Welcome to Clarksville High, Coach Blosser and Coach Holker

deadlift

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of Tennessee connections for Mr. Holker:

1.) Who was the official calling his national championship match and raising his hand? hint, he is from the hotbed of wrestling in Tennessee.

2.) Who beat Mr. Holker in the NCAA's the following year? hint, he is in the same profession.

This is a great catch for Clarksville.

A couple of Tennessee connections for Mr. Holker:

1.) Who was the official calling his national championship match and raising his hand? hint, he is from the hotbed of wrestling in Tennessee.

2.) Who beat Mr. Holker in the NCAA's the following year? hint, he is in the same profession.

This is a great catch for Clarksville.

It must have been Phillip Simpson who beat him in 2003. I have no clue about the ref. I just noticed the Outstanding Wrestler for the 2003 tournament was Eric Larkin. Eric is the wrestler in the youtube video who lost to Coach Holker in the 2002 Championships. Edited by deadlift

Clarksville High is going to be exponentially better in the years to come due to these two coaches. There are not many schools that have one coach of their caliber and Clarksville High now has two! Awesome addition to wrestling in the Clarksville area. It's very exciting to have two coaches of their caliber in this area. I am looking forward to seeing the sport grow here due to their presence.

It must have been Phillip Simpson who beat him in 2003. I have no clue about the ref. I just noticed the Outstanding Wrestler for the 2003 tournament was Eric Larkin. Eric is the wrestler in the youtube video who lost to Coach Holker in the 2002 Championships.

You are correct. It was Phillip Simpson.

As for the official, it is none other than Ken Mara of C-town.

Wow! Just read this article and the other one. Sounds like a great addition for Clarksville and Tn wrestling. Since it mentioned that Holker is in the Army (usually transfers to other posts) and Blosser is from chattanooga and wrestled out west as is Holker (Utah) is from there, I'm curious to see if this is a temporary fix or if this was considered a "long-term" hire. The dynamic of this relationship will be a factor as well. (seems the titles may be reversed given wrestling accolades) I'd say if it is a good relationship and the community is good to them, it could be great. Otherwise, they could lose them both and we will read about another coach in clarksville in a year or so. Best of luck, hope it works out since the sport and I assume their families could benefit from it.

• 2 weeks later...

The newspaper link will no longer work. So, here's a copy of the article.

Wildcat wrestling's new day starts now

Jacky Blosser named head coach at Clarksville High

Written by

George Robinson

Leaf-Chronicle

CLARKSVILLE, TENN. — Jacky Blosser isn’t looking to reinvent the wheel at Clarksville High. He’s not looking to strip the wrestling program bare and build it back from scratch.

The east Tennessee native is familiar with wrestling at Clarksville High and the tradition that Jeff Jordan had established in almost 20 years, including a state dual title in 2000. Blosser is only looking to build on that tradition and maybe tweak it with his own ideas.

It’s that attitude and Blosser’s extensive knowledge and experience with high school wrestling that made him a perfect fit in CHS administration’s eyes as Blosser has been named the head coach of Clarksville High’s wrestling program.

“I feel very much like it’s a new day in Tennessee wrestling,†Blosser said. “And I expect us to be the team to beat. But there’s a lot of work that needs to be done to make that more than just a statement.â€

Blosser was introduced, along with new assistant coach Aaron Holker, to faculty, booster club parents, athletes and friends to the Wildcats’ program Wednesday night at the school cafeteria. It’s the completion of a process that began shortly after Jordan announced his resignation last March.

“I applied for it,†Blosser said. “I saw the job out there and knew it was an opportunity. I sat back and thought ... I’m from Chattanooga and sometimes when you leave your home and go somewhere, you’re not always appreciated as much as where you’re from. But I thought ‘well, let’s see’. Clarksville’s got a great program and maybe I can contribute. My brother, my family and friends talked up Clarksville.â€

But Blosser added that the Wildcats needed very little “talking upâ€. He said he’s always been aware of CHS’ tradition, having been a wrestler at Hixson in the late 1980s and facing Jordan’s Franklin High team that went on to capture a state title in 1989. Blosser said he was in college, competing in football and wrestling in South Carolina, during the time that Jordan arrived at CHS and began building a state power.

Under Jordan, Clarksville won its state title in 2000 and were state runner-up in 2001. They captured 17 straight region titles as well as district championships and have been the premier wrestling program in the city and one of the top programs in the midstate. But the Wildcats have failed to place at the state duals the past three seasons and are itching to return to that elite status.

“Obviously you can’t replace a Jeff Jordan,†Blosser said. “That’s why Aaron and I are both here. Sometimes it takes two or three to try to keep the success of one. It wasn’t hard to appreciate the program. The challenge is to come in behind that and not only maintain but see where you can come in and build and contribute.â€

Blosser was direct when he talked about challenging the more traditional powerhouse programs from Chattanooga, including Soddy Daisy, Bradley Central and Cleveland. All three program have undergone head coaching changes in the past three years, most recently Steve Henry stepping down at Soddy at the end of last season.

Blosser was an assistant coach at Hixson and also coached at Morristown West.

Blosser and Holker have discussed ways to implement their style of teaching technique to the current crop of Wildcat wrestlers. But Blosser also outlined his vision to see beyond Tennessee wrestling, looking at national competition.

“We’ve had some great wrestlers in this state but as a whole state we’re not engaging competition on a national level,†Blosser said. “It’s kind of how we felt about football. In football we’ve always felt we produce as good a talent as the Floridas or the Georgias. If we can build with our talent and showcase that to the rest of the country I think they’re going to see that we are that good.â€

Blosser graduated from Hixon in 1990 after compiling a 96-9 career record. Five of those losses came during his junior year when he wrestled in cast after a compound fracture to his leg. He was a two-time NAIA and junior college All American.

His assistant, joins the Wildcats after having several conversations with friends and family who directed him to “the program you want to be a part ofâ€.

Holker has spent eight years in the Army, having been deployed three times in 39 months, including spending a year in Afghanistan as a Convoy Commander. But he’s also an accomplished wrestler having captured three state championships as a high school standout in Utah and was a prep national champ in 1998. He was a three time NCAA Division I All American (1999, 2002, ’03) and captured an individual national title (at 141 pounds) for Iowa State.

This is Holker’s first coaching experience at the high school level but he’s been a longtime instructor for wrestling camps.

“I think coach Blosser and myself are really excited about this opportunity,†he said. “I think we both know the legacy here at Clarksville High and we’re not trying to strip that away. We’re just trying to enhance it.“