Division II History Thread

WesVLT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never forget the 2003 MBA at BA game. Undefeated MBA was ranked in the top ten nationally by USA Today. A very young but talent laden BA team won by means of that last second "controversial" field goal. Sorry, my MBA friends, but it was legit. I've watched the video many times. That was MBA's only loss, and they went on to throttle BA in the state championship game. That MBA team was one of the most talented teams I've seen.

I still contend that the MBA field goal attempt in overtime was good. I have watched the replay many times. The ball was kicked so high it went out of the picture on the video, and BA had those stumpy short uprights. The MBA manager was standing right between the goalposts and did not have to move to catch the ball. The ref's blew that one. Of course if MBA's long snapper hadn't snapped the ball over the punters head with about a minute to go it never would have come down to that.

I still contend that the MBA field goal attempt in overtime was good. I have watched the replay many times. The ball was kicked so high it went out of the picture on the video, and BA had those stumpy short uprights. The MBA manager was standing right between the goalposts and did not have to move to catch the ball. The ref's blew that one. Of course if MBA's long snapper hadn't snapped the ball over the punters head with about a minute to go it never would have come down to that.

If I remember right, the long snapper was Tom Santi, wasn't it? One of the very few mistakes I ever saw him make! Ironically, both of his sisters were BA students.

It was a fluky win, I'll admit. MBA was more talented and experienced than BA that year for sure. The main thing most of the MBA folks were mad about at the time was the last split second field goal by BA to force the OT. I honestly don't recall any discussion about the MBA firld goal attempt in OT. But I wasn't paying much attention at that point!

If I remember right, the long snapper was Tom Santi, wasn't it? One of the very few mistakes I ever saw him make! Ironically, both of his sisters were BA students.

It was a fluky win, I'll admit. MBA was more talented and experienced than BA that year for sure. The main thing most of the MBA folks were mad about at the time was the last split second field goal by BA to force the OT. I honestly don't recall any discussion about the MBA firld goal attempt in OT. But I wasn't paying much attention at that point!

Now that you mention it I do remember that there were questions of the ref's hurrying to spot the ball for that last second field goal, and a question as to wheter BA was set, and if the ball was snapped before the time expired. Ya, I think Tom was the snapper.

Another painful MBA loss was the next year (2004) in the semifinal to MUS in Memphis. It was cold and the field was muddy and frozen. MBA was down 10 -7 with just a couple of minutes to go. Somehow MBA got the ball at about the MUS 10. I don't remember if we recovered a fumble or blocked a punt. MBA ran back to back power runs over Joe Birdsong and got the ball down to about the 3. Rather then bringing in the goal line offense and running power again Rutledge called some sort of option play that blew up. They lined up to kick the field goal and it was blocked. MUS went on to destroy BA in the finals.