raven wood football

pagegrad98

I'm not sure, but if you look at Hillwood - also in an "upscale" area...the era when they were good in sports ended when the kids grew up and went to college and then went out in the world, didn't return back to the neighborhood they grew up in (the prices of the homes became too high for almost anybody to buy one) ...now it's an area full of older people who went from being parents to grandparents. Plus, a number of the kids that still grow up out there (a shrinking number) attend private schools.

As the original residents of those nice subdivsions near Split Log Rd. etc. keep getting older, (short of a re-zoning) Ravenwood could certainly experiece what Hillwood had been going through in sports. If Nolensville gets a high school of it's own, an even bigger potential drop off could happen. Just a theory.

Since I live close to ravenwood and my old eyes don't do so good driving in the dark, I've gone a seen a couple of games. What is going on at ravenwood is lack of heart, lack of discipline, and lack of conditioning. There are a couple of good players, but from what I can see, the work hasn't been put in.

Ravenwood is no where near going through what Hillwood went through, and I was in Nashville when all that happened. The problem with ravenwood is lack of quality coaching coupled with kids and parents that forgot that money can't buy personal hard work.

Ravenwood has the same talent base (Nolensville) they had when they won a state championship. The administration IS the problem. They ran off some great coaches, didnt work with some to give them the support they needed to run high level programs so they left, cowtowed to complaining parents that thought jr was the star when jr realistically could not do much more than keep a helmet off the grass, hired a felon that got released a month later, and got stuck hiring a guy that was on the bottom of the list just to get a hire made.

Maryville does it with a great long term coach who has built the expectation to always win all the way down through the rug rat programs. Having an easy out of zone tuition policy in place by the school district helps a whole lot too.