best team (freshman)

Guest jonnybravo1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by FormerCav:

I'm not trying to take anything at all away from Chester County's freshman success...

Don't worry about that. I don't think you did. Success at the junior high and/or freshman level doesn't necessarily translate into success at the varsity level. Besides, if I know Coach Pratt, his future teams will be just fine.

Also, I appreciate your wishes for Chester County's improvement. A lot of us are pulling for the Cavs :o

Posted by tnhooper45:

What about Lexington's freshman? They are 7-1 beating Mckenzie, Riverside, Adamsville, Grove, Crockett Co., Chester Co., and McNairy.

I thought Chester had lost one game... so it was Lexington who beat them.

I tell you what... Lexington has a lot of talent down there in the 8th-10th grades. I would not at all be surprised to see them in the thick of things in region 6-3A over the next few years.

Early in the freshman season, Chester County lost in a well played game to Hardin County (Chester County is 2A and Hardin County is 4A). Just last week they lost to Lexington (3A) in what had to be the most bizarre ending to a football game that I've ever seen. With about two minutes left in the game and the ball at midfield, Chester County decided to punt to Lexington. Chester County led 7 - 6 and their defense had stuffed Lexington all night (Lexington's lone touchdown was on a blown pass coverage on a fourth down play). The snap to the punter went over his head and he raced back to pick the ball up. He could have fallen on it, picked it up and run as far upfield as he could, or even turned around and kicked it. He had plenty of time due to no serious rush from Lexington. However, he picked the ball up on about the 30 yard line and punted it back through his own endzone! This was a safety and made the score 8 to 7. I can't blame the kid, however, since he thought he was doing what he had been told to do. In the Hardin County game he lost a snap that was recovered for a touchdown. The coaches told him that he should have thrown, kicked, whatever to get the ball out of the endzone for a safety. When this happened at Lexington he thought he was supposed to do just that. The coaches hadn't told him that he should do this only when he was in the endzone (or very close to it) and certainly not in a situation that would lose the lead for your team late in the game. I can't really blame the coaches either since Chester County only has 5 coaches and they must devote their time and energy to the varsity team.

In the worst possible case, if he had fallen on the ball, Lexington would have had to move the ball in from the 30 yard line (they didn't appear to have a kicker that could make a field goal) with less than two minutes to go. Since they hadn't moved the ball at all in the second half, I believe Chester County would have held on for the win (but if a frog had wings, ...).

In short, Chester County's freshmen have played well against competition from 4A and 3A schools (as an earlier poster indicated, they also scrimmaged well against 5A JCM's freshman team early in the season). The future is bright for the Eagles if, as an earlier post stated, the coaching staff can figure out a way to keep the kids playing football. This will not be an easy task in a school where football is not viewed favorably by many people.

Just for everybody's info, if they want to see some good freshman teams, there is a bowl game this thursday at Tullahoma High School, I believe the first of two games is at 4:30 and it is Columbia vs. North(franklin co.)...and the later game is at 7:00 it is Hendersonville vs. Riverdale.

Guest Blazerback04

Blackmanis the best freshman team. We may not have won a few games but weare the best team we just dont play as a team. I'll say tha we got crushed in a whole lot of games bu i still think that we have somuch potential. We arethe mot physical hardworking team u could ever se but we dont so what we cant do in games. That's all i have to say about that and if you ae a problem with it im me at sportsfeverjc.