MBA-Ensworth

BigRedDog00

The crowd is also a factor in this. Hopefully you all will get a chance to go. It might come off as an MBA home game as I have never seen a crowd like MBA has this season.

On the other hand, Corn Elder is a force, but is not unstoppable. Look at the BGA game. They were able to contain him for a large majority of the game by stacking the box. Could be a big win for MBA. They did it in '09, hope see a great game Friday.

There is no crowd factor either way because Ensworth drowns it out with the kidz bop soundtrack that my kids listen to every day.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ensworth players ran through a banner that said "Red Rover Red Rover, the "Rivalry" is Over" and they couldn't have been more correct. 7-7 at the half, due largely to Ensworth turnovers and penalties, it turned in to a romp in the 2nd half. Ensworth totally dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, taking what was supposed to be an MBA advantage and pretty much embarrassing them the whole game. 28-7 now and it will get worse if Ricky wants it to. MBA is done.

It is the job of the coach to give your players an opportunity to win the game. The MBA coach failed miserably tonight. After a great first drive, he lost all imagination and drive. Ensworth put 10 in the box and turned the field into an area about 8 yards long by 3 yards deep.The coach did not spread the field, did not allow the quarterback to throw enough and showed no killer instinct. He made no adjustments.With the score at 7 to 7 with two minutes left in the first half , the coach did nothing to try to get into field goal range and take a lead into half. The play calls the last half had no scheme and were totally ineffective.When the game was out of reach, MBA had a chance to get another touchdown and they let the clock run down rather than figting to the end. It was an embarrasing surrender..The team played tough but got beat on the line of scrimmage and got no help at all from where they needed it the most.

Corn Elder +200 yards and a couple of TDs. Did MBA's DC feel like he had a plan to throttle Corn?

I'm wondering what will BA's new DC have planned to contain Elder. Im sure he has seen Texas high school players of this caliber before. Maybe a box n one. Like a basketball defense.

I will say it again stop Corn, you beat Ensworth.

Why not have 2 linebackers key on Corn every play. I would rather double up on him and play 10 against 9 than play them straight up.

Corn Elder +200 yards and a couple of TDs. Did MBA's DC feel like he had a plan to throttle Corn?

I'm wondering what will BA's new DC have planned to contain Elder. Im sure he has seen Texas high school players of this caliber before. Maybe a box n one. Like a basketball defense.

I will say it again stop Corn, you beat Ensworth.

Why not have 2 linebackers key on Corn every play. I would rather double up on him and play 10 against 9 than play them straight up.

You're just not stopping corn. And even if you do, you are so worried about him you allow the other guys to make plays. Even when he wasn't breaking 70 yard runs like he has in the past he's getting 7-8 yards a carry.

Teams played to a draw first half and looked basically even. First possession of 2nd half MBA commits a huge holding penalty that turns 2nd and short into 2nd and 20. That was huge. That and ricky's great call on the quick kick from mid field 2 possessions later. Little Bowers made them pay on a great throw to the corner of the end zone when everyone was thinking corn.

Corn is just something special and I'm glad this is the last time we will see him.

Spot on deadaim, (as always) the play calling at the end of the first half sealed the deal. It said no confidence in the offense's ability. They could have opened it up (they were in the middle of the field) and at least got into field goal position. You can't win unless you score points. Their best offensive weapons barely touched the ball all night. Does the field get any help form the coaches in the press box? That use to be a strength. No depth is hurting also. The players going both ways got tired in the second half. Hats off the to Bowers to sticking to his plan, Corn left, Corn right.....whatever it takes to win. Any idea how much the jumbotron cost? Best wins money can buy...

Spot on deadaim, (as always) the play calling at the end of the first half sealed the deal. It said no confidence in the offense's ability. They could have opened it up (they were in the middle of the field) and at least got into field goal position. You can't win unless you score points. Their best offensive weapons barely touched the ball all night. Does the field get any help form the coaches in the press box? That use to be a strength. No depth is hurting also. The players going both ways got tired in the second half. Hats off the to Bowers to sticking to his plan, Corn left, Corn right.....whatever it takes to win. Any idea how much the jumbotron cost? Best wins money can buy...

