Sequoyah League Youth Football Weight/Age limitations

logcabinman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weight limits are discussed and voted on every year in the Commissioner’s pre-season meeting. And every year player safety is the overriding issue to continue using weight/age limitations for the Junior division. The vote has never been close (to abolish weight/age requirements).

These requirements are fair.Most 14 yr old are freshman one on a team is enough.There is so much difference between a 12 yr old and a 14 yr old its like a man among boys,the whole purpose of these leagues is to teach technique and safety,when you have a 180 pound tailback some kids are going to get hurt.Some of these team cannot even field a 14 yr old i remember a few yrs ago Polk and Madisonvile had 10 and 12 of them.This has to be done in order to keep the teams on an even keel,you cannot compare rec league football to high school its apples to oranges.

These requirements are fair.Most 14 yr old are freshman one on a team is enough.There is so much difference between a 12 yr old and a 14 yr old its like a man among boys,the whole purpose of these leagues is to teach technique and safety,when you have a 180 pound tailback some kids are going to get hurt.Some of these team cannot even field a 14 yr old i remember a few yrs ago Polk and Madisonvile had 10 and 12 of them.This has to be done in order to keep the teams on an even keel,you cannot compare rec league football to high school its apples to oranges.

I disagree. I have no problem with placing a weight limit on a 14 year old so they can play, but at the junior level there is not much difference. With a middle school program not being offered thise kids are left out and it is hurting the high schools in our area. There is a big difference between a high school sophmore and senior as well, in terms of getting hurt. Like I said, if you only place a weight restriction on a player 14 years of age I think that would be sufficient.

To be honest I wish our two schools could just join together and take the best fifteen or sixteen kids and play as a travel team and let the others play the junior schedule.