Rhea @ Powell

IMHO you will run into a good Powell team, but not one that is as powerful as they were last year. It will take them some time to recover from their losses to graduation. They have an outstanding athlete at QB and he will put a lot of pressure on the defense with both his arm and legs. However; they do not have the one/two punch of McPhetridge & Mobley like they have the past couple of seasons. They have some work to do defensively but they will continue to develop as the season goes along. Best to play them early in the season I believe. They should definitely be a playoff team, but after that, who knows. AC & OR should be their biggest tests within the district.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO you will run into a good Powell team, but not one that is as powerful as they were last year. It will take them some time to recover from their losses to graduation. They have an outstanding athlete at QB and he will put a lot of pressure on the defense with both his arm and legs. However; they do not have the one/two punch of McPhetridge & Mobley like they have the past couple of seasons. They have some work to do defensively but they will continue to develop as the season goes along. Best to play them early in the season I believe. They should definitely be a playoff team, but after that, who knows. AC & OR should be their biggest tests within the district.

Excellent synopsis. That mirrors what I've seen so far. I think this team is a bit further ahead than I thought they would be, but I agree, better to face them early in the season. The combo of Owenby-Washington won't be quite as potent as McPhetridge-Mobley, but these guys are still going to impress. Washington has definitely added some bulk, and while we know how good of a runner Owenby is, he looks like a better passer than McPhetridge. Looks like they may even have a decent kicker, which is something they haven't had in a few years. The biggest concern for this team is definitely defense, particularly up the middle. The D-line is playing pretty well, but the linebackers are very young, and there isn't a ton of depth on D. The secondary has looked solid so far, which is probably their most experienced defensive unit.

IMO, the Powell defense really made them an "elite" team the last 2 seasons. They've had good offenses before, but when you combined that powerful offensive attack with the solid defense they had the last 2 years, everything just came together. They definitely have a playoff caliber offense in 2012, but this team will likely go as far as the defense can take them.

I believe this is Rhea's 2nd trip all-time to Scarbro Stadium. The facilities have changed quite a bit since that last trip in 2001, for those traveling to Powell. New stadium seating, with bleachers on both sides, and a new scoreboard.

Edited by osunut2

Rhea has had some key injuries in the last few weeks that will impact them for the next couple of games. As a team the Eagles are much stronger and faster than last year and will make this a competitive game. I think it will be a fun game to watch.

Well it's finally time for some Rhea County football. As I'm sure we're all ready to see the first real night on the turf, we have to travel to Knoxville first to take on the Panthers. What are everyone's thoughts on this matchup? What are we going to run into with Powell?

You are going to run into a pretty good team. Yes they lost some players to graduation but will still be a sound team. Rhea County is playing with some confidence. Should make for a good game. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing Powell this year after making a great run in the 5a playoffs last year!! They lost 2 excellent athletes and football players from last years team - excited to see how they replace them and how they are going to do this season! Powell in a close one. Good luck to both teams

the rest of this year and one more and we get rid of the whole taw jackson clan! if we win tonight its because of his kid and his klans presence. duely noted why were giving statue. we need another acre or two to be able to fit all 4 of the clan in the statue though. and i got to thinking that he can bring some pigeons on down with him from the railroad to perch a while. shame on you taw jackson

any who to the rest of the team lets get em anyways boys take it to powell ow ow!