Sullivan South vs. Daniel Boone (5A)

blazer1set

That's a great comment Toss. It's a shame I can't tell you the rest of the story. Congratulations on the win. I hope you do well in the playoffs. Coach Jenkins was very gracious after the game.

Good luck to you guys too. Looks like you have some good young talent coming up. Who knows how all of this will shake out but we may see you guys again before it is all over.

I haven't posted in a long time but the inept play calling from the South OC has brought me out of retirement. Even had to update my sign-in it has been so long. Weaver carries the team from near the goal line to the 50 @ 5 or 6 yards a carry and then they switch horses and he is barely utilized on offense for maybe 2 quarters? Tonight it wasn't because of an injury. Either he can't seem to make up his mind on the sideline or he can't communicate. At least have an idea of what you want to call on the next play! When they can't draw a penalty on 4th and inches he can't get a real play in. The kids are just standing there waiting for instruction but for some reason the communication isn't happening. I have been impressed by a few things over the past few years including the willingness to try something different when things but all too often I have seen this OC just stop trying things that are working. I'd like to hear some comments. Not fed up here but quite frustrated...

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted in a long time but the inept play calling from the South OC has brought me out of retirement. Even had to update my sign-in it has been so long. Weaver carries the team from near the goal line to the 50 @ 5 or 6 yards a carry and then they switch horses and he is barely utilized on offense for maybe 2 quarters? Tonight it wasn't because of an injury. Either he can't seem to make up his mind on the sideline or he can't communicate. At least have an idea of what you want to call on the next play! When they can't draw a penalty on 4th and inches he can't get a real play in. The kids are just standing there waiting for instruction but for some reason the communication isn't happening. I have been impressed by a few things over the past few years including the willingness to try something different when things but all too often I have seen this OC just stop trying things that are working. I'd like to hear some comments. Not fed up here but quite frustrated...

Understand the frustration. In a game like this when you expect Boone's defense to dominate, you figure 2 TDs have you right there and 3 probably win it, which would have been close. The chance to go up early would have put the pressure on the Blazers. With the way Weaver was rolling, I liked his chances with 2 downs to make 4 yards. But we went with the same strategy that we came up short on the last play last year when we were 4th and goal from the 2 at the end of the game to win it. The call was to use the passing QB on the run instead of the big power back. It wasn't successful either time. I think you send a message to your team that you have no faith in them when you don't go on 4th and 1 from the 50. It's not like we have a sterling defense and an outstanding punt unit to hang our hat on and play a field position game. We missed a golden opportunity to get our kids some momentum right there. The 3 and out with the pass to start the second half didn't look very well thought out either. Then the misplay on the interception that resulted in a Boone TD pretty much sealed it until Coach Jenkins got cute and tried to let us back in with the mishandled pitch. That resulted in a South 5 yd. TD drive but we couldn't shut down their running game to close the gap further.

Ohhhhh, You've done it now.

He is a ____________ (Please insert your choice of diety here)

Be alert for an onslaught of lightning or idiots.

• Upvote 1

Ohhhhh, You've done it now.

He is a ____________ (Please insert your choice of diety here)

Be alert for an onslaught of lightning or idiots.

Dear Batmast,

Please remove me from the idiot list.

I feel like an idiot for thinking like an idiot for so long.

I no longer wish to be an idiot.

Cordially,

crawdad

ps. I hope lightning doesn't strike me. huh.png

Weaver has not been injured this season. In the Enka game he sprained an ankle, nothing more. He was ready for full play against DB. In the TN High game the coaches and France over reacted and made a knee jerk decision, Weaver passed all tests after the game and was cleared by his physician the following Thursday for full play against Elizabethton. The decision Not to play him can not be blamed on any injury. If that is what is being reported, it is a lie.

We have watched a systematic destruction of a very good football program in a short three years.This was caused not by lack of talent or desire by athletes but by priorites on the coaching staff. Every program has talent levels that fluctuate every few years. You adjust your game plan to the strengths you do have. All of us that teach, coach or volunteer are held to a higher accountability to do our very best toward these young men. Instead, we have entered games unprepared repeatedly. More worrisome than that, we have witnessed arrogance, spite and desire for each game and the entire season to be over as soon as possible.

I am fully aware of the time and effort coupled with lack of any true monetary compensation that is High School football. This fact should not be a suprise to anyone accepting this job. If you can not willingly claim full responsibilty and give 100% to the players, step down.

I am also aware that all seasons can not be great, but you should be able to look prepared and know the strenghts and weaknesses of your players. There is very little room for "cute" and trick plays in football. Basic, hard fought, intentional football has won many more games than trying to trick the other coach ever has.

It is indeed a shame what has become of South football. Dropping in classification will not fix what is wrong with this program.

I want to be sure to say that no one was telling me anything about injuries. I was just talking about what I could observe from the stands so no call need to call anyone down for lying. I can't complain about the staff being careful with the health of their players. I know you can ride a horse to death but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise it regularly.

You guys are right about talent fluctuations. I'm expecting the team to look better over the next few years and it has nothing to do with reclassification. Some classes just have a few more playmakers and the Soph class is one of the better ones that we have had in a while. Crawdad can reflect much better than I about the play book and such, what is so concerning to me are the seeming meltdowns on the sideline during game time. I actually think that we have entered several games with a different package/gameplan designed to take advantage of our strengths vs the other teams weaknesses but there always seems to be a moment where the OC misplaces his big boy pants and melts down temporarily. That's not leadership and goes nowhere in inspiring your kids to believe in themselves. It is like getting to see GC@DB during a tight playoff game.

Maybe that will draw some lightning...

By the way, I hope the Tribe goes all the way this year.

4th and inches from the 50 and haynie punts. That told me all I needed to know.

I think we missed this one in the aftermath Friday night, Toss. It was actually the BOONE 45 yd. line , 4th and the length of the football. It was mid-field after the delay of game penalty. I did not think there was ever a called play, i.e., there was no intention of going for it other than the attempt to draw Boone offsides.

It's hard to imagine a QB sneak off a silent after audible or just staight silent after walk up doesnt get 18" at the other team's 45 yd. line. I have to believe the players missed the call or it was clearly one of the worst strategy decisions I have witnessed in a while.

After all , I read that the South HC stated postgame: "We wanted to be the aggressor. We tried to make first impact....".

Edited by crawdad

I think we missed this one in the aftermath Friday night, Toss. It was actually the BOONE 45 yd. line , 4th and the length of the football. It was mid-field after the delay of game penalty. I did not think there was ever a called play, i.e., there was no intention of going for it other than the attempt to draw Boone offsides.

It's hard to imagine a QB sneak off a silent after audible or just staight silent after walk up doesnt get 18" at the other team's 45 yd. line. I have to believe the players missed the call or it was clearly one of the worst strategy decisions I have witnessed in a while.

After all , I read that the South HC stated postgame: "We wanted to be the aggressor. We tried to make first impact....".

I can't comment as far as the strategy but #10 had ran it down our throats from the 8 to that point. He had avg. 6-8 yards a carry in that drive and to go weak in the knees at 4th and inches sends a very bad message. He had another chance in the 2nd half from mid-field at 4th and 4 he chose to punt. Boone had started controling the game at that point and I thought it was a bad call to punt it away.