To the subject of Warren Co. FOOTBALL!

bulldog6565

I've read a few stories about Warren County Football lately.I don't think cars or lack of jobs or even Obama has really anything to do with the state of Pioneer football.I have lived in Warren County for 65 years and have followed the team each year.For those who are not old enough to remember the 1973 squad which went undefeated , played Chattanooga Baylor of which two brothers by the name of Hanna started for them and later played at Alabama and the pros.We were beaten by them in the playoffs but not by much.Coach Pedro Paz was named Midstate coach of the year and was fired at the end of the season.all because he didn.t start a school board members son.Politics is what is wrong with Pioneer football.Check it out.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Coach Mac at Jackson North Side played for Warren County. He coached me at TCA. He is very good. TCA was a laughing stock and He and Coach Hodum got TCA going in the right direction which eventually landed them in the state championship game! He is doing the same thing over at North Side, another team that has been a celler dweller until he got there. They went 12-1 two years ago and are undefeated with a good team this year. If Warren County is serious about their athletics and football team, then I would try to get him back to his alma mater! He has always been the offensive coordinator and hasnt been a head football coach, but he was the head baseball coach for us and he got that program going too. Went to North Side as their head guy and they began to win again. The guy can flat coach and he loves his players!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Warren County fans where are you at? Judging by this site and the view from the stands, Coffee Countians have already written the season off. I hear the gate for the middle school games has been bigger than the CCCHS games this year. I thought for sure I would see some discussion this week as both teams have to feel good about their chances to get a W...

It's interesting this came up again. I've got a close friend who coaches in District 8 AAA. He said judging by their "freshman" team (half of which were sophs) they look to be on an upswing. Good looking skill players and some good looking linemen. Now, what happens between today and the time they'll be playing on Friday nights is yet to be seen. I don't think they lack talent. I can't imagine that any community is so athletically broke that they can't compete. I'm sure that there are exceptions to the rule, but let's say that Warren County has 1400+ students, you can't convince me that there aren't 2 or 3 "difference makers" in the midst of a student body of that size. I don't think they're focused on other sports because they don't compete in those either. I have no doubt that the current coaching staff is doing all they can do with the group of boys they have. It's some form of funk that WC, as a school and community, has to overcome.

It's interesting this came up again. I've got a close friend who coaches in District 8 AAA. He said judging by their "freshman" team (half of which were sophs) they look to be on an upswing. Good looking skill players and some good looking linemen. Now, what happens between today and the time they'll be playing on Friday nights is yet to be seen. I don't think they lack talent. I can't imagine that any community is so athletically broke that they can't compete. I'm sure that there are exceptions to the rule, but let's say that Warren County has 1400+ students, you can't convince me that there aren't 2 or 3 "difference makers" in the midst of a student body of that size. I don't think they're focused on other sports because they don't compete in those either. I have no doubt that the current coaching staff is doing all they can do with the group of boys they have. It's some form of funk that WC, as a school and community, has to overcome.

Thanks for that report. I agree that they do not compete very well in most sports but I just cannot figure why the poor performance in football year after year. As you mentioned, the school is one of the largest in the state. It really looks like a void of emphasis on sports in the community even before the high school years.

I have worked in Warren Co for twenty years and one of the problems is they split their youth program into two leagues. They have a "travel" league and a city league, why so much division? The middle school program is usually pretty good though, I have heard they just stop playing in high school? Really sad a school this size can't field a better sports program.