Murvull, Catholic, & Grace

SF1966

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regular cleats.

Let's include Science Hill, D-B, Greeneville, The Mo-Town Teams, Baylor and McCallie. I think that's it for East Tennessee.

When was turf installed at Burke-Toney (hope that's the name of the Morristown field and I'm not confusing it with Carson Newman's stadium)?

When was turf installed at Burke-Toney (hope that's the name of the Morristown field and I'm not confusing it with Carson Newman's stadium)?

Turf was installed at Burke-Toney in 2007 after Mo West had to play all of its home playoff games at Carson-Newman because the grass at B-T was pretty much gone. It just didn't make sense to have grass on a field shared by 2 high schools and 4 middle schools.

Turf was installed at Burke-Toney in 2007 after Mo West had to play all of its home playoff games at Carson-Newman because the grass at B-T was pretty much gone. It just didn't make sense to have grass on a field shared by 2 high schools and 4 middle schools.

Thanks, I didn't realize it had been that long since I had seen a game there.

I think Rhea County is installing turf for the same reason, the overuse factor..

I sat through as miserable a game as I have ever sat through at Burke- Toney. It was weather related and the powers that be had to work hard to get the field playable.

Thanks, I didn't realize it had been that long since I had seen a game there.

I think Rhea County is installing turf for the same reason, the overuse factor..

I sat through as miserable a game as I have ever sat through at Burke- Toney. It was weather related and the powers that be had to work hard to get the field playable.

Those days are over in Morristown, they have really turned Burke-Toney into a top notch facility in the past few years. New playing surface that stays dry in the heaviest storms, new sound system, the digital scoreboard with the jumbo-tron on top. The school board has really commited to keeping it a two team stadium.

What's the word on the best cleats for the new surface?

Do they have a "turf" shoe/cleat or is the surface similar enough to real grass whre the regular clear is standard?

If you have a boy playing on artificial surface I would investigate the cleat issue thoroughly. My boy broke an ankle at the state championship game this year at TTU, and it was most likely due to the turf and cleats he was wearing. Of course those things can happen on grass as well, but it appeared to be attributed to a very sharp plant and change of direction while making a tackle. He had done that numerous times before and the dirt/grass would simply come loose from the field like a divot. This time on the turf the cleats stuck and his ankle snapped. I was told by 2 different college players that they actually filed their cleats down when playing on turf for that very reason. It probably depends on the position of the players as well, but at least investigate it. Investing in a pair of home turf cleats and away grass cleats would be a small price to pay in my opinion if it helps minimize the injury risk.

If you have a boy playing on artificial surface I would investigate the cleat issue thoroughly. My boy broke an ankle at the state championship game this year at TTU, and it was most likely due to the turf and cleats he was wearing. Of course those things can happen on grass as well, but it appeared to be attributed to a very sharp plant and change of direction while making a tackle. He had done that numerous times before and the dirt/grass would simply come loose from the field like a divot. This time on the turf the cleats stuck and his ankle snapped. I was told by 2 different college players that they actually filed their cleats down when playing on turf for that very reason. It probably depends on the position of the players as well, but at least investigate it. Investing in a pair of home turf cleats and away grass cleats would be a small price to pay in my opinion if it helps minimize the injury risk.

I wonder what UT does?

You are making quite a leap blaming your son'sinjury on the turf. This stuff isn't like the old astroturf that was little more than carpet. Maryville has regularly played on the new turf for the last 10 years, and each time our boys are told to wear their normal cleats.

You are making quite a leap blaming your son'sinjury on the turf. This stuff isn't like the old astroturf that was little more than carpet. Maryville has regularly played on the new turf for the last 10 years, and each time our boys are told to wear their normal cleats.

I don't think it is too much of a leap at all. I played on the old turf and it was low cut, slick and hard, but very fast. We wore special shoes that basically had no cleats but instead had rows of ridges kind of like sharks teeth. I've coached on the new field turf. Now, the new turf is taller, softer and much more like real grass. Its a much better surface no doubt than the old artificial turf. Maybe the regular grass cleat is fine most of the time. Our coaches told our team the same thing, that the regular grass cleats should be fine. However, the new turf does not give in a circumstance like I describe where my son was injured. After watching freeze frame after freeze frame of the play where he was injured with the help of not only my own film but also the televised camera angles of the injury, I believe the regular cleat combined with the field turf contributed to the injury. I'm not saying that the new field turf is a bad thing, just pointing out that in certain circumstances it can contribute to an injury. Just like it can contribute to heat exhaustion when played on in the heat of the day during the hotter months. I believe shorter cleats are best on the new field turf based on witnessing the injury to my son and conversations with a couple of guys who said they filed their cleats for the reasons described. Of course this is just my opinion, not a condemnation of field turf but rather a reply to what cleats should be worn on it. I suspect most athletes will do what their coaches suggest.

Edited by FootballDad