Here we go again, Some ask TSSAA block out Fridays for Football

PHargis

It certainly is noticeable that Preps Friday Nights is dominated by High School Football but even when no one else is playing, crowds are not as large unless there are rival games. To block out nights for football and not let the Market decide where the most important games are seen is not just right. There are a lot of reasons that have to do mostly with scheduling but also have to do with a sport monoply. Some sports have Tournaments on weekends which are a means of fund raising. Its true Football draws larger crowds because with larger schools you might find 100 kids on the football team and a like number of kids in the band who are tied up on a given night at a given location. Transporting that many kids to another school along with the equipment is not inexpensive. Yes, it does raise some money but is also drains some money also. Leave the nights of play alone and let the spectators decide what their preference might be. Football is not for everyone.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is noticeable that Preps Friday Nights is dominated by High School Football but even when no one else is playing, crowds are not as large unless there are rival games. To block out nights for football and not let the Market decide where the most important games are seen is not just right. There are a lot of reasons that have to do mostly with scheduling but also have to do with a sport monoply. Some sports have Tournaments on weekends which are a means of fund raising. Its true Football draws larger crowds because with larger schools you might find 100 kids on the football team and a like number of kids in the band who are tied up on a given night at a given location. Transporting that many kids to another school along with the equipment is not inexpensive. Yes, it does raise some money but is also drains some money also. Leave the nights of play alone and let the spectators decide what their preference might be. Football is not for everyone.

So? Your arguing..?

Ha! Thats strictly an opinion. If you woluld check schools that size, They arent making money of football. The larger Class A schools are making money as are the rest. Maybe I have missed something but havent seen the rule that says Football is the only sport that can play on Friday. If your attendance is down, there are many reasns that can be attributed to this year, ie, attended a game between two large schools thaqt had 200 kids on the field, football players and Band members, and small crowd visitors and fair crowd home. Let the Market determine where the crowd goes. Volleyball has tournaments all thru a short season and most of the time can reschedule times and get to a home football game. With the split with the TSSAA on gate, its hard for me to believe the school is makings ends meet. The people who are helping, the boosters and a great group of sponsers are making it go. The answer, the market will determine the results.

Without sounding too non compromising, Vb does consider football games and changes in times are considered but there are a few times a season some schools get caught. It appears schools are trying to make things work out. Like trying to fill a pint jar with a quart of molasses. Somehting keeps breaking out no matter what you try but you still have to try.

Edited by PHargis

I think your trying to say that Fridays shouldn't be just reserved for football. And I agree to a certain extent. The comment about they bring more money because people have to go for there kids is a lie. I think there may be one or two highschools that have 100 kids on the roster. And as for the smaller divisions they have around 25-50 kids and more people go because they bring in more money. They bring on more money because people are more interested in it and it's just fun

I will have to say that huge VB Tournaments during football seasons especially if they are in a third party commercial site will be a slight issue. Everyone knew it would be when they first started but thats another story and another war to fight which I'm not sure there is a winner. After All, schools are trying to rasie money like anyone else and need the way to do it. Everyone is scraping the best that they can. Why cant girls have the same advantage as boys? What did Title 9 mean? Some of these female athletes are competing for the same scholarships as their male counterparts. And if anyone would like to check, it is working to give3 them the same opportunities.

Ok I see now. Your upset that volleyball can't be played on Fridays or I mean at least it's frowned upon. I'm not a male activist I understand. And the ply reason there played on Friday is because they get only 10 games compareed to baseball and basketballs 30 plus tourneys. They get a week to prepare and then Friday unleash. That's the only explanation I can think of

Good Point Indian, that could be a solution but it would mean staying overnight two days and you do see what is wrong with that. What might be just as important is why Football now has started going all the way to Louisville for some big shindig. Whats wrong with a two day trip to Nashville or Knoxville. Certainly most of these Schools are Privates and only lend credence to some who say let the privates go their own way and forget about them. The reason the Tennessean is even bringing this up is because they caught VB sending a number of schools to the Ironman in Huntsville and with them a lot of revenue from a lot of fans. When are Tennessee schools going to realize that there is a lot of talent in this State that Schools here have venues that can be used. It happens in every sport but not like football who think they can just drain as many fans as they need and then complain everyone else is taking their fans away from them. Let the market determine who is taking who from who. And if Volleyball is attracting that many fans, let them look at their own marketing. After All Football is using two attractions and rightly so to pull fans from High School Sports, Band and Football. But even band has events outside of football that are great venues. They too are competing for scholarships and spend a lot of money.

So now I too see the problem and am sympathetic. Big Schools and Big school programs do take away attendance from smaller schools. But except for the higher level, population, schools I cant see it hurting, i.e., the Tennessean comments. The market will tell you where the problem is and also the economy. Dont be concerned about the Private Schools of the larger Public schools. But to carve out a time frame under no circumstances an event cant be held is not reasonable. I do think that huge events in a third party venue is suspect because ALL schools have to raise money, not just a few. And much of that money goes to sponsers and the third party.

Follow the money and you can see whose gaining and losing. Let the market determine that. Since football and Band Cohort why shouldnt ticket prices be higher in situations like that but on the other side of that, one might say both are paying for it any way with fees to play or play, and thats right. Again, and Im being redundant, it is impossible to understand why so many schools with so much talent cant attract schools in states around us to events in the State here. They must be smarter. Only few are taking advantage of it.

And to scouter, good post. I admit being a VB activist but understand all schools have to exist with their programs. Title 9 has already taken care of a lot of this and with as many playing these sports, there has to be some give a take and Soccer and Volleyball just happens to be in the way. There is no way to include both of them.

Announcements