No one likes a sore loser, dude. Remember what is said about people who live in glass houses throwing stones. Oh, by the way, in the game I saw, Ensworth had more two-way players than did MBA. I was impressed with how hard kids from both sides played in this game - it is a very emotional game for a lot of them and I was happy to see good sportsmanship displayed by both teams.

Where was Dylan Hall? I was very impressed with the Euvarard (sp?) boy's quarterback play. I am pretty sure that Hall is a senior - what year is Euverard?

MBA played a good first half. Second half, defense couldn't get off the field and were gassed. Ensworth played a heck of a game with some unmatched coaching calls. Corn is amazing at what he does, the kids needs very little room to hit a hole and very little time to cut. He will be fun to watch for the rest of this year. This #19 Morris Eguakan kid has been under the radar, but as I've been watching the Big Red this year, every single game consistently, this kid is making key plays.(I believe he leads the division in sacks), and he did it in this game, too. Just wanted to point out the two players from each side that I thought stuck out in this game. Will be exciting to see these boys on the next level.

You have got to remember that MBA had 2 of their best players out of the game. QB Hall and center Powell were out . Both starters. May not have made a huge difference but it could have. Hall is a great passer and passing means a lot in today's games.

I think you are partially right. Powell is a FORCE in the middle and his experience and size would have helped the young QB. Euverard is a Sophomore and I believe gives MBA a true two dimensional threat. He has a great arm and can also tuck it and run. He showed a lot of courage in the backfield all night, it reminded me of the 2009 win at Ensworth where a sophomore QB was at the helm. (there was a win at Ensworth in 2010 as well)

You got to give Ricky his dues,,,, he uses every weapon at his disposal and most of the time very effectively.

I would like to have seen MBA with its normal QB set-up. Euverard runs well and does have a good arm, but he's short on game experience, especially passing. He doesn't have the timing with the receivers that Hall does. I'm not dissatisfied with the play-caling at the end of the first half. A 7-7 tie at the half was a good result, while an interception would have been a morale buster, particularly if it was Elder in the open field. I'd be very leery trying a 2 minute offense with an inexperienced soph QB. I'm not knocking Euverard: I think he'll be a very fine QB in time, and he's quite competent.

One of the biggest problems for MBA was Ensworth. They have an excellent team. Most problematically, they're as fast on defense as MBA is on offense. In most of MBA's games this season, the combination of MBA's line play and backfield speed eventually open up something. Ensworth was able to match that. At no time when the game was in question was MBA able to get to the edge and move upfield. So much focus goes to Elder on offense that people overlook the fact that they have a good defense.

In my mind, the game turned on Bowers' punt that EHS downed at the one. That was a killer. Again, it's hard to be critical of the play calling at the time: MBA's run well all year, inexperienced QB passing from his own end-zone against a fast team with a good rush, and it's a one score game. I can't fault the MBA staff for playing it conservative. Yeah, we know now that it didn't work out, but that's the beauty of decisions made in hindsight.

A relatively short punt follows, and Bowers throws a TD pass. For my money, he gets a game ball, because with a 2 score difference under the circumstances, MBA is more likely to go coed than they are to take a lead. I have no idea if there's any college interest in Bowers, who's obviously overshadowed by Elder. But he's definitely a very competent HS QB, and he handled both ends of the decisive score.

I think you are partially right. Powell is a FORCE in the middle and his experience and size would have helped the young QB. Euverard is a Sophomore and I believe gives MBA a true two dimensional threat. He has a great arm and can also tuck it and run. He showed a lot of courage in the backfield all night, it reminded me of the 2009 win at Ensworth where a sophomore QB was at the helm. (there was a win at Ensworth in 2010 as well)

You got to give Ricky his dues,,,, he uses every weapon at his disposal and most of the time very effectively.

Well, well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black