 #2 vs District 7 #3

Saturday

Winners Bracket Finals

Losers Bracket Game #1

Monday

Losers Brackets Finals

Game #1 Championship

Tuesday

Game #2 Championship if necessary

Thursday Friday Saturday Regional Championship series

Wednesday Thursday Friday Sectional Series

Winners advance to state tournament

TSSAA is going to frown on this because they will say too much travel. And they love the district tournament$ a$ they are....

I would like to see more of an emphasis put on the regular season. Take the top 4 from each district to Regional Tournament. Let odd districts 1 and 3 play at their district champ along with even districts 2 and 4 and vice versus even districts 1 and 3 hosts odd 2 and 4 at even district champ. Each pool will play a double elimination pool. Then the two winners would play a three series with both going to sectionals for a three game series.

Example

Region 4

Friday

District 8 #1 vs District 7 #4

District 7 #2 vs District 8 #3

District 7 #1 vs District 8 #4

District 8 #2 vs District 7 #3

Saturday

Winners Bracket Finals

Losers Bracket Game #1

Monday

Losers Brackets Finals

Game #1 Championship

Tuesday

Game #2 Championship if necessary

Thursday Friday Saturday Regional Championship series

Wednesday Thursday Friday Sectional Series

Winners advance to state tournament

I agree with ya's right to your opinions :flower:

But I have to try to convert ya over to my side. :D

Like Democrats and Republicans or Tennessee and Alabama fans - no right or wrong - just my side and your side. :P

Not quite sure if they disagree with the fact that baseball is a series sport or the other states do it that way??? Or just want to ride that arm to the top, after all it's a team sport. It's a good plan, just getting T$$AA to see it is a whole different bag of worms.

I think most folks that like the current system have benefitted from riding one arm to the top and don't care to see what might be if they had to have 2 or 3 arms. Decatur Riverside is the exception rather than the rule. They win state either way in A ball. The odds of another A team having 2 or 3 arms is exponentially less than a AAA team having 2 or 3 arms. It's just math. A rural public A school won't have that kind of pitching most years.

I think baseball in general is a game designed for series and long regular seasons that mean something. I would be against putting 4 teams from every district in the regions. They have a district tournament. It doesn't make alot of sense in basketball or football to be honest other than to send as many as we can to make as much $$$ as we can. Then in baseball we do the opposite and have a one and done game that is only to reduce the field by some means and a seeding game that nobody cares about. We'd be better off to have a 16 team state tournament than to go through the regions/substate week that we have now. At least some semblance of pool play or double elimination at the region level to get the best teams there. Then let's see who the best TEAMS are.

No other level of baseball does it the way that Tennessee high school does it from Little League/Cal Ripken to MLB. I'm sure we don't have the market cornered on the best method. It's just an easier or more convenient method or we're too stubborn to change. Really, I think it's apathy at the TSSAA office.

quote: I would be against putting 4 teams from every district in the regions. They have a district tournament. :end quote

I agree. The Powers-Limbaugh plan does what already takes place, takes the champion and runner-up from each district. A district champion, depending on year, hosts the region. A lot better environment for the post-season. Everyone can see everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I think most folks that like the current system have benefitted from riding one arm to the top and don't care to see what might be if they had to have 2 or 3 arms. Decatur Riverside is the exception rather than the rule. They win state either way in A ball. The odds of another A team having 2 or 3 arms is exponentially less than a AAA team having 2 or 3 arms. It's just math. A rural public A school won't have that kind of pitching most years.

I think baseball in general is a game designed for series and long regular seasons that mean something. I would be against putting 4 teams from every district in the regions. They have a district tournament. It doesn't make alot of sense in basketball or football to be honest other than to send as many as we can to make as much $$$ as we can. Then in baseball we do the opposite and have a one and done game that is only to reduce the field by some means and a seeding game that nobody cares about. We'd be better off to have a 16 team state tournament than to go through the regions/substate week that we have now. At least some semblance of pool play or double elimination at the region level to get the best teams there. Then let's see who the best TEAMS are.

No other level of baseball does it the way that Tennessee high school does it from Little League/Cal Ripken to MLB. I'm sure we don't have the market cornered on the best method. It's just an easier or more convenient method or we're too stubborn to change. Really, I think it's apathy at the TSSAA office.

I feel that you must beat the team in the other dugout and advance,or lose and accept the consequences.Too often it's some uncontrollable circumstance befalling the"better"team causing them to lose(from their own point of view).If the manager can manipulate his roster to improve the odds of a win on gameday without making his team vulnerable the next day,he's doing his job well.A great arm on a mediocre team is an asset,but will be exposed before the tourney is over,and a championship is not realistic for such a team.A 'couple of seasons past Scotts Hill finished second in 15A to Riverside,playing them tough in all but one game in the reg. season,and taking one game from them(one of two losses all year for them if memory serves).The regular season mattered as they were seeded second in tournament pairings,but fell to Adamsville and were eliminated.Weather played a role as rainouts forced the game to be played the afternoon of the senior laden teams graduation ceremony,and the principal had informed the players that "no one will recieve a diploma who doesen't walk the aisle".Taking into consideration the scores against district champ Riverside,the fact that Riverside was not challenged at all at spring fling,the graduation drama,and the fact that Adamsville went on to be one out away from facing the Panthers in the state c'ship after being swept by Scotts Hill and finishing 4'th in the15A regular season,the arguement could be made that the second best team in single A ball didn't get a fair chance...but they did.Scotts Hill did not win the game required to advance,for whatever reason,end of story,no excuses.For two and a'half seasons Riverside had to endure hearing the "one great arm" theory preached as the reason for their success,until a great tragedy forced them to prove it false.There is no scenerio,no system,no format that would guarantee the "best" team wins (thank God) every game.Bring your best every gameday,and may the best team (ON THAT DAY) win!