Covington @ Haywood

CHARGERFAN

Regarding Haywood, see the following link. This says (in part)

"Tennessee's Haywood High School (which has consecutively played every year since 1911) is the 6th all-time winningest football program in Tennessee (609-349-32)".

It is amazing to me that they have let this proud program slip as far as they have.

Haywood Co ..yeah i remember playing those guys ..they booted us (Maplewood) from the playoffs in 94 2nd round ...had much respect for that team ..one of the best i had ever faced...

oh those were the days!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 100% sure you don't have more history dude. I graduated from Byars-Hall in 1962 (Covington was formed when Byars-Hall and Frasier merged). I have only missed 5 games played by Covington High since 1986. That includes home, away, bowl, or playoff games. I had 3 kids graduate from Covington, too. I've been there for a long time.

I was extremely proud of last year's team. They overachieved to make the state quarterfinals. Our best player (Carlos Williams) was lost to injury early in the season. We ran what we had run all year. it is like Bear Bryant said long ago "You dance with who brung you".

I'm sorry the one game you saw last year did not live up to your expectations. We won't mind if you don't show up at all this year, especially if you plan to "laugh" at our kids.

Well said ChargerFan. The fact is that last year's team did over achieve. They made it to the semi's with a talented group of backs with speed and a bruising line to block for them. Everyone thought things would fall apart when Williams went down but the other backs picked up the pace. Their best back now probably would have gone unnoticed if not for the Williams kid getting hurt. But they did not have the passing game they have now. This year's group is a seasoned bunch, alot of whom have played since they were sophomores. With the talent they have now it kinda reminds me of the teams from the early 2000's. Good linemen and backs with speed. And a qb that can throw. Not to mention a hard hitting defense. Let's hope it pays off with a trip to Cookeville in early Dec.

i will say this about the charger football team , they are a talented bunch of young men. After they played dyersburg early in the season , i was so intrigued by them, i went and watched them a couple more times , but i will say this my trojans are getting better. maybe some tough love have got the trojans fired up. i always hate when people try to compare teams from the past to the present. The charger teams in the late 1990's and early 2000's was a very dominant program , with kids going to several d1 schools. several players going to UT with great careers. The whole district was much better during that time period. The district now is very weak , compare any teams from then til now. this a good team , but it would get beat by teams in the past. Waiting to see a good return grudge match between the chargers and trojans in the 3rd round. Probably will be a different outcome than last time.

ChargerFan look into your crystal ball , and predict me an outcome.

I also saw where you were a tiger football fan , I cant believe you would admit that. HaHa

ChargerFan look into your crystal ball , and predict me an outcome.

I also saw where you were a tiger football fan , I cant believe you would admit that. HaHa

A future game vs. Dyersburg in the playoffs? I will wait to see if it happens before calling on the oracle to make a prediction. To jump ahead would violate the "one game at a time" rule. I will say that a rematch would be a tough game for us because I respect your team.

Yep, I am a Memphis Tiger fan (and serious booster). They are not very good right now, but I have confidence in the future. Why? New coach, new Athletic Director, new Big East membership, major extra dollars from Big East, massive contributions from Fed Ex, new football facilities on campus, new Liberty Bowl refurbishing and upgrades in recruiting.

easy ChargerFan , it is hard for us UT Vol fans to cheer for our football team as well. I am a Vol booster , but not a serious vol booster. Y ou must pay big money and have seats by the big wigs on the fifty yard line and a luxury box at the liberty bowl and courtside seats by Penny Hardaway at basketball games. Are your seats that good at the Charger games.

You know, I was looking at Haywood's record this year. I had not paid that much attention to their scores before now, but other than their game against Dyersburg, their other three losses were very close. Crockett County just got by them, and evidently they gave Ripley a good game at Tiny Knee Stadium last Friday.

@ JCM lost 7-13

Crockett County lost 33-36

@ Dyer County won 46-26

Dyersburg lost 27-48

Fayette –Ware won 59-0

@ Ripley lost 31-35

I suspect that they may be showing some improvement. I would just as soon not see them peak against us this week, though. Have y'all seen these scores before?

Edited by CHARGERFAN

You know, I was looking at Haywood's record this year. I had not paid that much attention to their scores before now, but other than their game against Dyersburg, their other three losses were very close. Crockett County just got by them, and evidently they gave Ripley a good game at Tiny Knee Stadium last Friday.

@ JCM lost 7-13

Crockett County lost 33-36

@ Dyer County won 46-26

Dyersburg lost 27-48

Fayette –Ware won 59-0

@ Ripley lost 31-35

I suspect that they may be showing some improvement. I would just as soon not see them peak against us this week, though. Have y'all seen these scores before?

The tomcats had a great shot of being 4-2 going into this game, losing to Crockett and ripley in the last minutes of each game. Maybe could even be 5-1 if the offense was clicking that first game. They seem to be improving, but I don't think they can match Covington this week. Covington is too sound and pretty much shut down a Brighton offense which is very similar to Haywoods. I hope Haywood peaks this week and pulls an upset, but I just don't see that happening. I think Covington wins by a few scores.