How can Pickett County get help?

TNHSfan

I remember an amonette boy from PC going D1 to wake forest in basketball.

Their best bet is to start a youth program and build it from the bottom up. Nothing wrong with 8 man in high school until it gets some success and a little better following and support.

Yeah, I remember Amonette- he played at Wake Forest with some guy named Tim Duncan...............

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I remember Amonette- he played at Wake Forest with some guy named Tim Duncan...............

Ding, Ding, Ding, we've got a winner; 1 guy in the school's history, and you guessed it.

The point is that if the "athletes" in the school don't play football, they eventually won't be playing football, when they continue to barely have enough to field a team.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we've got a winner; 1 guy in the school's history, and you guessed it.

The point is that if the "athletes" in the school don't play football, they eventually won't be playing football, when they continue to barely have enough to field a team.

No, they've not had many sign to big D-1 colleges but they've had college talent. Joseph Bailey and Nick Aaron were 2 of the best players last decade that I got see that played for PC. I'm pretty sure Bailey went to Ut Chatt to play basketball and I think N. Aaron did as well, but i'm not sure so maybe someone from PC could help clear that up. Basketball in PC isn't what it used to be! Almost every year they were one of the favorites to come out of the region but that isn't the case anymore. Just because the athletes doesn't play football doesn't mean there won't be any football. For years, we couldn't get athletes to play football, but kids would come and play to just say they play a sport, not a lot but just enough. When this happens you tend to go 0-10 season after season! You just have to get the kids interested and want to come to play. I wouldn't necessarily say you need a great football coach, because even a good football coach isn't much if he doesn't have the talent to coach, but they need someone who can get the kids interested and want to play.

Guest Purplepastry

They have 7-8 man football around...they need to get in, where they fit in.

Slimlady, looks like you should get TC to play them, unless they are a private school. Do they have open enrollement?

they came to gord last year with 12 players in which 2 were girls which both started

correction, ONE Girl; #54 Samantha Harden; the one a LOT of people think is a Girl is because of people misspelling a name, it's Aaron Reagan not ERIN Reagan... but yeah...

Swanson you got 2 names crossed, its Nathan Aaron & Nick Cross you're thinking(and Nathan's nephew Ben Aaron). Bailey went to UTM and last i heard dropped out playing in MAYBE 5-6 games... Nathan on the other hand Played for Freed Hardeman for 3 years(maybe 4).

Slim, nothing personal... but no, 8 man football is out of the question for 2 reasons

1) Travel... the nearest team to PC that plays 8 Man is St. Andrews, the next nearest after that is Aaron Academy, both of which are a pretty good drive from Byrdstown.

2) ties into #1, Fan Support from all sides + Money, yeah you can say what Fan Support, but at least teams that come up to Byrdstown bring a decient amt of fans, cut the average fans that are sent by at LEAST 75% for an 8 man game... even if it's an established 8-Man program.

as to what the entire problem is in PC, it's pretty much from what i've seen a wholeistic problem, lack of support from a fan base(non-parents), no one really willing to try out(from what i was told they had 27 players start out durring the summer, friday they had 14 healthy bodies on the sidelines), Injuries(see last subject), many kids play from the Ground up and get burnt out usually by their freshman year(occasionally sophomore year), and many other things that i'm not at the liberty to say to anyone, i personally pray that the problems will eventually fix themselves one day

and to what was asked earlier yes, they DO have a 'Little Kids' program "Pickett County Titans" they do not play a Tennessee Schedual, they instead play an All Kentucky Schedual against local kentucky competition.

potential solutions as a lot have been asking, what would help PC?

option 1) Leave a TSSAA Sanctioned Region and go Independent? tried that when they first formed their program, did it work? yes, but it also was a LOT of travel they did when they were an independent.

option 2) Leave TSSAA and ask for KHSAA Amnesty for Football only? (This happens in other state federations[Mt. Vernon in illinois plays Football in Indiana]) maybe a good idea, but probably at this point not feasable due to lots of travel and the majority of opponents in the same classification are both a good distance away AND in eastern time(PC is Central time).

option 3) Hope the TSSAA re-classification 'levels the playing field?' it's called the T$$@@ for a reason, so no, not happening.

option 4) Sit and just ride it out, and hope it gets better they have to win eventually right? This is probably the best option and i really hope and pray they take that to heart and do NOT let naysayers tell them otherwise.

but then again... what do i know, i'm just a random nameless graduate of PC... *sigh* just hoping it gets better for them.