Powell at Oak Ridge

3wiggle

I am not going to even try to predict this game I have gotten the prediction wrong 2 years in a row lol. I thought Powell was the better team last year, but thought Oak Ridge would sneak up on them and beat them... and I was wrong. Powell is a very good football team and I think Oak Ridge is the only team on their regular season schedule who has the potential to beat them. Oak Ridge also is a very good football team. Powell's offense is explosive and Owenby is getting better and better every game throwing the football and I think its only a matter of time before he has a big game throwing the ball. Neither team can have a bad game and come out with a win.

Plain and simple defensively Oak Ridge had Powell's number last year and it wasn't until Powell went into a Power I formation that they started having success offensively. This year should be different as Owenby can throw the ball. Should be a good game and I am not going to give the edge to either team lol.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said bball. Middleton has been an animal as a blocking WR, and it was a big plus to see him catch a couple of passes last week. He's a big body, and his size alone has made him a force as a blocker. Now that he's being targeted, his presence has to take some pressure off of the other WRs.

That being said, his ability to run block on the outside will be important Friday night. I don't know how often he'll get a chance to block downfield in this game, but I don't think Powell is going to have a ton of success running between the tackles against OR. They'll have to soften up the OR defense with some outside runs, and despite OR's speed, if guys like Middleton can effictively block on the outside, that will be huge for the Panther offense.

Anybody know if Jalen Miller will be back for Oak Ridge? Will be a huge boost for the O and D if he comes back. Has been out both games so far with mono symptoms. And also. How is Powell's offensive line pass blocking? They better be on their game, because OR has 11 sacks through 2 ballgames, with #52 having 6 of them.

I am not going to even try to predict this game I have gotten the prediction wrong 2 years in a row lol. I thought Powell was the better team last year, but thought Oak Ridge would sneak up on them and beat them... and I was wrong. Powell is a very good football team and I think Oak Ridge is the only team on their regular season schedule who has the potential to beat them. Oak Ridge also is a very good football team. Powell's offense is explosive and Owenby is getting better and better every game throwing the football and I think its only a matter of time before he has a big game throwing the ball. Neither team can have a bad game and come out with a win.

Plain and simple defensively Oak Ridge had Powell's number last year and it wasn't until Powell went into a Power I formation that they started having success offensively. This year should be different as Owenby can throw the ball. Should be a good game and I am not going to give the edge to either team lol.

Well said all around. I think a key to the game will be Owenby. Powell will have to be able to throw the football....if they can't they will lose. Oak Ridge is capable of loading the box to stop the run, so not only Owenby, but the receivers will have to step up as well. Any thoughts on the big 6'5" freshman Middleton? I'm really hoping he will step up and make some plays this week. I'm not gonna throw a score out with either. Lol. It could go either way

Edited by powellphoto

Anybody know if Jalen Miller will be back for Oak Ridge? Will be a huge boost for the O and D if he comes back. Has been out both games so far with mono symptoms. And also. How is Powell's offensive line pass blocking? They better be on their game, because OR has 11 sacks through 2 ballgames, with #52 having 6 of them.

Jalen did return this week. Don't know what type of shape he will be in though.

SS - you don't have a choice. Districts are drawn by the TSSAA geographically. That's what reclassification and the current 3 regular season, 6 playoff classification system is all about. Schools are districted to reduce regular season travel.

Not sure who your reliable source is, but going to a Chattanooga area district just won't happen.

Actually it can happen if a school requests it.

It is a very long way from South Knoxville to Newport and Rogersville,and this was done when the re-classifications were drawn up.

OR cant win this district so might as well request to change...LOL

If you told me that we'd be 4 years into this new classification system and OR would still be looking for their first District 3 title, I would never have believed it. This is their year though. Winner of this game clearly has the advantage.

Well said all around. I think a key to the game will be Owenby. Powell will have to be able to throw the football....if they can't they will lose. Oak Ridge is capable of loading the box to stop the run, so not only Owenby, but the receivers will have to step up as well. Any thoughts on the big 6'5" freshman Middleton? I'm really hoping he will step up and make some plays this week. I'm not gonna throw a score out with either. Lol. It could go either way

I agree with you here. I think the freshman has potential and is a solid option at receiver in the pass and run game. He has proven that he is a very good pass blocker at WR. This last game he caught both balls thrown his way and has actually pretty good hands from what I could tell. He doesn't have a lot of speed yet, but he is a big target. I think he can be a big help this year.

I agree with you here. I think the freshman has potential and is a solid option at receiver in the pass and run game. He has proven that he is a very good pass blocker at WR. This last game he caught both balls thrown his way and has actually pretty good hands from what I could tell. He doesn't have a lot of speed yet, but he is a big target. I think he can be a big help this year.

Well said bball. Middleton has been an animal as a blocking WR, and it was a big plus to see him catch a couple of passes last week. He's a big body, and his size alone has made him a force as a blocker. Now that he's being targeted, his presence has to take some pressure off of the other WRs.

That being said, his ability to run block on the outside will be important Friday night. I don't know how often he'll get a chance to block downfield in this game, but I don't think Powell is going to have a ton of success running between the tackles against OR. They'll have to soften up the OR defense with some outside runs, and despite OR's speed, if guys like Middleton can effictively block on the outside, that will be huge for the Panther offense.

Powell hasn't given up many sacks at all. Don't know if they have given up any sacks other than maybe a bad snap resulting in a sack. The line has sometimes broke down, but luckily Owenby is very very elusive lol. He is very hard for tackle when the pocket breaks down. Powell also has a guy who is getting quite a few sacks. He has 7 in two and a half games and 12 tackles for a loss. Although, Powell only has 11 sacks in 3 ball games. Powell has been pretty decent up front this year though defensively as they have 34 tackles for a loss.

Powell's offensive line will have to play their best game against Oak Ridge their is no question about that.

Yes he has been a huge help blocking and that is what me and you talked about after the first game is a lot of Powell's success depended upon that WR blocking. You are right, Powells WR's will have to do a great job sealing their blocks come Friday night. They have done well the past few weeks, so hopefully that trend will continue.